Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2022, 08:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 2 Results:

North Carolina 30-19 Vermont

Connecticut 22-27 Georgia

Virginia 26-22 Washington

Florida 26-22 Tennessee

Hawaii 34-15 Montana

Michigan 31-18 Wisconsin

Minnesota 26-23 South Carolina

New Jersey 6-43 New York

Iowa 13-36 Utah

Louisiana 21-28 Oregon

Maine 28-21 Texas

Arizona 34-13 Ohio

Alaska 20-27 Pennsylvania

California 41-7 Rhode Island

Colorado 38-11 New Mexico

Illinois 17-31 Massachusetts

So there we have it. Here are all the results. WOW Texas, Alaska, New Jersey, and Illinois are already out.

It might take me up to 30 min to have Round 3 fixtures posted, but I'll do my best to have them up as soon as possible! I will be posting the procedures on how the draw for Round 3 will work first, followed by the Round 3 fixtures! Stay Tuned!

Maine 28-21 Texas How in the, Did THAT Happen

Florida vs Michigan -The Warm Weather Clinches it for Me, I Think they have the same amount of Coastline though interestingly, Florida is more exciting but Michigan is A Seriously Underrated State Nature-Wise

Hawaii vs Minnesota -Just feeling it more

California vs Oregon -Lets Give another State A Chance for once (charity vote)

Massachusetts vs Virginia -Ooooo here we go, a toughie, Welp my brain has to work overtime for about 5 minutes, Que the Jeopardy Music....... Ummmmm, Virginia, you got DC, Richmond than there's Virginia Beach down there, a bunch of history, Massachusetts you got Boston, and Than More Boston that cute little Nantucket island thing, Marthas Vineyard, Close to Rhode Island.....uhhhh Think Ima Roll With Virginia on this one. Everything Boston has can be found in DC on top of the rich history , Navy Aircraft Carriers, Richmond, Virgina Beach/Newport News, Mountains in the West etc And it doesn't get as Cold and is Less Expensive, Virginia good choice

Arizona vs North Carolina -Another Toughie, But Im Gonna go ahead with North Carolina right off the bat. Don't know if I would actually like living in a hot Brown Desert. It would be cool and interesting at first.(well technically hot and interesting at first) Phoenix is up and coming but North Carolina Answers that up with Charlotte, North Carolina Green and lush with Mountains and Beaches just like I Like it, It doesn't have the most exciting cities but I guess they'll have to do. and Ashville is underrated beauty

Georgia vs New York -Lets Give Other States a Chance (charity vote)

Colorado vs Pennsylvania - More Urban Adventures, Close to the Coast

Maine vs Utah Prettier with that Dramatic Scenery, More Outdoor Adventures, Skiing Adventures, Salt Lake City, Maine doesn't really have cities. it surely has Some Cute little towns. It has A Coast but in this rare Case, Mountains over Coast

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 07-18-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 09:28 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
LOL!!!! I love the rivalry!

What you see on here is NOTHING compared to what goes on during the Connecticut Town Tournaments that I do for my home state. There is rivalry everywhere on there. People will even do sales pitches for their own towns, and people get so worked up about it.

Earlier this year, there was a fixture of Fairfield vs New Haven which are two very popular towns in CT. Some voters were die hard fans of each town, and there were sales pitches done for both towns. People were arguing tooth and nail, and some were even being swayed and changing their votes, etc. New Haven had a strong early lead, and then Fairfield came back and took a huge lead, and we all thought Fairfield won until a few voters towards the end tied it up. Then I had to think of how to advance in a draw, and I decided on a revote for one day. It was met with a lot of criticism and protests and others were accusing me of making decisions to try and favor a certain town. The second voting round was so rivalry, that I almost lost control of the whole tournament. People were changing their votes and neutrals were even choosing one town to try and get on other people's nerves during the second voting round. It just went completely crazy, and at the last minute, New Haven came on top by 1. Then when the next round happened, some Fairfield fans voted against New Haven purposely because of scars.

I know it can be annoying sometimes, but just know that what you see here is nothing compared to what I've experienced on the Connecticut Forum. I must admit, that I do love when people are very passionate and stand up for their favorite states!
Dannys not kidding here. It's serious business on the CT Forum. Nutmeggar town loyalty knows no bounds. They will defend their turf like fierce warriors with reckless abandon like you would not believe.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:05 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
That honestly shocked me as well. As I was counting the results as the votes were coming in, Maine had an early lead, and I always thought that Texas would come back and have a bunch of later votes, but that never happened. Maine kept on receiving more and more votes. Texas did have a good amount of votes near the end, but it just wasn't enough to keep up with Maine.

I couldn't believe that Maine actually did that. Might be the biggest upset of the whole tournament so far!

Old 07-18-2022, 10:09 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
I assumed Texas was going to win, so I voted for Jessica Fletcher because I enjoyed the show. Oops.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I assumed Texas was going to win, so I voted for Jessica Fletcher because I enjoyed the show. Oops.
Your vote would not have been enough to change the outcome regardless though!

Old 07-18-2022, 10:11 PM

Deadline for Round 3 is tomorrow at 8:00pm EST / 7:00pm CST / 6:00pm MST / 5:00pm PST. Be sure to get all the last votes in.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:09 AM

52 voters this round so far! Let's see if we can get to 60 before the deadline tomorrow night! Guys, please vote! Tell all your friends from the other state forums about this!

Old 07-19-2022, 12:03 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post

Florida vs Michigan -The Warm Weather Clinches it for Me, I Think they have the same amount of Coastline though interestingly, Florida is more exciting but Michigan is A Seriously Underrated State Nature-Wise

Hawaii vs Minnesota -Just feeling it more

California vs Oregon -Lets Give another State A Chance for once (charity vote)

Massachusetts vs Virginia -Ooooo here we go, a toughie, Welp my brain has to work overtime for about 5 minutes, Que the Jeopardy Music....... Ummmmm, Virginia, you got DC, Richmond than there's Virginia Beach down there, a bunch of history, Massachusetts you got Boston, and Than More Boston that cute little Nantucket island thing, Marthas Vineyard, Close to Rhode Island.....uhhhh Think Ima Roll With Virginia on this one. Everything Boston has can be found in DC on top of the rich history , Navy Aircraft Carriers, Richmond, Virgina Beach/Newport News, Mountains in the West etc And it doesn't get as Cold and is Less Expensive, Virginia good choice

Arizona vs North Carolina -Another Toughie, But Im Gonna go ahead with North Carolina right off the bat. Don't know if I would actually like living in a hot Brown Desert. It would be cool and interesting at first.(well technically hot and interesting at first) Phoenix is up and coming but North Carolina Answers that up with Charlotte, North Carolina Green and lush with Mountains and Beaches just like I Like it, It doesn't have the most exciting cities but I guess they'll have to do. and Ashville is underrated beauty

Georgia vs New York -Lets Give Other States a Chance (charity vote)

Colorado vs Pennsylvania - More Urban Adventures, Close to the Coast

Maine vs Utah Prettier with that Dramatic Scenery, More Outdoor Adventures, Skiing Adventures, Salt Lake City, Maine doesn't really have cities. it surely has Some Cute little towns. It has A Coast but in this rare Case, Mountains over Coast
You mentioned you chose Utah over Maine.."mountains over coast"....
but Maine does have some decent sized mountains....
Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park in north central Maine is 5,269 feet......nowhere near as high as Utah's mountains...but the valleys are much much lower...
and Mt. Katahdin has an impressive "prominence" of over 4,000 feet...
for example the mountains you see as a "backdrop" in Salt Lake City are in the 8,000
to 9,000 range ....Salt Lake City is over 4,000 feet in elevation...so the "prominece" is
4,000 to 5,000 feet...in Colorado the valleys are even much higher...8,000 to 9,000 ft...
that's why those 14er's (peaks over 14,000 ft) don't look that impressive...
A bit of trivia...Mount Katahdin is the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

Another poster mentioned they chose Utah over Maine because of skiing...
and yes, Utah has fabulous skiing...but Maine isn't exactly Mississippi when it comes to
skiing....it's best ski resort..."Sugarloaf" comes closest to the big western resorts...
it has a very respectable 2,820 ft vertical drop...very good for the east....
Park City and Snowbird in Utah both have about a 3,200 ft vertical drop....
and Alta (due to very high base elevation) has less at only 2,580 ft.

So, with Maine you get coastline...mountains ...and skiing.

That's why I chose Maine but it was close and Utah is an amazing state.

Last edited by GTB365; 07-19-2022 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
That honestly shocked me as well. As I was counting the results as the votes were coming in, Maine had an early lead, and I always thought that Texas would come back and have a bunch of later votes, but that never happened. Maine kept on receiving more and more votes. Texas did have a good amount of votes near the end, but it just wasn't enough to keep up with Maine.

I couldn't believe that Maine actually did that. Might be the biggest upset of the whole tournament so far!
Maine's got a whole lot of positive mystique going in its favor. It's a beautiful state whose economy is disproportionately centered around tourism (it is "Vacationland," after all) and it spends a comparably impressive chunk of its budget on marketing itself as such on a national level. So when people outside of the region see or hear of Maine, it's almost always in the context of charming seaside villages, great craft beer, Acadia National Park, lobster rolls, and dense pine forests. And because it's a largely rural state centered around tourism, most people who visit Maine only do so by choice and for leisure which certainly helps maintain the positive image.

Contrast that with Texas which is one of the country's largest economic powerhouses and home to several major cities. And while Texas certainly has huge tourism (and relocation) appeal as well, it's also regularly in the national spotlight for things that don't always positively impact its image. And unlike Maine where the vast majority of visitors are vacationers, visitors to Texas are there for a much wider variety of reasons. Many of which don't leave visitors with the same positive taste in their mouth as vacationers in Maine.

The national perception of Texas may not be entirely accurate, but it's certainly more well rounded (and likely more grounded in experience, based on the number of annual visitors to each place) than Maine's. Maine's is a lot more romanticized. I'm certainly not saying someone can't possibly prefer Maine (I lived there for 5 years and currently have a ski cabin in the mountains of Western Maine), but I'm not in the least bit surprised that Maine could beat Texas in a poll like this.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:05 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You mentioned you chose Utah over Maine.."mountains over coast"....
but Maine does have some decent sized mountains....
Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park in north central Maine is 5,269 feet......nowhere near as high as Utah's mountains...but the valleys are much much lower...
and Mt. Katahdin has an impressive "prominence" of over 4,000 feet...
for example the mountains you see as a "backdrop" in Salt Lake City are in the 8,000
to 9,000 range ....Salt Lake City is over 4,000 feet in elevation...so the "prominece" is
4,000 to 5,000 feet...in Colorado the valleys are even much higher...8,000 to 9,000 ft...
that's why those 14er's (peaks over 14,000 ft) don't look that impressive...
A bit of trivia...Mount Katahdin is the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

Another poster mentioned they chose Utah over Maine because of skiing...
and yes, Utah has fabulous skiing...but Maine isn't exactly Mississippi when it comes to
skiing....it's best ski resort..."Sugarloaf" comes closest to the big western resorts...
it has a very respectable 2,820 ft vertical drop...very good for the east....
Park City and Snowbird in Utah both have about a 3,200 ft vertical drop....
and Alta (due to very high base elevation) has less at only 2,580 ft.

So, with Maine you get coastline...mountains ...and skiing.

That's why I chose Maine but it was close and Utah is an amazing state.
Coastline Mountains and Skiing.....Sweet! I Like Coastlines Mountains and Big Cities and Maine Has Mountains and Coastlines and Big Ci ohh Wait, Wait ta minute....Big Cities, What's Maine's Answer?

That's why I chose Utah but Maine is an amazing state

Tbh, and not saying the poster or anyone specifically because I respect all. We need Diverse Opinions. But I Never understood why the Nature and Great Outdoors Crowd where on A *City* Forum . But I am glad to have them, and their wonderful insights, I appreciate the knowledge they give. can't wait to see tournament results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City