Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2022, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 17,723 times

Advertisements

Florida vs Michigan

Hawaii vs Minnesota

California vs Oregon

Massachusetts vs Virginia

Arizona vs North Carolina

Georgia vs New York

Colorado vs Pennsylvania

Maine vs Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 12:40 PM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
What is with people?! Jealousy that one's own and/or favorite state didn't make it as far. Why are Pennsylvania, Maine and Florida being criticized so much? It's kind of annoying to be honest. Each state has their qualities, we could go through all 50 and say "I don't know how ___ state made it this far." Let's be less salty and enjoy the tournament game for what it is, fun!

Old 07-17-2022, 03:26 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
What is with people?! Jealousy that one's own and/or favorite state didn't make it as far. Why are Pennsylvania, Maine and Florida being criticized so much? It's kind of annoying to be honest. Each state has their qualities, we could go through all 50 and say "I don't know how ___ state made it this far." Let's be less salty and enjoy the tournament game for what it is, fun!
LOL!!!! I love the rivalry!

What you see on here is NOTHING compared to what goes on during the Connecticut Town Tournaments that I do for my home state. There is rivalry everywhere on there. People will even do sales pitches for their own towns, and people get so worked up about it.

Earlier this year, there was a fixture of Fairfield vs New Haven which are two very popular towns in CT. Some voters were die hard fans of each town, and there were sales pitches done for both towns. People were arguing tooth and nail, and some were even being swayed and changing their votes, etc. New Haven had a strong early lead, and then Fairfield came back and took a huge lead, and we all thought Fairfield won until a few voters towards the end tied it up. Then I had to think of how to advance in a draw, and I decided on a revote for one day. It was met with a lot of criticism and protests and others were accusing me of making decisions to try and favor a certain town. The second voting round was so rivalry, that I almost lost control of the whole tournament. People were changing their votes and neutrals were even choosing one town to try and get on other people's nerves during the second voting round. It just went completely crazy, and at the last minute, New Haven came on top by 1. Then when the next round happened, some Fairfield fans voted against New Haven purposely because of scars.

I know it can be annoying sometimes, but just know that what you see here is nothing compared to what I've experienced on the Connecticut Forum. I must admit, that I do love when people are very passionate and stand up for their favorite states!

Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
On that note, there’s still time to change your votes. The Apalachicola Bluffs aren’t like Ocala which isn’t like Big Cypress which aren’t like any of the 800 miles of beaches. And Miami is legit one of the great and unique cities in the country, but also Florida isn’t even a 1-city state as 70% live elsewhere with 11 metro areas over half-a-million. It’s diverse people, and while it’s topographically challenged, it excels at what it does to the point there is nothing else like it in the US.

Vote early and often.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:05 PM

837 posts, read 506,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
LOL!!!! I love the rivalry!

What you see on here is NOTHING compared to what goes on during the Connecticut Town Tournaments that I do for my home state. There is rivalry everywhere on there. People will even do sales pitches for their own towns, and people get so worked up about it.

Earlier this year, there was a fixture of Fairfield vs New Haven which are two very popular towns in CT. Some voters were die hard fans of each town, and there were sales pitches done for both towns. People were arguing tooth and nail, and some were even being swayed and changing their votes, etc. New Haven had a strong early lead, and then Fairfield came back and took a huge lead, and we all thought Fairfield won until a few voters towards the end tied it up. Then I had to think of how to advance in a draw, and I decided on a revote for one day. It was met with a lot of criticism and protests and others were accusing me of making decisions to try and favor a certain town. The second voting round was so rivalry, that I almost lost control of the whole tournament. People were changing their votes and neutrals were even choosing one town to try and get on other people's nerves during the second voting round. It just went completely crazy, and at the last minute, New Haven came on top by 1. Then when the next round happened, some Fairfield fans voted against New Haven purposely because of scars.

I know it can be annoying sometimes, but just know that what you see here is nothing compared to what I've experienced on the Connecticut Forum. I must admit, that I do love when people are very passionate and stand up for their favorite states!
That was a great moment in internet history. Honestly people are being very chill. On the CT forum, we are all familiar with each other's posts and I think it lets the rivalries come out strong.

On that note, PA is cool. I voted against, but it's a good state. Better than a lot that remain. Definitely better than Florida. God I hate Florida.

Last edited by WestRiverTraveler; 07-17-2022 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: typos/clarity

Old 07-17-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
That was a great moment in internet history. Honestly people are being very chill. On the CT forum, we are all familiar with each other's posts and I think it lets the rivalries come out strong.

On that note, PA is cool. I voted against, but it's a good state. Better than a lot that remain. Definitely better than Florida. God I hate Florida.
Yeah that is definitely true. We definitely all know each other on the CT forum pretty well and always come out strong and rivalry. On this forum, it is a lot bigger, and I don't think everyone knows each other and is as familiar with each other like on the CT forum, so people are a lot more chill and more reluctant to come out strong. The CT Forum almost feels like family. This one is a lot bigger, and it takes a lot more time to get to know everyone.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:02 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
When does this round end and the next one start?

Old 07-18-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
When does this round end and the next one start?
Wednesday July 20th at 8pm EST / 5pm PST

Old 07-18-2022, 10:24 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Florida vs Michigan - This one is REALLY hard for me. I generally don't care that much for Florida. That said, between family, friends, vacations, etc. I've spent a ton of time there and have found things (beyond just the beaches and theme parks which are objectively great) that I've come to really enjoy about Florida. On the other hand, I want to like Michigan more than I do. It's more my style (old, northern state with historic cities and towns, pretty wooded regions, etc.), but I have a hard time embracing it. Detroit has definitely come a ways over the past decade or so and I do like spending time there. Some of the natural scenery is extremely underrated (especially in comparison to New England which gets a lot of national attention). But as a whole, I think I lean towards Florida. Ask me tomorrow and the answer may be different.

Hawaii vs Minnesota - I almost always prefer the cold to the heat, but Hawaii is an absolute gem of a state. This was an easy call.

California vs Oregon - California has two of the world's greatest cities as well as some of the nicest natural scenery in the country. Oregon is wonderful, but California is probably my pick for favorite overall state.

Massachusetts vs Virginia - Massachusetts. This one is the battle of the state I live vs. the state where I spent a chunk of my childhood and where my father's side of the family is from (and he currently lives). Honestly, this one is closer on paper than it is in reality for me. Virginia has no Boston equivalent. And while I love coastal VA and the Chesapeake Bay, I prefer coastal MA from both an aesthetic and recreational standpoint. My father, who grows oysters and catches crabs in his back yard on the Eastern Shore will kill me for saying this, but I prefer MA/New England seafood by a wide margin. VA has the bigger mountains without question, but I think the Berkshires are prettier. Overall, it's a pretty easy choice.

Arizona vs North Carolina - Tough call for me, but I went with NC. Lots of great things to compare, but ultimately I place a lot of weight on coastal locations and access. Few places are better than NC on that front.

Georgia vs New York - New York in the biggest blowout of the round as far as I'm concerned. I prefer coastal GA over coastal NY and NY doesn't have a Savannah equivalent (which is one of my favorite cities), but that's where the GA advantages end as far as I'm concerned. NYC is the greatest city in the U.S., I prefer the mountains of NY to the mountains of GA by a big margin, I love Western New York and the Thousand Islands region is extremely underrated.

Colorado vs Pennsylvania - Colorado. I'd take Philly and potentially even Pittsburgh over Denver, but Colorado wins in most other aspects for me.

Maine vs Utah - Another tough call. As a skier, Utah is one of my favorite places. It's a stunning state. But Maine really is an incredible place and while the "mountains" of Western, ME (I have a small ski cabin there) don't compare to Utah, Maine's coast alone is enough to carry it. Portland's a charming little city and the state is dotted with quaint villages to explore.

Last edited by lrfox; 07-18-2022 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 12:45 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Florida vs Michigan - for Biscayne Bay, that's it otherwise nothing else worth writing home about

Hawaii vs Minnesota - Ya!

California vs Oregon - toughest pick, two natural beauties paired up here. The extremists knew what they were doing when taking over.

Massachusetts vs Virginia - for The Lovers again

Arizona vs North Carolina - possible future home with natural beauty, less extremists

Georgia vs New York - The Bronx Bombers!

Colorado vs Pennsylvania - another vote for natural beauty

Maine vs Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City