Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 10:53 AM

96 posts, read 58,318 times

Advertisements

Why does Michigan get so much love on this forum, and why is it doing so well relative to Florida? Well, the variety, quality and beauty of the natural environment of Michigan is simply outstanding! Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, Keweenaw Peninsula, Porcupine Mountains, Tahquamenon Falls, multiple National Forests, all the fresh (and fresh water), wide, clean beaches along Lake Michigan from the Indiana State Line all the way to the Straits of Machinac... Anyone who has seen these things AND been to Florida AND compared the two states knows that Florida, with its wide, flat beaches, generally flat and/or swampy landscape, and high humidity just can't match up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 11:02 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
Why does Michigan get so much love on this forum, and why is it doing so well relative to Florida? Well, the variety, quality and beauty of the natural environment of Michigan is simply outstanding! Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, Keweenaw Peninsula, Porcupine Mountains, Tahquamenon Falls, multiple National Forests, all the fresh (and fresh water), wide, clean beaches along Lake Michigan from the Indiana State Line all the way to the Straits of Machinac... Anyone who has seen these things AND been to Florida AND compared the two states knows that Florida, with its wide, flat beaches, generally flat and/or swampy landscape, and high humidity just can't match up.
I love Michigan and you're right about the great things it has to offer...

But to say Florida "can't match up"...that's a bridge too far. You seem to be ignoring that little thing we call "winter" - that thing that doesn't deter outdoor activities in Florida in the slightest. Michigan summers are quite humid as well.

One can only enjoy Michigan's lakes a couple of months out of the year; while Florida's beaches and waterways can be enjoyed year round.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:04 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Quote:
On top of that, there is a lot for urbanists to love from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Lansing/East Lansing, and Kalamazoo.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:39 AM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
Quote:

I get what you're saying, but saying Florida can't match up is incorrect. Some posters prefer Florida's double sided beaches (Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast) and prefer the vacation destinations that the state has MANY of. Some people do really love humid weather too. Michigan has things that make it wonderful, no doubt. But to say Florida can't match up is a bit of an arrogant statement. Everybody has different preferences.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 12,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I love Michigan and you're right about the great things it has to offer...

But to say Florida "can't match up"...that's a bridge too far. You seem to be ignoring that little thing we call "winter" - that thing that doesn't deter outdoor activities in Florida in the slightest. Michigan summers are quite humid as well.

One can only enjoy Michigan's lakes a couple of months out of the year; while Florida's beaches and waterways can be enjoyed year round.
I don't think it's fair to say Florida doesn't match up to Michigan but I can also see why many people would have a preference for the latter as do I. Saying you can only enjoy Michigan's lakes a couple of months out of the year is hyperbolic. Not to mention some of us not only don't hate winter but like it...some more than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1BzyBwZ1E

Old 07-14-2022, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 12,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
Massachusetts vs Virginia Both states are amongst my worst, won't vote
I couldn't help but notice you bolded Massachusetts but said you wouldn't vote using the same wording as a previous poster. Did you perhaps copy their post and accidently leave that in or are you abstaining from voting between these two?

Old 07-14-2022, 12:47 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
I couldn't help but notice you bolded Massachusetts but said you wouldn't vote using the same wording as a previous poster. Did you perhaps copy their post and accidently leave that in or are you abstaining from voting between these two?
OMG! Well Spotted, I didn’t even notice that! My guess is he quoted the other post and just bolded his own votes and accidentally left that in.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:53 PM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
OMG! Well Spotted, I didn’t even notice that! My guess is he quoted the other post and just bolded his own votes and accidentally left that in.

Loll good spot. Virginia is going to win this one, so Massachusetts needs all the help it can get LOL!!! Kidding about giving Massachusetts the vote of course. Just wanted to be funny lol.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:12 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Those all look very nice and seem a fair snapshot of things to find in the upper Midwest states. And maybe Michigan is the best of the Wisky, Minnesota bunch (I’m agnostic on the claim, I’m just going along). Florida however is not the best example of its kind, it’s the only one of its kind. There are no Keys anywhere else. Disney World is really the only theme park of its kind even while oft-imitated (and itself beginning as a spin-off of Disneyland). Miami is arguably the most distinctive and unique metro in the country, rivaling NYC. And that’s before you get to St. Pete’s, Ocala, Everglades, what have you.

I get Michigan is beautiful. But Florida is unique, and unlike any state near or far. For good or bad, I just am stumped.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:27 PM

130 posts, read 86,387 times
Florida vs Michigan

Hawaii vs Minnesota

California vs Oregon

Massachusetts vs Virginia

Arizona vs North Carolina

Georgia vs New York

Colorado vs Pennsylvania

Maine vs Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City