Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 12:53 PM

509 posts, read 432,859 times

Advertisements

Round 2 votes from me:

North Carolina vs Vermont: Went to university (undergrad and grad school) in Charlotte. Parents live in Asheville. Its like home away from home for me and an amazing place to live and visit.

Connecticut vs Georgia : Grew up in Savannah. Gotta go with the home state here!

Virginia vs Washington: Home

Florida vs Tennessee: Not a fan of Florida and have not travelled there since 2008. Go to Tennessee almost every year. Love the Smokies and music scene

Hawaii vs Montana: Tough one. Haven't been to either and both look incredibly beautiful. Going with Hawaii as it also has a significant city and beaches.

Michigan vs Wisconsin: I feel like I cannot reasonably vote on this as I am going to Michigan for the first time in September so won't have a good point of comparison until after that trip. In the meantime I will go with Wisconsin as Milwaukee and Madison are two of my favorite cities.

Minnesota vs South Carolina: Lots of family from South Carolina around the Greenville area which has a fantastic downtown. Love Charleston too, my hometown's sister city.

New Jersey vs New York: New York City is amazing and world class plus the natural beauty of Upstate New York just takes the cake here.

Iowa vs Utah: Been to Utah twice to see Zion NP and skiing. The natural beauty there is among the best in the US.

Louisiana vs Oregon: Despite all its faults and issues, NOLA is one of my favorite places in the world.

Maine vs Texas: Not a fan of Texas. Would take Maine any day as place to live or visit over Texas. Portland is a beautiful historic city built at a people scale with amazing restaurants and incredible scenery.

Arizona vs Ohio: Not a huge fan of Arizona outside the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff. Don't much care for the desert climate either after living in Vegas. Love the legacy cities of Ohio and OTR is one of my favorite urban neighborhoods in the US.

Alaska vs Pennsylvania: Alaska has scenic beauty, but is too isolated and lacking in walkable historic cities. Philly and Pittsburgh are both fantastic cities I like to visit.

California vs Rhode Island: California all the way. Sorry RI you just don't stand a chance here.

Colorado vs New Mexico: Tough one as Santa Fe and Taos are two of my favorite places, but the sheer size and diversity of Colorado's urban spaces, amenities, hikes, and natural spaces wins this one for me.

Illinois vs Massachusetts: Came down to Boston versus Chicago for these two as those are the only places I have been in either state. Enjoyed Boston, but Chicago just offered more of what I wanted in a city and I had a great visit there.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ent-ii-10.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 27,198 times
North Carolina vs Vermont

Connecticut vs Georgia

Virginia vs Washington

Florida vs Tennessee

Hawaii vs Montana

Michigan vs Wisconsin

Minnesota vs South Carolina

New Jersey vs New York

Iowa vs Utah

Louisiana vs Oregon

Maine vs Texas

Arizona vs Ohio

Alaska vs Pennsylvania

California vs Rhode Island

Colorado vs New Mexico

Illinois vs Massachusetts

Old 07-11-2022, 02:35 PM

613 posts, read 327,090 times

Connecticut vs Georgia

Virginia vs Washington

Florida vs Tennessee

Hawaii vs Montana

Michigan vs Wisconsin

New Jersey vs New York Going for my home state

Iowa vs Utah

Louisiana vs Oregon

Maine vs Texas

Arizona vs Ohio

Alaska vs Pennsylvania

Colorado vs New Mexico

Old 07-11-2022, 06:40 PM

154 posts, read 96,303 times
North Carolina vs Vermont - Vermont is absolutely stunning; however, NC is more well-rounded.

Connecticut vs Georgia - Connecticut is beautiful, but Georgia is where my heart is, it has a breathtaking coast, nothing in Connecticut can match Atlanta, and the weather and cost of living are much better in GA.

Virginia vs Washington I visited Lake Chelan in Washington State about 3 months ago, and VA simply cannot touch the beauty of that state. The lakes, high mountains, and scenery, in general, were superb.

Florida vs Tennessee Florida is gorgeous, but its topography is one-note and its weather is not my cup of tea. I like changes in the season. Although Tennessee does not have a coast, it is more my speed.

Hawaii vs Montana - Do I have to say much on this one?

Michigan vs Wisconsin - Michigan is stunning.

Minnesota vs South Carolina - I am not a big fan of South Carolina, but I absolutely love Minneapolis.

New Jersey vs New York - New Jersey is cool but New York is a giant. New York is well-rounded.

Iowa vs Utah Iowa is way too flat for me. Utah is extraordinary. Have you been to Park City?

Louisiana vs Oregon - I love New Orleans. Their people are some of the nicest, the food is great, and I love the party atmosphere, but overall, Oregon is magnificent. I love the earthy feel of Portland and how close it is to Seattle.

Maine vs Texas - I do not find Texas interesting at all. I have to go to Austin for work soon and I am not looking forward to it. Austin feels so generic. I do not understand the hype about that city. This is an easy one for me, Maine, all the way. Portland, ME is delightful.

Arizona vs Ohio - This is easy too. Ohio has something to offer but Arizona simply offers more in my opinion. Sedona, Phoenix, and Flagstaff absolutely stunned me. I had no idea that Arizona is this beautiful.

Alaska vs Pennsylvania I visited Alaska this past fall and there is no other state in the union that can match the scenery of Alaska. Alaska is by far my favorite state.

California vs Rhode Island - Outside of Alaska, California cannot be beaten. The fact that you can go from the beach to the mountain in about an hour or so is unbelievable.

Colorado vs New Mexico - I love Colorado. Denver is beautiful, and Breckenridge is picturesque.

Illinois vs Massachusetts - Chicago is what I consider my second hometown, and I love the people and food there, but Massachusetts offers more. Boston, Cape Cod, and the closeness to other major cities on the East Coast seal the deal for me.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:56 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Deadline for Round 2 is tomorrow at 8:00pm EST / 7:00pm CST / 6:00pm MST / 5:00pm PST. Be sure to get all the last votes in.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 2:

Deadline: Wednesday July 13th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember, anyone can jump in and vote at anytime. New Voters are always welcome to join in and vote, even if they did not participate in Round 1. We always want as many Voters and Participants as Possible!!!

Connecticut vs Georgia

Virginia vs Washington

Florida vs Tennessee

Hawaii vs Montana

Michigan vs Wisconsin

New Jersey vs New York

Iowa vs Utah

Louisiana vs Oregon

Maine vs Texas

Arizona vs Ohio

Alaska vs Pennsylvania

Colorado vs New Mexico

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 2!!!!

North Carolina vs Vermont -Vermont doesn't have any big Cites, If it did, Just One big dense City, It Could have Easily Won this

Connecticut vs Georgia. hmm The States Themselves Georgia, But in The Real World Location Location Location, Connecticut is like 45 minutes From New York City (and close to boston) Enough Said. Prefer to be Close to New York than Atlanta So Connecticut. State for State Georgia is Bigger and More Prosperous and Looks Better and has Savannah. But Connecticut Got The Location, It Is What It Is

Virginia vs Washington hmmmmmm Virginia. Seattle is Nice Washington is beautiful but Isolated and Out of the Way. Virginia is Pretty too and Closer to Way More Places, Centrally located on the East Coast and Proximity to the Nations Capital, Close to The South Close to Philly Closer to This Closer to That etc

Florida vs Tennessee -Now How You gone turn me Against my Home State. I Wanted to Vote for Tennessee But C'Mon, Universal Studios Disney World , Orlando, Busch Gardens Sports Teams The Space Center Space Coast Endless Beaches Miami Tampa Cruise Ships etc etc. Just Know It Takes A State Like Florida to Beat Tennessee. With its River Cities, Music Scenes, Mountain Scenery, 4 seasons. Growing Economy, Dollywood, Gailinburg it offers alot But Florida has So much going on, had to vote for Florida this time but the OP made me do it

Hawaii vs Montana hmm I'd Take Hawaii, They're Both Isolated But I Like Hawaii's Isolation better and its Exotic Scenery like Volcanos, I Never seen a real live Volcano before and Honolulu has an Impressive Skyline and Montana doesn't have No Big Cities, It has YellowStone and Scenery but Not Hawaii Quality, type Scenery. And I'd probably get bored in Montana Long before I get bored in Hawaii

Michigan vs Wisconsin Ooooo Toughie Here hmmmm hmmmmmmm, Wisconsin I Really dig Madison Wisconsin Natural Layout on A Isthmus (kinda like seattle's) And I Like Milwaukee's Mini Chicago LakeFront/River Vibe. Green Bay is alright and Door County Wisconsin Has Spectacular Scenery, Upper Peninsula Michigan has Great Scenery but I Like Wisconsin's Collection of Cities better, Detroit is Big and Alright but Detroit, Flint, etc have too many Problems. Suburban Detroit is Nice, Michigan away from Detroit Looks Better and is Prettier than Wisconsin, Traverse City Michigan is Vacation Worthy, Grand Rapids is up and coming, You Know What, More I think about it More I think I like Michigan better and Metro Detroit has over 4 million people which attracts big time stuff like the SuperBowl. Milwaukee will never get that big. Im Switching my Vote to Michigan!

Minnesota vs South Carolina Ooooo another toughie, But not Really South Caro has The Beaches And Warm Weather, Classic Historical Cities like Charleston and Columbia and Up and Coming Cites like Greenville and Myrtle Beach. Of Course None of them Match up too Minneapolis St Paul. but Outside of that what else does Minnesota have? Duluth? Minus -20 degree weather and frozon lakes?

New Jersey vs New York Ha Ha Easy One Easy One my friend, New York. NYC, The Adirondacks, Finger Lakes Niagara Falls etc Im not going to Write New Jersey off that easy though, Jersey Shore is Nice and New Jersey has a nice collection mix of cities and Great East Coast Location

Iowa vs Utah ahhhh tough, Gonna go with Utah though. I Like Seeing Pretty Scenery sometimes and Utah Has that in Spades I Love how Utahs Capitol Build is Set against that Mountain Backdrop in Salt Lake City. Des Moines is Up and Coming tho. This Actually wasn't that tough on second thought

Louisiana vs Oregon -Hmm Louisiana, Oregon is Prettier but it Doesnt Have New Orleans, Portland is Decent but Oregon has the same problem as Washington Isolated and Out of the Way, too far from everything But Oregon has Beaches Mountains and Spectacular Scenery. Scenery or New Orleans? Gonna go with Louisiana, New Orleans is A Unique One of a Kind, The State has Swamps and Gators not necessarily my thing but that's interesting and Louisiana has a more convenient location to other states and Plus The Food!!

Maine vs Texas Was just in Texas over the weekend, Had A Blast in Houston/Galveston. Maine is Prettier, Nicer CoastLine, Quaint little Coastal Towns but has No Bigs Cities, Texas has Dozens and More Going On. Plus Texas' Economy is Humming, does Maine even have a economy? Oh Yea well there is fishing

Arizona vs Ohio -hmmm dang this tough 3 C's and a plethora mix of cities in Ohio, Cold Weather Lake Shore, Economically Stable or Declining in parts, Or Stunning Scenery Grand Canyon, Desert Brown Landscape, HAWT(hot) weather, Phoenix Scottsdale etc Economically growing.....I Think, ..I'd Take.......
.............Arizona, It Has A Brighter Future

Alaska vs Pennsylvania Mmm Here We Go, The Wide Open Spaces vs the Urban Thing. Spectacular Scenery Mountains Fjords Polar Bears Glaciers etc. Mt Denali vs Philidelphia, Sorry But Alaska is still too Cold and far away, and It Gets DARK around 3 o'clock pm over there and Anchorage doesn't match up much to Pittsburgh or Philly and Penn is Close to NYC and Jersey Shore

California vs Rhode Island -Ha Finally something easy, the other ones have been racking my brain. California no brainer. Rhode Island is Cute and Quaint but Cali the Powerhouse, Really dont have to explain this one, With San Fran Silicon Vally Pacific Coast Highway etc etc I Think LA County ALone is the size of Rhode Island, San Diego vs Providence?? Anyways We Really Could Just Cut to the Chase. THIS IS THE STATE that's going to Win the Whole tournament lol we could just end it right now, and Crown California, they always win these things. However the Top 5 List shall be interesting

Colorado vs New Mexico -Colorado Holds my Interest More. They Could go Tit for Tat for Natural Beauty Denver/Aspen over Albuquerque/Santa fe the deciding factor

Illinois vs Massachusetts Illinois. Boston Can't beat Chicago I Dont Care How Pretty Massachusetts is Outside Boston. Chicagoland is the size of Two Bostons. Chicago is like one of my favorite cities, Its probably some other people's favorite city too

Old 07-12-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
California vs Rhode Island Anyways We Really Could Just Cut to the Chase. THIS IS THE STATE that's going to Win the Whole tournament lol we could just end it right now, and Crown California, they always win these things. However the Top 5 List shall be interesting
I am not 100% sure of that. I have a strong feeling that New York can do it. New York is a really loved state on here, and I feel it might just have enough to go over the finish line and take the crown!

Honestly, the only things that California has that New York doesn't is warm weather all year around and Disneyland. I think New York also has much superior Nature to California when it comes to forests, lakes, falls, rivers, scenery, mountains, etc.

My guess is that New York, California, and Hawaii are the Top 3 favorites!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:01 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I almost forgot about this. Here’s my selections. Jay

North Carolina vs Vermont- Vermont. The mountains and quant New England scenery is gorgeous. Plus North Carolina has way too much sprawl.

Connecticut vs Georgia - By far Connecticut. It is in the Top 5 for Gross Domestic Product, Personal Income, Family Income and Household Income plus it No. 1 for Disposable Income even when considering taxes. Georgia has truly awful public education and is too controlled by religion. Plus Georgia politics are truly horrible. There is a lot to consider but any state that sends an idiot like Marjory Taylor Green to Congress should truly be ashamed of itself.

Virginia vs Washington - Tough one but I’ll go with Washington

Florida vs Tennessee - Another tough one but for the opposite reasons. Politics and education lin both states stink but I’ll go with Florida.

Hawaii vs Montana Both beautiful but if I don’t vote for Hawaii DW will kill me.

Michigan vs Wisconsin - Both solid states but I’ll go with Michigan

Minnesota vs South Carolina - No contest, Minnesota. Education and politics are much better in Minnesota so it wins.

New Jersey vs New York - Wow, tougher than it looks. NJ is given a bum rap but NY is NY. I’ll go with NJ

Iowa vs Utah - Utah for the skiing alone.

Louisiana vs Oregon - Louisiana because of New Orleans.

Maine vs Texas - Maine because of its beauty and the lobster.

Arizona vs Ohio - Ohio

Alaska vs Pennsylvania - Alaska

California vs Rhode Island - Another tough one. Love RI’s coastline but California is so big and diverse, it can’t be excluded. California

Colorado vs New Mexico - Colorado.

Illinois vs Massachusetts- Massachusetts, need I say more?

Old 07-13-2022, 06:06 AM

Deadline for Round 2 is tonight at 8:00pm EST / 7:00pm CST / 6:00pm MST / 5:00pm PST. Be sure to get all the last minute votes in.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:02 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I am not 100% sure of that. I have a strong feeling that New York can do it. New York is a really loved state on here, and I feel it might just have enough to go over the finish line and take the crown!

Honestly, the only things that California has that New York doesn't is warm weather all year around and Disneyland. I think New York also has much superior Nature to California when it comes to forests, lakes, falls, rivers, scenery, mountains, etc.

My guess is that New York, California, and Hawaii are the Top 3 favorites!
I already know what state is my favorite, and it's not California. It's top 5, but not top 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City