Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 05:38 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

North Carolina vs Vermont - This one is a difficult match up as I have a strong affection for both states. I have lots of family connections in NC, and VT is my current home state. I love the NC coast in particular, my favorite on the East Coast. But I willingly chose Vermont to live and so far for the past three years, its lived up to its expectations. It's just a lovely state to live in and could see myself planting roots here for life. Small, rural, beautiful scenery, very live and let live, plenty of year round recreation, not too isolated and its very close to other dynamic cities and states in the region.

Connecticut vs Georgia - CT has its New England charm, but it really doesn't do much for me. All of its neighboring states simply have better options, and I've always found CT a big pain to drive through with really bad road infrastructure. Georgia with Atlanta and Savannah is my favorite state in the south to visit.

Virginia vs Washington - I like both, but I spent a fun chapter in my 20's in Seattle back in the 2000's that I always remember fondly. The outdoor experiences in WA are unmatched, though VA is a beautiful state.

Florida vs Tennessee - Hard to beat what the best beaches the contiguous US has to offer. Add the delicious Cuban food in Miami and Florida takes it for me.

Hawaii vs Montana - I love Big Sky Country, but have you seen these islands? Hawaii of all states is by far the most exceptional that I've seen.

Michigan vs Wisconsin - I've been to 45 states, but I haven't seen these two. I'd like to explore the Great Lakes, but the UP and Makinac Island have me leaning towards MI.

Minnesota vs South Carolina - Idk, SC just rubs me the wrong way, it's just not my favorite. MN by default, and I would like to see the north shore of Lake Superior.

New Jersey vs New York - I want to vote NJ as I just had a very nice time on the Jersey Shore in Ocean Grove and Asbury Park back in late spring. It's an easy state to dump on if your only experiences are driving through on the Turnpike or being hung up at EWR airport and it seems those few experiences are ones many judge the whole state by. But the more I uncover about New Jersey travelling through the state and encountering its diverse population, the more I grow to appreciate it. However, NJ alone can't beat out the diversity of what NYS has to offer from the Finger Lakes, Adirondacks, to NYC, and Long Island.

Iowa vs Utah - Utah has some of the best and most memorable hiking excursions I've done anywhere. Arches NP was awesome. I went in the off season with no crowds, got awesome photos with the red rocks back dropped by cobalt blue skies. Iowa was better than expected, nice rolling bucolic scenery.

Louisiana vs Oregon - I'd easily pick New Orleans over Portland, but the Oregon Coast is one of my favorites. Add Crater Lake and the Columbia River Gorge and Oregon takes it.

Maine vs Texas - It's a bias pick, but Maine is a New England favorite for the seafood, Acadia NP, skiing at Sugarloaf, and tubing on the Saco River. I like Texas for the food, El Paso and San Antonio are two of the friendliest cities I've visited.

Arizona vs Ohio - Easiest choice here, I love Arizona's diversity of beautiful scenery, particularly the saguaros in the Sonoran desert and the red rocks of Sedona. Tucson is one of my favorite college towns, and Flagstaff is a fun little city for a weekend away. Ohio doesn't do much for me.

Alaska vs Pennsylvania - Been to Alaska three times, once for a very white Christmas when I went skiing at Alyeska, once at summer solstice with abundant daylight on a fishing trip to Homer and Halibut Cove. It's the pinnacle of grand mountain scenery and wonderful fresh seafood. My first trip up with my family, we explored the state in a big RV. Always a great adventure visiting this state. I've been to PA and Philly a good number of times with mostly positive experiences, but it's no match for AK.

California vs Rhode Island - I'm inclined to pick RI being a New England favorite with some of my favorite beaches, islands, and coastal scenery in the region, but it can't possibly stack up to the diversity California has to offer. I use to have lot of friends living in California, sadly they have all left within the last 10 years.

Colorado vs New Mexico - I still have close connections to NM; my employer is based in ABQ and I still pine for New Mexican food and green chile. I had a great run living out there. Hate to choose between these two, but Colorado's mountains are grander, the state has a better selection of cities, and Telluride is my favorite mountain and ski town in the US. Hiking and summiting a 14'er was probably my most memorable hiking experience of a lifetime, I had so much gratitude that day. When I wanted to escape the desert, Colorado was my go to place and it's still one of my favorite states.

Illinois vs Massachusetts - My native state takes this one. When comparing outside of Boston vs Chicago; including the Cape, Islands, and Berkshires, this becomes an easy choice.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-07-2022 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 06:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
North Carolina vs Vermont

Connecticut vs Georgia

Virginia vs Washington

Florida vs Tennessee

Hawaii vs Montana

Michigan vs Wisconsin

Minnesota vs South Carolina

New Jersey vs New York

Iowa vs Utah

Louisiana vs Oregon

Maine vs Texas

Arizona vs Ohio

Alaska
vs Pennsylvania

California vs Rhode Island

Colorado vs New Mexico

Illinois vs Massachusetts

Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
North Carolina vs Vermont - milder climate and a culinary scene that I enjoy more.

Connecticut vs Georgia - milder climate and politics more in line with my own.

Virginia vs Washington - no state income tax is big for me. And I've always wanted to spend time in the Pacific NW. I've lived in Virginia, though, and it is a good state for sure.

Florida vs Tennessee - love the weather and things to do and see on the whole.

Hawaii vs Montana - my "home," which I'm looking forward to returning to later this year. Love the weather, food, atmosphere, and generally all things about Hawaii.

Michigan vs Wisconsin - this one is tough as both states are naturally wonderful in so many ways, IMO. But I've lived in Northern Michigan (Petoskey and Harbor Springs) and call that area God's Country. Truly beautifully stunning (at least in the summer ).

Minnesota vs South Carolina - this comes down to weather and cuisine for me.

New Jersey vs New York - this one is surprisingly tough for me. Brooklyn has been home for me for most of my life and my family still all lives in NYC. But, on the whole, I'd probably move to NJ as it is a little more politically balanced. And it's not far from NY so I could always easily visit.

Iowa vs Utah - of the two choices, Utah seems to have more to do that I'd enjoy.

Louisiana vs Oregon - weather and culinary scene.

Maine vs Texas - nothing else needs to be said

Arizona vs Ohio - weather wins out here for me. Food is a major plus, too, but I'd still be happy in Ohio.

Alaska vs Pennsylvania - while I hate the cold, Alaska is an absolutely beautiful place. I think I could make a go there.

California vs Rhode Island - as many issues that I have with California, it truly is a beautiful state. Great weather and great food to be found all around, too.

Colorado vs New Mexico - just seems to have more going for it, IMO.

Illinois vs Massachusetts - really not interested in living in either, but I think that MA's bigger cities seem to be safer than Illinois' biggest cities, which is a big deal for me.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 07-07-2022 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Selected New Jersey officially.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:32 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
North Carolina vs Vermont - I like Vermont, but it's too cold and snowy

Connecticut vs Georgia - I'm more at home in the South

Virginia vs Washington - Much more familiar with Virginia

Florida vs Tennessee - I like both a lot, but will go with Florida for the warmer winters

Hawaii vs Montana - Even though I'm very cold weather averse, I think I'm more averse to being stuck out on an island in the middle of the ocean

Michigan vs Wisconsin - I like both but am more familiar with Michigan

Minnesota vs South Carolina - climate makes it hard to pick Minnesota in any matchup

New Jersey vs New York - definitely Jersey

Iowa vs Utah - better scenery

Louisiana vs Oregon - I love Louisiana

Maine vs Texas - Texas just offers way more options

Arizona vs Ohio - while I do like parts of Arizona, I like the lush greenery of Ohio, particularly SW Ohio

Alaska vs Pennsylvania - Alaska is too extreme

California vs Rhode Island - it's a beautiful state full of friendly people

Colorado vs New Mexico - The chiles are better

Illinois vs Massachusetts - I wouldn't care to live in either, but I do like both southern Mass and the Berkshires

Old 07-07-2022, 08:23 AM

837 posts, read 506,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 2:

Deadline: Wednesday July 13th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember, anyone can jump in and vote at anytime. New Voters are always welcome to join in and vote, even if they did not participate in Round 1. We always want as many Voters and Participants as Possible!!!

Vermont - close. NC has beaches and mountains, but it's hard for me to vote against a New England state. Also, very close to Montreal (maybe my favorite city in the world.)

Connecticut - CT, easy.

Washington - Virginia decent. I would vote for it over a lot of states on this list, but I love the PNW.

Tennessee - Florida is possibly my least favorite state in the country. Definitely bottom 5.

Hawaii - Never been to either and I would love to visit both. I'll go with Hawaii

Michigan - I honestly don't care. I'm unimpressed by either, but wolverines are cooler than badgers.

Minnesota - I'll take the cold.

New York - tough draw. I actually like New Jersey a lot, but New York has everything.

Utah - Mormons are weird, but they are nice. Mountains wins for me.

Oregon - PNW all day.
Maine - NE all day.

Arizona vs Ohio - another battle of two terrible states. Can I vote against both? No vote.

Pennsylvania - Natural beauty vs Philly? I'll take Philly.

California - just has more. Love Little Rhody, though. My only vote against a NE state.

Colorado - So one of these gets eliminated and Ohio and AZ continue. Silly.

Massachusetts - Again, not right. Neither of these should be going out this early.

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 2!!!!
Don't like the matchups, Danny. Too many top states are getting eliminated.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:28 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I listed the Seeds on Post #91. Check that out!
You listed who the seeds were but not what their seeding was. I guess with an eye on the next round. Or are they just constantly reshuffled matchup wise each round?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:43 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
You listed who the seeds were but not what their seeding was. I guess with an eye on the next round. Or are they just constantly reshuffled matchup wise each round?
Seeding is mainly based on the vote difference that they won by in the last round. Although it was a little different this round because many states got a bye. But from now on, the seeded states will be the winners by the largest vote difference.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not big on barbecue, I guess. (Kansas City is one of the four locations in the Barbecue Pantheon, the other three being: The state of North Carolina as a whole, but especially Lexington; Memphis; and Texas, in particular the belt of German settlement in central Texas between Austin and San Antonio.)

And if you ever get the chance, you really should visit the Missouri Botanical Garden (Shaw's Garden) in St. Louis sometime. I guarantee you haven't seen anything like it in any other American city.
I do LOVE BBQ but I never knew that Missouri was famous for it. Still thats not enough to draw me there.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Don't like the matchups, Danny. Too many top states are getting eliminated.
Neither do I either, but unfortunately that is the draw. I really wish I could rig it, but I cannot, as it defeats the whole purpose of the tournament. These really annoyed me:

Maine vs Texas
New Jersey vs New York
Florida vs Tennessee
Colorado vs New Mexico

That being said, I have to disagree with you on Arizona. I really do love that state and find it very unique.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:53 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
NC vs VT ....Vermont wins slightly...

CT vs GA ....Georgia wins easily

VA vs WA....Virginia wins

FL vs TN...tough one...Florida wins ....I like Florida beaches and Disney World

HI vs MT....Montana wins easily....love Glacier National Park

MI vs WI...tough one....Michigan wins....UP and Detroit Rock City

MN vs SC....tough one....South Carolina wins....again the beaches

NJ vs NY...New York wins...much bigger ...has it all...Adirondacks!

IA vs UT....Utah wins easily....Zion...Bryce...Canyonlands...Arches..... fantastic skiing

LA vs OR...Oregon wins very easily.....not hot and muggy....beautiful mountains

ME vs TX....Maine wins....rugged coastline....nice a cool too

AZ vs OH...Arizona wins....Grand Canyon....sunny mild winters...cacti

AK vs PA ....Alaska wins easily....enormous ...awesome wilderness

CA vs RI.....California wins very easily ....California has everything!

CO vs NM...New Mexico wins...it has mountains like CO but has much more as well

IL vs MA ....Massachusetts wins ...I like Cape Cod and the Berkshires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City