Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 04:42 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

One of the interesting things about this survey is that you can often figure out people's preferences by which state they choose in certain matchups, e.g., Alaska vs. Missouri or Connecticut vs. Arkansas.

Lots of us prefer wide-open spaces and dramatic mountain scenery to more urban environments with less hilly terrain, and those people pick Alaska and Arkansas out of those two matchups (though other factors sway the latter choice as well, for Connecticut has loads of hills and forests while northwest Arkansas is in some sense the most urban part of that state even if its biggest city is not located in it).

The urbanophiles, otoh, tend to pick Missouri and Connecticut out of those pairs.

BTW, I'm now back from West Virginia, and it is a truly unique state in that there's hardly a flat place in it; they located the state capital of Charleston in one of those few flat places, but that flat place is a narrow strip along one bank of a river that's bounded by mountains (they sliced off the top of one of them to build its airport). The roads are all (or almost all) very twisty because of this.

Anyway, "wild and wonderful" definitely describes it, and while its charms don't change my vote for Louisiana, they are formidable in their own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 05:58 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Illinois vs North Dakota // Chicago plus a milder climate helped in this decision

Virginia vs Mississippi // The second best Virginia, but better than Mississippi by a long shot

Georgia vs Kansas // If Georgia wasn't so hot, it would be one of my favorite places

Alaska vs Missouri // Alaska is epic, Missouri is mediocre

Minnesota vs Kentucky // This was a tough decision, but I gave Kentucky the edge because I feel it is underappreciated.

Louisiana vs West Virginia // I am biased, but I would still pick mountains over swamps any day!

Nevada vs Rhode Island // Rhode Island may be small, but it's charming!

New Mexico vs Alabama // I've never been to either, but I think I would like the terrain and culture of New Mexico better. Alabama is just Georgia Lite.

Montana vs Nebraska // Sorry Nebraska, this is an unfair matchup for you.

Connecticut vs Arkansas // I have yet to find the appeal of Connecticut. Arkansas isn't the greatest, but it has a unique vibe that I like.

New Jersey vs Wyoming // Yellowstone beats out gritty New Jersey

Washington vs New Hampshire // This was tough because I really like NH. Having Seattle helped.

Iowa vs Indiana // Toss up, I gave Indiana the nod because of Indianapolis.

Ohio vs Idaho // This was a tough one, but I gave Idaho the nod because of its natural beauty.

Maryland vs Vermont // Vermont is one of my favorite states, but I like Maryland as well.

Tennessee vs Delaware // Tennessee is just too good!

Maine vs Oklahoma // Maine is a gem, while Oklahoma is the most bland state I've ever been to.

Wisconsin vs South Dakota // Wisconsin seems nice

Old 07-05-2022, 07:26 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the interesting things about this survey is that you can often figure out people's preferences by which state they choose in certain matchups, e.g., Alaska vs. Missouri or Connecticut vs. Arkansas.

Lots of us prefer wide-open spaces and dramatic mountain scenery to more urban environments with less hilly terrain, and those people pick Alaska and Arkansas out of those two matchups (though other factors sway the latter choice as well, for Connecticut has loads of hills and forests while northwest Arkansas is in some sense the most urban part of that state even if its biggest city is not located in it).

The urbanophiles, otoh, tend to pick Missouri and Connecticut out of those pairs.

BTW, I'm now back from West Virginia, and it is a truly unique state in that there's hardly a flat place in it; they located the state capital of Charleston in one of those few flat places, but that flat place is a narrow strip along one bank of a river that's bounded by mountains (they sliced off the top of one of them to build its airport). The roads are all (or almost all) very twisty because of this.

Anyway, "wild and wonderful" definitely describes it, and while its charms don't change my vote for Louisiana, they are formidable in their own right.
Definitely! Although, I must add that many people choose states for different reasons as well. Like for me, I don't base it off terrain as much, but a lot more on scenery, what the state has to offer, and also just personal memories and people I know that might live in a specific state.

For me, I mainly like Connecticut because it has clear towns, and the local governments are town run opposed to county run. It also has many beautiful town centers and amazing beaches. The beaches are really special because the waves do not get as intense due to the Long Island Sound, and that is very good for people that love the water but are not the best at swimming. CT also has some of the best ice cream I've ever had.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:27 AM

Deadline for Round 1 is tomorrow at 8:00pm EST / 7:00pm CST / 6:00pm MST / 5:00pm PST. Be sure to get all the last votes in.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:31 AM

Deadline for Round 1 is today at 8:00pm EST / 7:00pm CST / 6:00pm MST / 5:00pm PST. Be sure to get all the last min votes in.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 PM

127 posts, read 111,532 times
Illinois vs North Dakota

Virginia vs Mississippi

Georgia vs Kansas - barely, I like KC

Alaska vs Missouri - AK seems cool, but is too isolated and summers are underwhelming

Minnesota vs Kentucky

Louisiana vs West Virginia

Nevada vs Rhode Island

New Mexico vs Alabama

Montana vs Nebraska

Connecticut vs Arkansas

New Jersey vs Wyoming

Washington vs New Hampshire

Iowa vs Indiana - ughh I love both, this one was hard

Ohio vs Idaho

Maryland vs Vermont - really can't say, not a fan of either

Tennessee vs Delaware

Maine vs Oklahoma

Wisconsin vs South Dakota

Answers in bold.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:29 PM

I need a tiebreaker for Iowa vs Indiana before deadline!

Old 07-06-2022, 12:53 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Indiana

Old 07-06-2022, 01:29 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Iowa!

Old 07-06-2022, 01:45 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrda99 View Post

Georgia vs Kansas - barely, I like KC
Er, um, hate to be the one to tell you this…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City