Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 03:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,506 times

Advertisements

Illinois vs North Dakota

Virginia vs Mississippi

Georgia vs Kansas

Alaska vs Missouri

Minnesota vs Kentucky

Louisiana vs West Virginia

Nevada vs Rhode Island

New Mexico vs Alabama

Montana vs Nebraska

Connecticut vs Arkansas

New Jersey vs Wyoming - this is the toughest one here for me

Washington vs New Hampshire

Iowa vs Indiana

Ohio vs Idaho

Maryland vs Vermont

Tennessee vs Delaware

Maine vs Oklahoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 03:44 PM

40 posts, read 27,198 times
Illinois vs North Dakota

Virginia vs Mississippi

Georgia vs Kansas

Alaska vs Missouri

Minnesota vs Kentucky

Nevada vs Rhode Island

New Mexico vs Alabama

Montana vs Nebraska

Connecticut vs Arkansas

New Jersey vs Wyoming

Iowa vs Indiana

Ohio vs Idaho

Maryland vs Vermont

Tennessee vs Delaware

Maine vs Oklahoma

Wisconsin vs South Dakota

Old 06-30-2022, 04:27 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Illinois vs North Dakota

Virginia vs Mississippi

Georgia vs Kansas

Alaska vs Missouri

Minnesota vs Kentucky

Nevada vs Rhode Island - Basically just due to Newport and Nevada being so hot.

New Mexico vs Alabama

Montana vs Nebraska

Connecticut vs Arkansas

New Jersey vs Wyoming - Sorry, NJ just can’t win.

Iowa vs Indiana

Ohio vs Idaho - Tough call, but I’ll go Idaho for the scenery.

Maryland vs Vermont

Tennessee vs Delaware

Maine vs Oklahoma

Wisconsin vs South Dakota - Purely due to western SD.
Whats wrong with nj?

Old 06-30-2022, 05:20 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Round 1

Illinois vs North Dakota: Illinois, easily.

Virginia vs Mississippi: Virginia, easily.

Georgia vs Kansas: Going with Georgia, barely.

Alaska vs Missouri: Alaska is far more interesting to me.

Minnesota vs Kentucky: Minnesota is underrated and a better place to live.

Louisiana vs West Virginia: Louisiana, just because of the fun times I've had in NOLA.

Nevada vs Rhode Island: Never been to RI, so I'll go with Nevada, due to the beautiful Sierra Nevadas.

New Mexico vs Alabama: New Mexico for sure.

Montana vs Nebraska: This one is tough, I generally have negative feelings for both. But I'll go with Nebraska.

Connecticut vs Arkansas: CT, barely.

New Jersey vs Wyoming: NJ, barely. Wyoming is gorgeous, but weird, and cold.

Washington vs New Hampshire: Washington, barely.

Iowa vs Indiana: Iowa by a mile. Indiana is probably my least favorite US state.

Ohio vs Idaho: Ohio, because my son went to college there.

Maryland vs Vermont: Vermont, barely.

Tennessee vs Delaware: Tennessee - love Nashville

Maine vs Oklahoma: Maine by a mile.

Wisconsin vs South Dakota: I like Wisconsin.

(realizing that all but 2 of my votes were for the 1st state listed)

Old 06-30-2022, 05:25 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Just gonna say....Iowa and Minnesota are underrated, have excellent schools, clean cities, etc. Nice places. Don't always be swayed by population....

Old 06-30-2022, 08:00 PM

509 posts, read 432,859 times
Illinois vs North Dakota: Chicago and its gorgeous setting on Lake Michigan takes the cake for this one. Also, my dad is from Chicago!

Virginia vs Mississippi: Home.

Georgia vs Kansas: Born and raised in Savannah. Sorry Kansas, got to go with where I grew up.

Alaska vs Missouri: Incredible scenery and National Parks.

Minnesota vs Kentucky: Minnesota for livability and city life.

Louisiana vs West Virginia: NOLA is one of my favorite cities so Louisiana gets my vote. Though I have enjoyed the physical beauty of West Virginia too!

Nevada vs Rhode Island: Lived in Vegas. Not a huge fan of the city, but the landscape outside of it is breathtaking. RI I have been through and need to spend more time in.

New Mexico vs Alabama: Santa Fe and Taos are two of my favorite places in the US. I liked Birmingham OK.

Montana vs Nebraska: Haven't been to either, but Montana calls to me.

Connecticut vs Arkansas: This was a tough one, but as an east coaster, going to go with CT.

New Jersey vs Wyoming: Only been to Hoboken, but loved it. Wyoming has some nice scenery, but so isolated.

Washington vs New Hampshire: Love New England and the historic charming cities there like Portsmouth. Sorry Washington!

Iowa vs Indiana: Des Moines seems like a cool place. My grandpa was from Iowa.

Ohio vs Idaho: Ohio by a long shot. Yes Boise is a rising city, but I love the history, culture, and how underrated Cincinnati and Cleveland were on my visits there. Plus just better transit overall and more walkable.

Maryland vs Vermont: Probably some kind of sacrilege for a Virginian to vote for Maryland on anything, but Frederick and Annapolis are two of my most favorite cities in the US and really its a lot like home. After Virginia and Wisconsin (see vote below), I could see myself in Maryland.

Tennessee vs Delaware: I mean Dollywood come on!

Maine vs Oklahoma: Maine by a long shot. Scenery, history, and great beer.

Wisconsin vs South Dakota: Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities by a long shot. I also really like Madison. Lake Michigan coastline, Apostle Islands, and Door County is fantastic. Very friendly people overall and the best bar scene. If I could live somewhere other than where I live now, it would be Wisconsin.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:38 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Oh My Goodness, Nevada has equalized with Rhode Island!!!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:14 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I gotta say that Vermont beating Maryland comfortably so far is quite surprising to me. Maryland has Washington D.C., and the eastern and western shores. It's FAR from over, but I thought Maryland would win this. Although I do think that D.C. is technically considered separate and not really part of Maryland but it's the closest to MD, and I think many people consider it in Maryland technically. Even without D.C., it still really surprises me though.

The Western and Eastern Shores of Maryland are extremely beautiful. Like have any of you been to Ocean City or Lexington Park?
Technically?

The District of Columbia is what remains of the "district not to exceed ten miles square" stipulated in the Constitution as the place where the national capital was to be located. The Constititution grants Congress control of said district. It originally included territory in Virginia — today's Arlington County and part of the city of Alexandria — which was returned to that state in 1846.

What remains has neither legal nor political connection to Maryland, and no one in this part of the country would even suggest that the two are in some way joined. About as close as one might get would be opponents of statehood for the District, some of whom argue that the way to fix the problem District residents now protest via the legend on their license plates — "taxation without representation" — is to give it representation in Maryland's Congressional delegation. (Congress may have Constitutional authority over the District of Columbia, but the city has run itself since the late 1960s, and it also has a non-voting delegate in Congress. Edited to add: Were it a state, it would be the third least populous, ahead of Vermont and Wyoming and just behind Alaska.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 06-30-2022 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 09:15 PM

295 posts, read 355,359 times
ROUND #1:

Illinois vs North Dakota - Lincoln Park or West Loop (famous areas of Chicago) alone beat the whole state of North Dakota. The whole city of Chicago would be too much for ND. North Dakota is nothing but farms.

Virginia vs Mississippi - Arlington, VA is enough for the whole state of MS.

Georgia vs Kansas - Atlanta. Enough said. Although Kansas does have some underrated areas in Wichita and Topeka.

Alaska vs Missouri - None. But if I had to pick one it would be the Cold State of Alaska.

Minnesota vs Kentucky - Minnesota is also known as the Land of Lakes. MN is underrated.

Louisiana vs West Virginia - New Orleans is in Louisiana. WV is also backward.

Nevada vs Rhode Island - Nothing beats the Unique City of Las Vegas. Got to give this one to NV.

New Mexico vs Alabama - Both states are legit empty, but NM has a desert landscape so that's a plus.

Montana vs Nebraska - Both states are the same to me. Talk about Flyover States.

Connecticut vs Arkansas - Connecticut.

New Jersey vs Wyoming - NJ has great strategic location, being located so close to NY and the other great cities of the Northeast. What does Wyoming have?

Washington vs New Hampshire - Washington is one of the most Iconic States of the Land being blessed with natural beauty and nature.

Iowa vs Indiana - Iowa.

Ohio vs Idaho - Ohio due to coast, history and location. Idaho is the most overrated state in the Land.

Maryland vs Vermont - Maryland. It has a great location and I like that it's got some cool cities like Baltimore.

Tennessee vs Delaware - Delaware due to the ocean, scenery, location.

Maine vs Oklahoma - Maine has much better scenery then Oklahoma ever will have.

Wisconsin vs South Dakota - WI has amazing coastline unlike landlocked South Dakota.

Last edited by LakersWon310; 06-30-2022 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 09:24 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,523 times
Illinois vs North Dakota

Virginia vs Mississippi

Georgia vs Kansas

Alaska vs Missouri

Minnesota vs Kentucky

Nevada vs Rhode Island

New Mexico vs Alabama

Montana vs Nebraska

Connecticut vs Arkansas

New Jersey vs Wyoming

Iowa vs Indiana

Ohio vs Idaho

Maryland vs Vermont

Tennessee vs Delaware

Maine vs Oklahoma

Wisconsin vs South Dakota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City