Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 06:26 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Colorado vs Pennsylvania - I don't see how PA made it this far.
Ignorant comment. Pennsylvania is, for many people, a "goldilocks" state of the Northeast. Not as obscenely cold or expensive, and much more politically balanced/moderate (which is very difficult to find these days with intense polarization). Combined with superior history, great topography, two great urban hubs, and very strong "eds and meds" your comment clearly doesn't account for those factors.

I've noted now a trend of you nutmeggers making not-so-thinly-veiled jabs at PA, and I have no idea why. It's kind of odd, really.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-16-2022 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 07:10 PM

30,618 posts, read 18,198,614 times
^^I can live anywhere, but I prefer city life. I must say that Philadelphia does not impress me much, which puts PA down a lot for me. I feel the same way about Baltimore. My father went to Carnegie Mellon, however, and has fond memories of Pittsburgh.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:22 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
^^I can live anywhere, but I prefer city life. I must say that Philadelphia does not impress me much, which puts PA down a lot for me. I feel the same way about Baltimore. My father went to Carnegie Mellon, however, and has fond memories of Pittsburgh.
To each their own. Clearly not everyone feels the same about every place; I just felt it was worth interjecting, obviously PA does still resonate for many people via voting trends.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:24 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Ignorant comment. Pennsylvania is, for many people, a "goldilocks" state of the Northeast. Not as obscenely cold or expensive, and much more politically balanced/moderate (which is very difficult to find these days with intense polarization). Combined with superior history, great topography, two great urban hubs, and very strong "eds and meds" your comment clearly doesn't account for those factors.

I've noted now a trend of you nutmeggers making not-so-thinly-veiled jabs at PA, and I have no idea why. It's kind of odd, really.
I think PA is a beautiful state. I'm not much into big cities anywhere - they're fun to visit but that's it for me. I'll take the smaller towns any day. New Hope comes to mind.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:49 PM

295 posts, read 355,295 times
Florida vs Michigan Michigan has natural beauty, better COL and people. What does FL have outside of retirees, flat land and blazing hot beaches?

Hawaii vs Minnesota

California vs Oregon

Massachusetts vs Virginia

Arizona vs North Carolina

Georgia vs New York

Colorado vs Pennsylvania Talk about the P in Pennsylvania standing for Perfect. Pennsylvania is what makes the East Coast great.

Maine vs Utah SLC carries Utah here. Not sure how Maine made it this far.

Last edited by LakersWon310; 07-16-2022 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-16-2022, 08:27 PM

358 posts, read 620,904 times
Florida vs Michigan - I can't explain it but there's an vibe/energy in Florida that's very off-putting to me

Hawaii vs Minnesota - Not a fan of being that far out on an island in the middle of the ocean

California vs Oregon - California is like it's own separate country - I wouldn't want to live there but enjoy traveling there

Massachusetts vs Virginia - This is like a second home for me

Arizona vs North Carolina - This is home!

Georgia vs New York - This was the hardest choice but got to go with New York - can't vote against a state that offers NYC

Colorado vs Pennsylvania - See Duderino's post a few posts above

Maine vs Utah - SLC > Portland

Old 07-16-2022, 09:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 3:

Deadline: Wednesday July 20th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember, anyone can jump in and vote at anytime. New Voters are always welcome to join in and vote, even if they did not participate in Round 1 or 2. We always want as many Voters and Participants as Possible!!!

Florida vs Michigan

Hawaii vs Minnesota

California vs Oregon

Massachusetts vs Virginia

Arizona vs North Carolina

Georgia vs New York

Colorado vs Pennsylvania

Maine vs Utah

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 3!!!!
My vote above.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:19 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Florida is one of the least interesting states -- topographically -- in America. It is an isthmus of swamps and sinkholes between a gulf and an ocean. The beaches *are* pretty and the Keys are certainly unique but the rest of the state, including the everglades, is eminently forgettable. It's a more boring Kansas with swamps.
I think Kansas is an incredbily underrated state. The southeast corner of the state (Baxter Springs) would hav seemingly nothing in common with the southwest corner of Elkhart. Might as well be two different biospheres. The high point of Kansas is over 4,000 feet, and goes under 1,000 feet in the Missouri River Valley.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:27 AM

30,618 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I sometimes go back and count the votes for the round myself. Florida and Michigan are pretty neck and neck

Old 07-17-2022, 05:28 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think Kansas is an incredbily underrated state. The southeast corner of the state (Baxter Springs) would hav seemingly nothing in common with the southwest corner of Elkhart. Might as well be two different biospheres. The high point of Kansas is over 4,000 feet, and goes under 1,000 feet in the Missouri River Valley.
...and it's on the high plains.

The Kansas City Star — published in Missouri, it was for years the only newspaper that circulated statewide in Kansas, and in the 1950s, its editor, Roy Roberts, landed on the cover of Time for his role as a kingmaker in Kansas Republican politics (the state was heavily Republican then and still is now, though they do elect Democrats there from time to time, and all the time in Wyandotte County [=Kansas City, KS]) — did a really funny story on that highest point, known as Mount Sunflower.

The article mentioned people looking to climb up Mount Sunflower. "'Stroll' is more like it," the reporter wrote.

But good for you for pointing out southeast Kansas. This was the state's coal-mining region (bet you didn't know they mined coal in Kansas, did you?), and the Kansas City Southern Railroad, which made a bee line due south from KC close to the Missouri state line, veers into this part of the state before heading into Arkansas to serve its largest city, Pittsburg (yes, named after the Pennsylvania city, but it dropped the h from its name at the urging of the United States Board of Geographic Names). And yes, it's like no other part of the state.

Also worth noting, however: Crawford County, of which Pittsburg is the county seat, has a sizable population of Eastern and Central Europeans who settled there to work the coal mines. One other Kansas county has a notable Central/Eastern European immigrant population: Wyandotte, long a center of industry and railroads — I call it "a little bit of the Rust Belt on the prairie" — and the most heavily and reliably Democratic county in the state. Fans of the makeover series "Q***r Eye," which Netflix revived in the late 2010s, may recall one of the episodes from Season 4 (which the Fab Five spent in Kansas City) titled "On Golden Kenny." Its subject, Kenny Yarnevich, often hung out in a Lithuanian social club on KCK's Strawberry Hill — where I recall attending a Russian Orthodox wedding as a child.

AFAIK, Omaha is the only city in the other four states that comes even close to having the level of industry either KCK or Wichita (a center of aircraft manufacturing) has, and most of it is related to food production.

(Personal aside: The Star, btw, is where I cut my teeth, professionally speaking: I was a copy boy there during my high school years and a summer reporting intern the summer before I went to college — the only one the paper ever hired right out of high school.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City