Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 09:38 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, you're right, I meant to say North Broad station. It does require vision and determination on the part of municipal government to make this happen, but I think it makes a lot of sense and essentially extends the six station trunk to essentially a seven station one (though it's two stations next to each other) and provides an additional jumping off point to the subway. Ideally, NJT Atlantic City line would also be improved and integrated into higher frequency regional rail services essentially operating as an additional SEPTA RR line. I think if the area can be developed enough and SEPTA RR becomes very good, then I think it'd be nice for Amtrak to run Keystone Service and the Pennsylvanian and potentially new services to operate North Philadelphia as its main stop for those services so it doesn't need to pull into 30th Street Station and then do a reversal which takes time and instead just use a wye around Philadelphia Zoo to go straight on ahead.
That was North Philadelphia Station's original purpose: it was the main station for trains headed from New York to points west of Philadelphia that allowed them to bypass Broad Street Station. (A similar station in West Philadelphia for trains headed south was replaced by today's 30th Street Station)

The deterioration of the neighborhood around the station led Amtrak to institute the 30th Street stop and reversal.

The original station building itself is now part of a strip mall, and Amtrak has a small station box north of the tracks. Things probably won't change back until the area around North Philadelphia station redevelops and becomes safer, and what you propose would hasten that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 10:01 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That was North Philadelphia Station's original purpose: it was the main station for trains headed from New York to points west of Philadelphia that allowed them to bypass Broad Street Station. (A similar station in West Philadelphia for trains headed south was replaced by today's 30th Street Station)

The deterioration of the neighborhood around the station led Amtrak to institute the 30th Street stop and reversal.

The original station building itself is now part of a strip mall, and Amtrak has a small station box north of the tracks. Things probably won't change back until the area around North Philadelphia station redevelops and becomes safer, and what you propose would hasten that day.

Yea, that makes sense. The reversal adds something like 15+ minutes to the schedule. With Glenwood becoming a destination in and of itself and access to a frequent regional rail service going to points north and west along with BSL subway service (and maybe a Lehigh Ave trolley), then it makes North Philadelphia as the stop for these services become reasonable. It'd also be neat then to do more services like an Amtrak line that goes through much of Pennsylvania, then North Philadelphia station then going out with the NJT Atlantic City line to the Jersey shore or perhaps an additional SEPTA Regional Rail line if Glenwood does succeed as a secondary CBD that goes from the Western suburbs straight through to the eastern / northern suburbs so as to not take up capacity in the Center City Commuter Tunnel once SEPTA RR commits to frequent all-day all-week service.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:54 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear and specified that I meant historical districts from the colonial era. There’s a ton from the 1800s, but how many of those listed here are from the revolutionary era?
Or the Dutch period before that. Why are people misunderstanding that "not having as many" is not the same thing as "not having any at all". NYC isn't #1 in everything, guys.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:58 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
'NYC is one of the great cities in the world but it has no direct airport connection" said no one ever. The hate is real.
Are you kidding? I say it ALL the time. I travel a lot for work and my family is from Queens. Do you know what I hate more than anything? Flying into JFK or LaGuardia because i know it's going to be a pain in the tuchus to leave the airport and a pain in the tuchus to get back there.

If I'm flying in to Atlanta, Chicago, DC, San Fran, and a few others I can get off and take the city's metro to my final destination. The fact that I can't do that easily in NYC is mind boggling to me.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:24 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
going to be hated in but New York mostly lacks unique native cuisine. Due to its cultural power and massive expat community anything that was local to NYC has spread across the country in a way like mambo sauce, Orange Crush, Coffee milk, Greek Pizza or what not have not
So does that mean New Orleans now lacks native cuisine too since Applebee's and Cheesecake Factory have jambalaya on their menus?

Old 08-16-2023, 08:31 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you kidding? I say it ALL the time. I travel a lot for work and my family is from Queens. Do you know what I hate more than anything? Flying into JFK or LaGuardia because i know it's going to be a pain in the tuchus to leave the airport and a pain in the tuchus to get back there.

If I'm flying in to Atlanta, Chicago, DC, San Fran, and a few others I can get off and take the city's metro to my final destination. The fact that I can't do that easily in NYC is mind boggling to me.
Yeah, it's a pretty big knock on NYC. Even in transit-deficient America, several cities are better than NYC in that regard. You named a few several. Boston and Philadelphia are both better. Even Baltimore and Cleveland are better. When you think of NYC's global peers, do any of them have worse (or even similar) transit acess to the airport? London? Paris? Tokyo? All much better.

And anecdotally, I travel between Boston and DC and Boston and NYC quite a bit. I live within walking distance of the airport here, and always fly to DCA. It's painless and hands down the fastest way to travel between the two cities because the connections on either end are great. Flights to NYC run hourly out of BOS and gate to gate time is under 1.5 hours to LGA or JFK. But I split my travel between Acela, driving/metro north, and driving all the way. Because when you factor in the time spent in the airport (even with Precheck/CLEAR) and the hassle of getting from either airport (or EWR) to Manhattan, there's not much advantage to flying. Poor airport access is a very real factor when traveling to/from NYC and a pretty common topic of discussion when it comes to travel.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:33 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So does that mean New Orleans now lacks native cuisine too since Applebee's and Cheesecake Factory have jambalaya on their menus?
Bagels and Pizza, Cheesecake are just not in any way limited outside of New York.

Plus there are quite a few things that are really quite rare outside New Orleans.

Like a PoBoy isn’t on every sub shop menu. Not are BonBons or Beignets at every bakery. Bagels are literally everywhere, so is Pizza or Long Island Ice Teas. Orange Crushs for example I don’t even think they really even reach into DC from Baltimore.

A good example is the Chocolate Chip Cookie was invented in the South Shore of Massachusetts but the Chocolate Chip cookie is not a regional dish. That’s kind of where most “New York things” are on the continuum of Local to national.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
A good example is the Chocolate Chip Cookie was invented in the South Shore of Massachusetts but the Chocolate Chip cookie is not a regional dish. That’s kind of where most “New York things” are on the continuum of Local to national.
In fairness, you can get a good chocolate chip cookie anywhere and outside of the trivia world, I doubt anyone has associated the chocolate chip cookie with MA. It's still hard to find a NY quality bagel outside of the NYC area. Same for NY pizza. Just because NYC is influential enough that things are labeled "NY Style Bagels" or "NY Style Pizza" in other parts of the country doesn't mean that those things are truly comparable to actual NY pizza or bagels.

This one may just be me, but I've yet to find a Jewish deli outside of the NYC area that really compares to what I've had in NYC. Pastrami on rye is probably the most well known order, but there are others too.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:57 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In fairness, you can get a good chocolate chip cookie anywhere and outside of the trivia world, I doubt anyone has associated the chocolate chip cookie with MA. It's still hard to find a NY quality bagel outside of the NYC area. Same for NY pizza. Just because NYC is influential enough that things are labeled "NY Style Bagels" or "NY Style Pizza" in other parts of the country doesn't mean that those things are truly comparable to actual NY pizza or bagels.

This one may just be me, but I've yet to find a Jewish deli outside of the NYC area that really compares to what I've had in NYC. Pastrami on rye is probably the most well known order, but there are others too.
Pastrami on Rye? If you think New York Pastrami on Rye is special then idk what to tell you, you have a New York Fetish.

Honestly same with Bagels too. It’s boiled dough my man. It’s utterly simple. The main difference is the thru put if most NYC bakeries is higher than one in like Suburban CT so you get consistently fresh bagels.

Also people get brainwashed by vibes. People swear by some lobster roll at a seafood place in like Newburyport as if the place in Amesbury doesn’t get the exact same meat like 15 minutes later (alive as well, it doesn’t even spoil). But it feel like it should be better. But it’s not. It feels like some strip mall in Ohio should be mediocre compared to a “NY Slice” but it isn’t.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Pastrami on Rye? If you think New York Pastrami on Rye is special then idk what to tell you, you have a New York Fetish.

Honestly same with Bagels too. It’s boiled dough my man. It’s utterly simple. The main difference is the thru put if most NYC bakeries is higher than one in like Suburban CT so you get consistently fresh bagels.
You're definitely over-simplifying food for the sake of proving a point.

Thick cuts of pastrami made in-house stacked high on fresh rye are definitely a notch above what you'll find in most of the rest of the county. There are many places in New York that do this, but you'll have a hard time finding anything better than mass produced Boar's Heat in the vast majority of the U.S. And even the specialty spots you can find outside of NYC (LaGrassa's or Beantown Pastrami here in Boston) are outliers rather than the norm.

A good bagel takes time to make, including sitting for days in a refrigerator before boiling (and even that isn't just water), and then baking. Many places skip the boiling altogether because time=money and all of that. Others don't refrigerate the dough as long. Even the ingredients in the dough varies. You can find a good bagel outside of NYC, but the quality isn't nearly as consistent once you leave the city. I have a couple of good bagel shops I frequent here in Boston, but you can just as easily get the cheap, baked crap all over the place if you're not actively seeking out "good" bagels. It's even harder in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City