Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 09:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times

Advertisements

So basically you want us to debate something that can only be quantified in "feels"? You don't want to use statistics because you say that, that doesn't capture the full picture for atl because entrepreneurship can't be measured? Or that people are laundering more money in atl? I'm not sure what this thread is about lol. I also found it a tad trite to say black culture, in general is "flashy."

Old 09-11-2023, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 18,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
So basically you want us to debate something that can only be quantified in "feels"? You don't want to use statistics because you say that, that doesn't capture the full picture for atl because entrepreneurship can't be measured? Or that people are laundering more money in atl? I'm not sure what this thread is about lol. I also found it a tad trite to say black culture, in general is "flashy."
Black folks spend more relative to what we earn .. this isn’t hidden knowledge

And use statistics but keep them in perspective.. right? If DC and Atlanta was indentical in region and workforce you’d have a point.. but entrepreneurship and wealth matters.. correct?

This is not saying DC loses on those .. but these black Mecca lists based on stats often include places like Austin and San Antonio .. do you think people’s perceptions thay that’s off is problematic? Proper context of things are always in need brotha!

Cheers

Old 09-12-2023, 06:16 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
I think household income is misleading…

This is more indicative of Atlanta black wealt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yboSsq...IEF0bGFudGE%3D

On paper DC looks like it has more money. But I think the millionaire entrepreneurs in Atlanta aren’t counted in a lot of those. Maybe they are finding ways to hide money or register business in even more tax friendly states or they make a lot one year and not the other .. who knows… I do know tracking household income for government workers of DC is gonna hold more consistent than entrepreneurs

I don’t know to many in real life who think of DC as having more black wealth than Atlanta… Miami is starting to become a haven for Caribbean transplants from the NE
Everything is the post is based off of subjective feelings but the data shows differently. I suppose it’s possible that Atlanta has a larger scammer/criminal class but I highly doubt it’s significant enough that the average black Atlantan has more wealth than what the data shows.

For Caribbean people, the 1% may live in South Florida but the average Caribbean American is wealthier in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic than those in Florida.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:21 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
DC has the most educated and professional Black population in the entire country. It’s a very different feel and the culture is also different because of it. I think a fair assessment could be the difference between old money (DC) and new money (Atlanta) in the way they feel. Their presence is different. That doesn’t make one better than the other. It does create the environment and culture for both cities.

Recently, there was a social media viral argument comparing Atlanta and DC. People in Atlanta were saying they were “Chocolate City” now. Someone made a point arguing that Atlanta is “DC without the degree” which could make the case for what is important in each city. The culture of Atlanta doesn’t require someone to get a degree while living in DC without a degree will impact your social perception. Two different cities with very different cultures that are both successful at what they do.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:08 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has the most educated and professional Black population in the entire country. It’s a very different feel and the culture is also different because of it. I think a fair assessment could be the difference between old money (DC) and new money (Atlanta) in the way they feel. Their presence is different. That doesn’t make one better than the other. It does create the environment and culture for both cities.

Recently, there was a social media viral argument comparing Atlanta and DC. People in Atlanta were saying they were “Chocolate City” now. Someone made a point arguing that Atlanta is “DC without the degree” which could make the case for what is important in each city. The culture of Atlanta doesn’t require someone to get a degree while living in DC without a degree will impact your social perception. Two different cities with very different cultures that are both successful at what they do.
This makes a lot of sense. And I definitely notice a difference in culture because of it. Not a value statement but it stands out as the major difference between the two regions.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Everything is the post is based off of subjective feelings but the data shows differently. I suppose it’s possible that Atlanta has a larger scammer/criminal class but I highly doubt it’s significant enough that the average black Atlantan has more wealth than what the data shows.

For Caribbean people, the 1% may live in South Florida but the average Caribbean American is wealthier in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic than those in Florida.
Well, we know I’m obviously going to agree with OP lol. Just because someone hasn’t tallied a particular stat (how could you on this?) doesn’t mean it is subjective. We know Miami has more underground money than somewhere like Columbus Ohio without it being tallied up… right?

There’s a multitude of reasons for why the average person is justified in thinking this. Places like Miami and Atlanta just attract a certain type of person who is willing to do more to flash.

These kinda things are common in Atlanta:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...outputType=amp

^^30 million dollar fraud sting

There are literally songs made with hooks referencing the scammer culture in Atlanta

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ONTXHS2mM

Of course this isn’t anything to brag about. But it would explain level of flash you see in Atlanta compared to DC. Y’all are attributing this to 50k millionaire culture, but that can’t explain the high concentration of black folks in maybachs and Rolls flying through these streets. You can not flash on 50k with those.

To put it more empirically, Atlanta is the new hub for hip hop. Rappers have always bragged about ways to make money under the radar. Being teh cutting edge with fast money — crackin cards (scammin) just so happens to be new drug dealing. It makes sense that the wealth in black community wouldn’t necessarily be reflected on annual income. I don’t know too many people here who buy nice things with incomes off their square jobs.

Even before Atlanta was on the scene. BMF was headquartered here. Big Meech and all the associates had 100s of millions. It just what Atlanta attracts and is known for. Millions of dollars isn’t negligible

Last edited by meep; 09-12-2023 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-12-2023, 08:33 AM

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ech-net-worth/

Employeed 500 and racked 270 million by what can be estimated. This was 20 years ago.

The organization just didn’t disappear. And if you don’t believe the associates that didn’t get jammed didn’t continue making profit in Atlanta, you are just naive.

I wonder if that 270 million wasn’t counted on the census for Atlanta back then lol. This is why there is such a discrepancy in what household income stats say vs what any ol body notices when they reach Atlanta. No one Wowed by DC black money culture if they’ve been here. I would say Houston to a lesser extent is following in our footsteps on the fast money wave… which is unfortunate.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:34 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
What I find most interesting are all the race related threads in this forum. One would think the entire country was still segregated by law if someone from the 1800s were to read many of these threads and related posts.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
exactly! The average Black resident of Atlanta metro and DC metro are not wealthy. I always tell people that the real Atlanta is not like Real Housewives of Atlanta or the rap videos that paint this luxury flashy lifestyle of the city. Do those demographics exist in Atlanta? For sure and probably more so than other major cities in the country. But the vast majority are just regular Black folks working a 9 to 5 like every other Black American. But for some reason so many people solely equate Black excellence to wealth. Like you stated I consider places like Atlanta and DC highly favorable (or meccas) based off their culture and experiences for the Black people of all backgrounds and classes.

If people want a more accurate depiction of Atlanta just watch the Donald Glover show Atlanta. It's a show stepped in surrealism but they actually do a good job in depicting the most accurate version of Atlanta.
Literally every city has a working class, when talking about a thing that distinguishes a city — we wouldn’t bring that up, as it common trend.

People generally compare the unique aspects of a city. I did a lot of growing up here. I know there is poverty from the Swats to Lithonia. No need to remind of people who just get by lol.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
I think household income is misleading…

This is more indicative of Atlanta black wealt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yboSsq...IEF0bGFudGE%3D

On paper DC looks like it has more money. But I think the millionaire entrepreneurs in Atlanta aren’t counted in a lot of those. Maybe they are finding ways to hide money or register business in even more tax friendly states or they make a lot one year and not the other .. who knows… I do know tracking household income for government workers of DC is gonna hold more consistent than entrepreneurs

I don’t know to many in real life who think of DC as having more black wealth than Atlanta… Miami is starting to become a haven for Caribbean transplants from the NE
They schleep tho!

No bloggers and influencers would think to pick DC over Atlanta to illustrate black go-getters and luxury lifestyle to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City