Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Scamming is not the flex you think it is
Who cares if it is a flex. How can you all not comprehend. That a particular underworld culture can produce different visuals than another? It’s really not hard reasoning to follow. You don’t have to approve of ot. It doesn’t change that it exists, and it (scamming) one of the memes attached to Atlanta in the 2000s

Old 09-12-2023, 03:20 PM

16 posts, read 18,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
Over 1/3 of DC black folks stay there. There’s no county in Atlanta with 35% of the overall back population of the metro area. If you put all the wealth in the city of south Fulton and buckhead into Dekalb.. Dekalb would be 1. Just so happens that black Atlantans are more dispersed throughout than in DC

misleading to talk about a county. I do know you see more black folks in nicer parts of Atlanta than black folks in the nicer parts of DC… DMV folks don’t consider PG wealthy. The incomes are higher relative to the Deep South because of where it is located .. not a flex at all

A flex is seeing black folks leaving condos in their cities most upscale district and driving off Aston Martins and Royces

You just don’t see that in DC. Not on a consistent basis at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Eh, expensive can mean multiple things. There may be parts of other places that have more expensive zip codes than DC. But DC is one of the most expensive regions in the world, def top 5 in the nation. Maybe I’m thinking of housing prices and the like on a metro level. The DC burbs are very well to do and sophisticated, especially Nova.

And we all know everywhere has “crime proceeds” but I bring up notable BMF because its indicative of specific level of proceeds typical of the Atlanta underworld. They blew a quarter billion 20 years ago. It’s large enough to influence what is visible. This is why people leave Atlanta a lot more impressed in the visuals.. this wouldn’t be picked up on paper. There’s nothing recent in black DC history like BMF.

DC is a much more square place for blacks. And you know it. People are more career focused, Atlantans live more like Miami. Someone could hit a lick here one year and not make any more money for a few years. It’s just different.

The fact that this board isn’t interested in that is a big reason why its hard to understand money in Atlanta. You just don’t see 23- 28 year olds whipping around the DMV in quarter million dollar cars and leasing out condos.

Not going going to lie! This makes sense .. though a real unconventional way to look at it

Old 09-12-2023, 03:23 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Eh, expensive can mean multiple things. There may be parts of other places that have more expensive zip codes than DC. But DC is one of the most expensive regions in the world, def top 5 in the nation. Maybe I’m thinking of housing prices and the like on a metro level. The DC burbs are very well to do and sophisticated, especially Nova.

And we all know everywhere has “crime proceeds” but I bring up notable BMF because its indicative of specific level of proceeds typical of the Atlanta underworld. They blew a quarter billion 20 years ago. It’s large enough to influence what is visible. This is why people leave Atlanta a lot more impressed in the visuals.. this wouldn’t be picked up on paper. There’s nothing recent in black DC history like BMF.

DC is a much more square place for blacks. And you know it. People are more career focused, Atlantans live more like Miami. Someone could hit a lick here one year and not make any more money for a few years. It’s just different.

The fact that this board isn’t interested in that is a big reason why its hard to understand money in Atlanta. You just don’t see 23- 28 year olds whipping around the DMV in quarter million dollar cars and leasing out condos.
The days of BMF been over with in Atlanta so I don't understand why you continue to bring it up. It was over in 2008 and Atlanta nightlife and flash culture is nowhere near the same as those days.

Also the scam culture you speak of is specific to a demographic that is not even reflective of the larger Black population in Atlanta metro. Like I always say most of Atlanta is similar to everywhere else in the country.

I also think that subculture of Atlanta you're referring to has also turned a lot of people off of Atlanta. As much as I like Atlanta, it's reputation has taken some hits in the past couple of years. And the scam and flashiness doesn't impress many people as you think it does.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
I’m well aware of household income disparity, honestly COL discrepancy makes that “wealth” less pronounced. DC is one of the most expensive metros in the world. Obviously the salaries will be higher there than Atlanta. Atlanta has much larger black underclass, we have more black people. Period. So stats can also mislead on that front.

That poster just made nonsense statement about us living in lawrenceville, when the city of south Fulton is literally 99% black, household income of 80k with over 100k ppl, and only a 10 mile drive into the city.

Secondly, even granting what you said, it doesn’t undercut my point about the entrepreneurial and underground money Atlanta. Just because scamming and hustlin isn’t the lane of the posters here doesn’t mean it doesn’t influence what people see here.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...outputType=amp

A recent 30 million dollar money laundering scheme here, that involved a couple dozen locals. This is widespread in Atlanta. These are the people in 300 thousand dollar whips. And common knowledge in black culture that Atlanta is full of BBLs and Scammers.

It’s like black landlocked Miami. This is why its documented that big Meech funneled 100s of millions of dollars through BMF decades ago. You can look it up. Looking at household incomes here is only part of the story because of transient nature of Atlanta. DC is much more career and stable.

I don’t know how many times I have to point this out.
Not where Black people actually live in the DC area. Black people overwhelmingly live in Ward 7 and 8 in DC proper, Prince George’s County, and Charles County. Those areas have very similar prices for buying a house which has been discussed and proven many times on this forum.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:16 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I think household income is misleading…

This is more indicative of Atlanta black wealt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yboSsq...IEF0bGFudGE%3D

On paper DC looks like it has more money. But I think the millionaire entrepreneurs in Atlanta aren’t counted in a lot of those. Maybe they are finding ways to hide money or register business in even more tax friendly states or they make a lot one year and not the other .. who knows… I do know tracking household income for government workers of DC is gonna hold more consistent than entrepreneurs

I don’t know to many in real life who think of DC as having more black wealth than Atlanta… Miami is starting to become a haven for Caribbean transplants from the NE
If you look closely at the guy's phone, it shows "estimated revenue" of 900K between October 2016 and the present. That's not a "millionaire." A food truck can exceed that revenue many times over. And obviously, "revenue" and what ultimately goes into your personal bank account after all expenses are different things.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Not where Black people actually live in the DC area. Black people overwhelmingly live in Ward 7 and 8 in DC proper, Prince George’s County, and Charles County. Those areas have very similar prices for buying a house which has been discussed and proven many times on this forum.
My initial point with this was to show that’s why the salaries are higher, we all know PG is cheaper than other parts of the DMV. However, the salaries there reflect the elevated cost of the metro area. Your current residence is not a limitation on what part of the metro you can work in… unless you are an officer or something. You all are intentionally being dense on here for no reason.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The days of BMF been over with in Atlanta so I don't understand why you continue to bring it up. It was over in 2008 and Atlanta nightlife and flash culture is nowhere near the same as those days.

Also the scam culture you speak of is specific to a demographic that is not even reflective of the larger Black population in Atlanta metro. Like I always say most of Atlanta is similar to everywhere else in the country.

I also think that subculture of Atlanta you're referring to has also turned a lot of people off of Atlanta. As much as I like Atlanta, it's reputation has taken some hits in the past couple of years. And the scam and flashiness doesn't impress many people as you think it does.
Sigh. This is going to be my last time making this particular point.

1. BMF still has members here. As matter of fact the popular Salon Ramsey was ran by a BMF member, now he runs Synergy I believe. There dozens of characters like this in Atlanta. The whole BMF wasn’t arrested.

https://instagram.com/darealmontana?...RlODBiNWFlZA==

2. BMF platformed many people like Jeezy. And Alex Gidewon (AG entertainment) who happens to be one the biggest promoters in the nation. He’s based here. But throws the biggest parties in other cities (particularly Vegas and Miami) during huge events. That quarter billion dollars just doesn’t go away.

AG:

https://instagram.com/agentertainmen...RlODBiNWFlZA==

And Of course, the scam culture isn’t indicative of the majority of black Atlantans. However, the very visible scammers who spend all day driving around buckhead day parties and restaurants in 200k-400k whips leave an impression like no other. DC has no equivalent of this. It’s more a city for square black folks who are professionals who all largely make 70- 100k across the board. Atlanta attracts fast money brothas and sistas with BBL into sex work and branding. This is common knowledge to anyone with any connection to black social media.

And lastly, let’s grant your point that not true. Assume BMF was completely eradicated years ago. My point in bringing them is to show a stark difference in culture. Do you think there are no modern BMFs scamming in the digital and crypto world. It’s just what Atlanta attracts…. A lot more than the DMV. Mansions are cheaper and high rise condos with (unavailable in DC) coupled with being entertainment hub makes it very alluring to these types.

Atlanta functions like a land-locked Miami for this particular black sub-culture. Period. Familiarize yourself with current black culture if this sounds crazy to you. I don’t know what else to say.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

And Atlanta has less flash than in 08?

You aren’t serious or knowledgeable about what’s currently going on. That’s fine. But stop being so stubborn about it.

This is before lil baby was truly famous. Came to the club in a helicopter. Fast money is just part of the culture here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Jn5u...doaXAgYWRkaWN0

Look at all the comments from people all around world amazed by seeing black folks in these kinda cars. Atlanta is one of a kind on this front.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:36 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Greetings

Have been in Atlanta (permanently) for a little over a year . 40s something male … I very much like the pace and wealth in the area. I’m a huge fan of upscale venues and shopping and spaces that highlight more black people in these areas.

Do you think there are cities that are goin to past Atlanta in this regard in the next decade. On paper DC seems to have a higher income than Atlanta for blacks… but that’s not the impression I get visiting. Black people ride more expensive here…. Live in nicer and more modern homes … own more business so it seems. I don’t don’t understand the disconnect… Atlanta possibly has more money laundering going on … or maybe black lower class drags than the average more here.

Miami and Atlanta both actually seem to have more wealthy blacks in my estimation .. visually. Granted more of Island vibe there. Who will leapfrog the next decade?
The reason is character. DC isn’t quite as flashy as the southern cities you’ve referenced. It’s also far more educated. Not sure if related

Old 09-12-2023, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 18,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The reason is character. DC isn’t quite as flashy as the southern cities you’ve referenced. It’s also far more educated. Not sure if related
Scratches head… Atlanta has two top 3 HBCU’s. I don’t see the back population there being FAR more educated than here. Could be nicer cars don’t last in colder climates with all the salt on the road and all that hootenanny. Any way u slice it what I see here is impressive

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City