Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 09:00 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

I think it’s widely know that people in Atlanta wear their wealth on their back while people in DC have their wealth in the bank. Atlanta is flashy and socially you’re expected to look the part. That is how Atlanta got the reputation of people “faking it till they make it” which is common in many flashy cities. DC on the other hand is a place where Black people tend to actually have money and a high net worth but they don’t flash it because frankly, everyone around them does too. DC isn’t the type of place that you can brag about money and have people be envious of you because the people you’re talking too probably have money too.

When people have money, they don’t really need to talk about it or show it. That’s probably the biggest difference between the two cities.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I find most interesting are all the race related threads in this forum. One would think the entire country was still segregated by law if someone from the 1800s were to read many of these threads and related posts.
Race matters to people because some people are reminded of their race in their daily lives. That may not be true of your own life but it's true for many others...

Also, there aren't many places online to celebrate blackness so while there are some conversations I'd rather not have on CD, where there seems to be a fascination non-blacks have with us here (because non-black posters definitely create threads about, and engage in existing convos, about black people here); and black posters wanting to celebrate things about us here doesn't bother me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Oh please lol. This is stretching. NY sure. That’s literally what grew places like Atlanta in first place. But to say Boston and Los Angeles are black meccas is pretty silly lol. People from those places are amazed when they come here to Atlanta to see how we are getting the bag. There is clearly a material difference

And that’s not to say they are irrelevant, but have cultural contribution to something .. isn’t the same as being a Mecca for it.
Boston qualifies, there's an entire region it is the capital of...

Los Angeles is still the most influential city for us west of Texas, that isn't changing any time soon. It's a mecca...

Old 09-12-2023, 09:10 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Also, people in Boston and LA (and elsewhere) know how to get the bag lmao. Many of us go to Atlanta to run it up then take our profits back home, I could be very explicit and detailed on this. The real unique thing about Atlanta is how welcoming it is to transplants running it up. There's some of this in all large, international cities, but I've never seen this anywhere the way you see I'm Atlanta...

Just like, there's the "fake it til you make it" underlayer everywhere too, but no city has this as boastful or proudly as Atlanta...

Old 09-12-2023, 09:36 AM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Well, we know I’m obviously going to agree with OP lol. Just because someone hasn’t tallied a particular stat (how could you on this?) doesn’t mean it is subjective. We know Miami has more underground money than somewhere like Columbus Ohio without it being tallied up… right?

There’s a multitude of reasons for why the average person is justified in thinking this. Places like Miami and Atlanta just attract a certain type of person who is willing to do more to flash.

These kinda things are common in Atlanta:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...outputType=amp

^^30 million dollar fraud sting

There are literally songs made with hooks referencing the scammer culture in Atlanta

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ONTXHS2mM

Of course this isn’t anything to brag about. But it would explain level of flash you see in Atlanta compared to DC. Y’all are attributing this to 50k millionaire culture, but that can’t explain the high concentration of black folks in maybachs and Rolls flying through these streets. You can not flash on 50k with those.

To put it more empirically, Atlanta is the new hub for hip hop. Rappers have always bragged about ways to make money under the radar. Being teh cutting edge with fast money — crackin cards (scammin) just so happens to be new drug dealing. It makes sense that the wealth in black community wouldn’t necessarily be reflected on annual income. I don’t know too many people here who buy nice things with incomes off their square jobs.

Even before Atlanta was on the scene. BMF was headquartered here. Big Meech and all the associates had 100s of millions. It just what Atlanta attracts and is known for. Millions of dollars isn’t negligible
Yeah, even before Atlanta was on the scene, you had Tupac living in Stone Mountain. Puff Daddy/Notorious BIG doing cookouts and spending their summers in Atlanta. You could see all of them hanging out in Buckhead in the 90s.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:54 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Houston and Dallas, I can see Vegas being in that category in 20 years too.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yeah, even before Atlanta was on the scene, you had Tupac living in Stone Mountain. Puff Daddy/Notorious BIG doing cookouts and spending their summers in Atlanta. You could see all of them hanging out in Buckhead in the 90s.
The celebrity element isn’t exactly what I meant there, but your point is relevant too. My point is that a lot of people on here might downplay how much many can be amassed by the underground market because it’s not their lane or what they’ve been around or think is moral. But it defiantly accounts for why Atlanta’s money on the ground looks a little different than on paper. It’s not uncommon to go to parking lot and see several 200k dollar plus cars in all black establishment. Customized and non-rented. This isn’t not something you see in DC, people may drive nice cars. But Rolls, Aston Martin, etc are not just nice cars. They super rare but you wouldn’t know it here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIFO_h...Qgb255eA%3D%3D

Big Meech was no name before recent, but he was a local Atlanta hustler from Detroit that piled hundreds of millions dollars. Documented. And thousands of people in Atlanta associated with the movement. The big time club promoter AG (Alex Gidweon) is said to have got his start from a loan from BMF. Now Alex is probably the biggest promoter in the nation with clubs in Vegas and Miami I think. And based here.

On a side note, are you king Shenard from chaotic truth podcast?

Old 09-12-2023, 10:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Houston and Dallas, I can see Vegas being in that category in 20 years too.
I actually agree with this. If any place is the west coast hub for blacks, it’s def Vegas right now.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:05 AM

232 posts, read 189,605 times
I think Houston will be the next city with a concentration of black wealth and culture. Atlanta and DC are there presently but I'm always surprised to see Charlotte being mentioned with places 2, 3 and 4 times its size.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:08 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think it’s widely know that people in Atlanta wear their wealth on their back while people in DC have their wealth in the bank. Atlanta is flashy and socially you’re expected to look the part. That is how Atlanta got the reputation of people “faking it till they make it” which is common in many flashy cities. DC on the other hand is a place where Black people tend to actually have money and a high net worth but they don’t flash it because frankly, everyone around them does too. DC isn’t the type of place that you can brag about money and have people be envious of you because the people you’re talking too probably have money too.

When people have money, they don’t really need to talk about it or show it. That’s probably the biggest difference between the two cities.
This is 100% true. DC has a LOT more actual wealthy black people. They're throughout the metro. They have million dollar houses in the city or one of the inner burbs and usually modest cars.

Atlanta, on the other has a lot more flashy affluent, but not truly wealthy black people. They live in huge 400K McMansions in places like Lawrenceville and drive nice cars.

It's just a different culture, but when it comes to actual black buying power it's DC all day every day and it's not particularly close. Atlanta has more cultural power (rappers, Tyler Perry Studios, etc.) and that's what gets people hung up. It's more like Houston and Dallas in that regard, but none of those three quite stack up with DC in terms of *actual* wealth.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:22 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
I actually agree with this. If any place is the west coast hub for blacks, it’s def Vegas right now.
Yeah, Vegas seems like it's shaping up to be the West Coast's equivalent to Atlanta in the near future which is unfortunate but indicative of how gentrified the Bay Area has gotten in the past 20 years. Luckily, there's still LA and the IE for the black upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City