Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Also yea not sure why Charlotte is here or how its beating Dallas. Maybe replace Charlotte with LA. Or just get rid of it?

LA NYC and Chicago not even being on here is ....a choice. If were talking "next" metros and you exclude those three then all of these except maybe Dallas shouldn't be on here.

ATL MIA HOU DC re well established, there is nothing (at all) "NEXT" about them. This why I don't much like threads like these anymore. Its a predictable rehash of ~6 cities even if it claims not to be in the title-body of the thread and poll options are nothing new.

I suppose a more interesting thread for NEXT up metros for black luxury (which should be delineated from wealth) wouldve been more like

Charlotte (i guess)
Phoenix
Philly
Vegas
Tampa

Old 09-13-2023, 11:56 AM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I mean, if almost all Black people live in Compton or Riverside in the LA metro area, that would be very relevant when considering how much Black people pay to live in the LA metro area. It's no different than saying someone moving to the LA area can't afford to live there because homes in Beverly Hills cost millions. If they aren't moving to Beverly Hills, that is irrelevant. If someone says you can't afford to live in Atlanta because the homes in Buckhead cost however much, that too is irrelevant if you're not moving to Buckhead.

What is relevant is how much Black people make across each metro area and that data is accurate.

Lol @ compton being black. Compton is like 80% latino now. The only places with a black stronghold still in LA are the places with old black money like Ladera Heights, View Park, etc. The black population in LA is declining fast and are moving to the I.E. or out of state.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:41 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I do. I 100% knew kids 19-20 renting whips like these.. definitely wasn't off a saved salary. I seen these dudes up and down Newbury Street. I see them on East Tremont, I've seen them on Queens Boulevard. Idk to what level we're talking about, but it seems like a pretty flawed metric.

The Lil Baby party and other large-scale black celebrity or outings and things like InvestFest seem more unique to Atlanta than fancy cars- which are adored by a subsect of people the world over.

I think Atlanta has more pride in its flashy showy populace than many other places where they're not as lauded. They video ape and share and applaud them whereas in other places there ignored, or maybe even ridiculed a little. To an extent-GF is right.
This happens out in Cali too. I don't know how much it is to rent a lambo for a day, but I definitely know there's a market for it.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:50 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This happens out in Cali too. I don't know how much it is to rent a lambo for a day, but I definitely know there's a market for it.
Definitely a market for it. I'm pretty sure Any major metro (1.5M+ ppl) where you will have access to large social networks of other Black Americans, as well as consistent illicit cash and criminal networks, will result in a high level of flash amongst some people. Bonus points if it's a wealthy metro in a legitimate way as well.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Definitely a market for it. I'm pretty sure Any major metro (1.5M+ ppl) where you will have access to large social networks of other Black Americans, as well as consistent illicit cash and criminal networks, will result in a high level of flash amongst some people. Bonus points if it's a wealthy metro in a legitimate way as well.
Yeah, what I've seen around California is more young to middle aged Anglo Americans who want to cruise Newport looking like they belong. Now, of course the great majority probably are legit.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:11 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Also yea not sure why Charlotte is here or how its beating Dallas. Maybe replace Charlotte with LA. Or just get rid of it?

LA NYC and Chicago not even being on here is ....a choice. If were talking "next" metros and you exclude those three then all of these except maybe Dallas shouldn't be on here.

ATL MIA HOU DC re well established, there is nothing (at all) "NEXT" about them. This why I don't much like threads like these anymore. Its a predictable rehash of ~6 cities even if it claims not to be in the title-body of the thread and poll options are nothing new.

I suppose a more interesting thread for NEXT up metros for black luxury (which should be delineated from wealth) wouldve been more like

Charlotte (i guess)
Phoenix
Philly
Vegas
Tampa
I agree with this word for word. I didn’t know Tampa was gaining points in this regard but I guess it makes sense. The western side of the peninsula is the only portion of Florida I have yet to visit

Old 09-13-2023, 02:34 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
There are a lot of Anna Delveys and Billy McFarlands out there, though most aren't as good as those two were and can't perpetrate fraud on quite the same scale. In most cases, it's simply a guy making 80K projecting a 400K lifestyle through credit card debt and reckless spending.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:35 PM

712 posts, read 681,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomecrestBrooklyn View Post
For thread purposes and contribution, I chose DC. Old money or conservative money will always beat new money/flash to me and unfortunately Atlanta is overrated when it comes to wealth.
You have a point about DC's old money vs. ATL's new money, but new money eventually ages into old if you don't spend it all on depreciating assets like flashy cars. I think one of the commenters on this thread focused too much on the outliers in the subculture that makes fast money off the books or by unconventional means, but what I also see here is a growing upper middle class that not only flew here but grew here as more corporate jobs (especially in tech) come on the job market.

I see it in some of the Jack and Jill circles I'm around, and that set is working on sending their fourth and fifth generation of kids to Morehouse and Spelman and the Ivy League while leaving the corporate world and starting their own companies or consulting gigs. That demographic probably more closely resembles the conservative money that you associate with DC. The wealthy people that move here are coming from LA, DC, Chicago and NYC as those cities become more unaffordable and the Boomers retire back "down South" to be closer to family and communities they may have left behind in the 60s and 70s. Those cities have seen a decline in the Black population with too many headwinds to reverse course. NY Times columnist Charles Blow in his book, The Devil You Know, makes the case for why Northerners should move back South.

It's going to take a lot before Atlanta gives up the Mecca title. Every time it's on the national stage, whether it's in entertainment (Tyler Perry, hip-hop), politics (Stacey Abrams, Mayor Keisha, RIP John Lewis), tech (Tope Awotona, Tristan Walker), education (the president of GSU and the dean of engineering at GaTech), or business (H.J. Russell, the Barancos, The Atlanta Federal Reserve president), you're looking at a lot of Black folks running the show.

The entire Atlanta metro is undergoing a massive inversion as gentrification forces a lot of legacy Black residents out into the suburbs. One of the interesting things about the gentrification inside the city proper is that it's not just wealthy white folks but also wealthy Black folks. There are neighborhoods where all the flips and new builds going for the 700s and up are owner-occupied by Black families, and their next-door neighbor may be the proverbial Big Mama who can't afford the new property taxes if she doesn't apply for the homestead exemption. Those extremes define this city and is planting the seeds for the next round of contributions to the country's culture and economy in the years to come.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:44 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Or this guy. A no name really but local who is who.. a scammer turned legit. Over a million dollars worth of personal cars. DC has a higher baseline for households on paper. But at the extremes. Atlanta has more of these type of people (clearly)

https://youtube.com/shorts/G9hFKJZm4...Tu5k8Mpl06Xw_k

Or this celebrity realtor. I guess this is rented too? Unpacking his 300k-400k plus Lambo near his condo in buckhead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w7h7cA...BpbiBhdGxhbnRh

You don’t see this kinda thing anywhere else on this level. All brothers my age. Not the result of saving an 80k salary for 2 decades.

Let me guess

“This is shallow. I see black people doing this everywhere” huh
This looks like the same exact car. If he was really ballin', then why is getting a used car? You can also lease these.

https://belowinvoice.com/lamborghini...als-and-deals/

Old 09-13-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
You have a point about DC's old money vs. ATL's new money, but new money eventually ages into old if you don't spend it all on depreciating assets like flashy cars. I think one of the commenters on this thread focused too much on the outliers in the subculture that makes fast money off the books or by unconventional means, but what I also see here is a growing upper middle class that not only flew here but grew here as more corporate jobs (especially in tech) come on the job market.

I see it in some of the Jack and Jill circles I'm around, and that set is working on sending their fourth and fifth generation of kids to Morehouse and Spelman and the Ivy League while leaving the corporate world and starting their own companies or consulting gigs. That demographic probably more closely resembles the conservative money that you associate with DC. The wealthy people that move here are coming from LA, DC, Chicago and NYC as those cities become more unaffordable and the Boomers retire back "down South" to be closer to family and communities they may have left behind in the 60s and 70s. Those cities have seen a decline in the Black population with too many headwinds to reverse course. NY Times columnist Charles Blow in his book, The Devil You Know, makes the case for why Northerners should move back South.

It's going to take a lot before Atlanta gives up the Mecca title. Every time it's on the national stage, whether it's in entertainment (Tyler Perry, hip-hop), politics (Stacey Abrams, Mayor Keisha, RIP John Lewis), tech (Tope Awotona, Tristan Walker), education (the president of GSU and the dean of engineering at GaTech), or business (H.J. Russell, the Barancos, The Atlanta Federal Reserve president), you're looking at a lot of Black folks running the show.

The entire Atlanta metro is undergoing a massive inversion as gentrification forces a lot of legacy Black residents out into the suburbs. One of the interesting things about the gentrification inside the city proper is that it's not just wealthy white folks but also wealthy Black folks. There are neighborhoods where all the flips and new builds going for the 700s and up are owner-occupied by Black families, and their next-door neighbor may be the proverbial Big Mama who can't afford the new property taxes if she doesn't apply for the homestead exemption. Those extremes define this city and is planting the seeds for the next round of contributions to the country's culture and economy in the years to come.
A lot of athletes end up broke because they can't control their spending.

The second boldest, in a nutshell, couldn't afford the more expensive markets so they move to Atlanta? That's not wealth. It's smart but that doesnt' mean you're wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City