Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 07:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Do the poors exist because of the rich scammers? Again, not something I would tout. It's like seeing a mafioso with a limo driver. Most Italians would disassociate from that. Very few would praise honestly.
If you see explanation as praise the the issue is with your comprehension. I don’t know how many times I have to preface with “ I don’t have to like it, but it’s true”

See my last response to Maryland allstar. I never seen so many people argue so hard against cultures differing between cities. Atlanta attracts more people interested in making fast money. It’s just what it is. And it is common knowledge to most black folks who pay attention to culture and art. You can literally find memes on BBLs and scammers in reference to Atlanta. It’s just what it is.

I can’t even tell you what black folks from the DMV known for *currently*, Mumbo is going more public. See the commercial version in the stores now. Someone please don’t get on here and mention GoGo and Howard. I said current day.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:47 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Atlanta isn't the next black mecca; it already is currently.

I would say DC, but white people with money are moving in to the point where it's no longer "Chocolate City". Out of this list the only one I can think of is Houston. Blacks seem to do better there as far as job opportunities than anywhere on this list, and it seems to have a stigma with upper class whites.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:59 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I’m not bragging about it. Stop misrepresenting me.

I’m not going to deny reality. Anyone who spends time in black culture, especially in Atlanta, knows that lots of the flash is done by scammer, strippers and only fans types. I mean man just go to Lenox on Thursday afternoon while the real folks are at work, and tell me what you see. Do you even come down here? Are you do you talk to your more square career friends and think that’s all Atlanta is about.

When I bring my friends out of town to Lenox and they see metal detectors and cops with sniff dogs roaming around, and the amount non-professional brothers ( how I’m going to say it here) walking out Neiman Marcus or Pure at that time …They notice a difference. I thought it was normal lol.

That said, I’ve referenced several times the entertainment industry as well. The influencers I’ve posted are legit multimillionaire type. There is subculture full of this here too. Trey the realtor and Marcus Barney (him500) are legal, well Marcus is an ex scammer, but that’s not relevant now. Those are the people I bragged on, Sir. There is no way you are this dense to keep misrepresenting me.

My point is that those household income stats leave off a lot of money, you only want to talk about that because it makes DC look rich but Quiet ( which isn’t a statistical claim itself, but an observational one). If you really think the people riding around Atlanta in quarter million dollar cars are the same as the 50k millionaires just being overly flashy or something, then I have a great beachfront in Kentucky for sale. There are no regular salaried Atlantans living that lifestyle. They living in fariburn or powder springs with a 2016-2018 Lexus or Porsche with a check engine light on. Those are the flashy folks. The people the OP noticed are not that. Clearly.
The people you’re referring to are ghetto and uneducated. They will never be part of the Black elite. They represent Love & Hip Hop Atlanta which is a lower class than the professional educated Black elite in Atlanta. We’re talking about two different social classes with different social scenes and pedigree.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:14 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
I lived in Missouri for a long time
coming to Houston, the one thing that stood out to me is the number of black people you see driving new pickup trucks.
I don't remember ever seeing a black person in a new pickup truck in Missouri.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I lived in Missouri for a long time
coming to Houston, the one thing that stood out to me is the number of black people you see driving new pickup trucks.
I don't remember ever seeing a black person in a new pickup truck in Missouri.
I was just near Barrington Downs and Black Jack and noticed the same thing. St. Louis doesn't do pickup trucks or luxury. No flash at all.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The people you’re referring to are ghetto and uneducated. They will never be part of the Black elite. They represent Love & Hip Hop Atlanta which is a lower class than the professional educated Black elite in Atlanta. We’re talking about two different social classes with different social scenes and pedigree.
Marcus Barney and Trey the Realtor are ghetto? Mr 2weekout are ghetto with no class?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQfBJvY...RlODBiNWFlZA==

^^^ not ghetto venues. They are suited and booted as well. These aren’t people who chose the square route through school, but most definitely considered elite in Atlanta. Two of these brothers are family men who employ and dish game on entrepreneurship to the urban youth of Atlanta.

Maybe DC has an overall different vibe. That’s fine. No need to insult us down here. Or think we have to be like your friends in order to properly represent the black community. These are the kinda folks that made the Atlanta brand marketable to blacks (and other groups) all across the world.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:24 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
In aggregate, folks in DC are definitely more pretentious/flashy than the ATL. A lot of Black folks (w/loot) and entrepreneurs are moving to areas like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham due to the less flashy effect that are often on full display in both ATL and DC (sometimes I just wanna say "sit your broke ass down and shut up", especially in DC). My thoughts on Houston and Dallas get a NO vote, simply due to East Coast bias. Charlotte's too small (comparison to other cities on the list), doesn't have a large HBCU or "Black" identity as of yet to be that metro. Don't get it twisted, it definitely has a lot of Black folk and growing.

I don't think any other metro in America will ever compare to ATL and DC in this category. One was the original Chocolate City and the other really got notoriety due to a wave of post NYC hip-hop dominance (though ATL was known for being baby chocolate on the east coast).

It's a strange thing, really, Houston has a significantly sized HBCU (Texas Southern) and nearby Prairie View which means it can go toe-toe with likes of DC and ATL to be uppity Black, which I think is more prevalent in Dallas (not as much HBCU presence)...just my experiences.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:25 PM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Neither DC nor Atlanta are majority black anymore

Old 09-15-2023, 02:27 PM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Atlanta isn't the next black mecca; it already is currently.

I would say DC, but white people with money are moving in to the point where it's no longer "Chocolate City". Out of this list the only one I can think of is Houston. Blacks seem to do better there as far as job opportunities than anywhere on this list, and it seems to have a stigma with upper class whites.

Why does Houston have that stigma with upper class whites?

Old 09-15-2023, 04:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Neither DC nor Atlanta are majority black anymore
That's irrelevant at this point since much of their Black prosperity has been suburbanized over the past few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City