Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,688,454 times

Advertisements

Houston is pretty under rated,but I Liked it there when I Visited it just reminds me of home a version of LA without the Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Most people? Nah...I doubt it.
You dont think so. It feels like. When I ask most of my peers they think it's Atlanta, I guess it's a piedmont thing.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Houston is pretty under rated,but I Liked it there when I Visited it just reminds me of home a version of LA without the Mountains.
Though MOST will disagree I kinda agree with you. I kinda see it.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,688,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Same Here I Agree.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM

87 posts, read 186,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I don't know if I agree with your rankings, but that's your opinion.

The problem is that Houston doesn't have much of a media image, and when it does get mentioned, it's usually something neutral or completely negative. In any case, I think the poor image stems from limited experience with Houston. I don't know if you can really blame some of the people, because it's not really a tourist destination, but it's putting itself in more of a position to come one with a better public transportation system. It is definitely one of those cities where you can visit for a week and still not know very well...some of us have lived here our whole lives and find new things every day!
AMEN! haha this is you're exact reason right here. Saved me some time, but anyhow, I second this.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,902 times
Houston doesn't get much hype because it's not a big tourist destination. The hyped cities are usually the big tourist destinations. Hyped doesn't translate to better only hyped. Most of the hyped cities aren't even as good as Houston. Not only would I say they're not better but they're not even as good as Houston. I've been to LA and Boston. These are two of the hyped cities. I think Houston is better than both of these cities. This is a perfect example of how the hyped cities aren't even as good as the non-hyped cities (Houston). Houston's downtown is a lot better than LA's downtown. LA has graffiti everywhere which I don't like. Houston doesn't. When I was in LA I hardly saw a sign in the whole city that didn't have graffiti spray painted on it. What is it with LA and graffiti? It must be the gang problems that I always hear about. Boston is small and boring. Houston is a lot bigger than Boston. Houston is a lot more diverse than Boston which means a lot more culture. In Boston you get an old house for 3 times what you would pay in Houston. Anybody that picks Boston over Houston is out of their mind.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
In my eyes, Houston will NEVER be underrated.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Houston doesn't get much hype because it's not a big tourist destination. The hyped cities are usually the big tourist destinations. Hyped doesn't translate to better only hyped. Most of the hyped cities aren't even as good as Houston. Not only would I say they're not better but they're not even as good as Houston. I've been to LA and Boston. These are two of the hyped cities. I think Houston is better than both of these cities. This is a perfect example of how the hyped cities aren't even as good as the non-hyped cities (Houston). Houston's downtown is a lot better than LA's downtown. LA has graffiti everywhere which I don't like. Houston doesn't. When I was in LA I hardly saw a sign in the whole city that didn't have graffiti spray painted on it. What is it with LA and graffiti? It must be the gang problems that I always hear about. Boston is small and boring. Houston is a lot bigger than Boston. Houston is a lot more diverse than Boston which means a lot more culture. In Boston you get an old house for 3 times what you would pay in Houston. Anybody that picks Boston over Houston is out of their mind.

To me Boston is better than Houston just feels more like a real city. Houston lacks too much for a big city

Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM

970 posts, read 2,952,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You dont think so. It feels like. When I ask most of my peers they think it's Atlanta, I guess it's a piedmont thing.
Or maybe because many equate Texas with the "west" and hence, don't consider Houston part of the South.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
To me Boston is better than Houston just feels more like a real city. Houston lacks too much for a big city
Houston lacks too much for a big city?
  • over 2 million people and 5 mil in the metro area....
  • multiple, tall skylines....
  • complex highway system with tollroads and the "stop every couple of feet" traffic to go along with it...
  • Major pro sports teams....
  • more than enough job/career options....
  • Three major universities....
  • NASA!

...what more do you need to have to be known as a big city?

Maybe because Houston is sprawled out so much you don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City