Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Smog in NY, there is barely any smog whatsoever.
LOL! Then you must be vision impaired.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Perhaps in your coastal-centric mind. You very obviously don't speak for everybody.
Nobody speaks for "everybody". I for that matter do not like Chicago arhcitecture, besides the facade of skyscrpers on the lake (grande facade) there are neighborhoods after neighborhood of siding clad houses and cookie cutter condons. The whole city lacks squares and for some reason does not care for monuments. You just do not feel the history in Chicago the way you do in New York. Willis Tower maybe the tallest but Empire is a marvel especially when you think what was that building built. even pictures depicting workers working on ESB are a piece of art ( do not tell me you never seen the famous one showing working sitting on a metal beam). ESB, Chrysler, City Hall, Dakota those are buidling that inspire as opposed to dull postmodernist boxes both in Chicago and New York (there are some too)

Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,684,051 times
Quote:
If you can see them through the smog.
HAHA!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM

I actually have a picture of the "ironworkers on the beam" shot of the ESB in my living room.

I also have a beautiful picture of the Brooklyn Bridge taken by a friend the weekend prior to 9/11, showing the north tower of the WTC matted and framed.

I absolutely adore New York - I just hate NY-centric provincial trolls that refuse to accept the fact that it is not the end all, be all Center of the Universe, and feel the need to put down and bash anyplace you deem not equivalent.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,899 times
Quote:
LOL! Then you must be vision impaired.
Can u tell the difference between fog and smog. just by your comment makes you seem foolish. You make it seem like its foggy all the time even though it some cases it looks beautiful. Look at it this way if we get smog and LA which has a way worse problem with smog than NYC then why would NYC look like this instead of LA. Also that is fog not smog in the pictures.

Last edited by BigCityGuy; 03-17-2009 at 01:13 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Can u tell the difference between fog and smog. just by your comment makes you seem foolish. You make it seem like its foggy all the time even though it some cases it looks beautiful.
Yes, I absolutely know the difference - and you're right. It can be very beautiful.

I hate to admit it, but the smoggy summer sunsets can be pretty spectacular. The same thing applies to Atlanta, Chicago and L.A.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,260 times
Quote:
You also failed to see that you never stated anything about the bad architecture in Chicago You seem like you are not a person who is into architecture. There is higher ratio of good buildings to bad buildings in NY than in chicago.
I'll disagree with you there as I think Chicago has higher ratio good-bad buildings. New York has a good sheer volume of buildings, and the magnitude is impressive, however there are a lot of uninspiring buildings,especially between midtown and lower manhattan

Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 AM

784 posts, read 2,266,251 times
Quote:
I doubt it, Slick. Ive been going to Chicago on business since before you were ever in the Navy, and partially grew up in the Midwest. I was in the Navy too, and Waukeegan (sp?) is hardly the city. I'm guessing you took a couple of quick day trips in on Metra. I can see where you probably didn't ever really get the whole "feel" for the city.

I agree re: Chicago dogs. They rule.
Actually I took alot of train trips into the city. About a forty five minute trip. Took over thirty of them in my life. Have explored chicago through and through. I also went there at sixteen to stay with my friend for two weeks who moved there. I could go on but I didn't think that I had to give my complete resume. Anyway. I have been to Chicago enough to know exactly what it is like. Im sorry if this doesn't sit well with you but downtown Chicago is not in the same league as NY. But its funny watching you Chicago lovers try to believe that it is. Please do yourself a favor and judge Chicago to LA, they are closer in size. Even Toronto has twice as many highrises for half of the amount of people. What is with that? What is Chicago's problem for letting a city half the size have twice as many highrises?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,767,217 times
New York will always have the best skyline.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Actually I took alot of train trips into the city. About a forty five minute trip. Took over thirty of them in my life. Have explored chicago through and through. I also went there at sixteen to stay with my friend for two weeks who moved there. I could go on but I didn't think that I had to give my complete resume. Anyway. I have been to Chicago enough to know exactly what it is like. Im sorry if this doesn't sit well with you but downtown Chicago is not in the same league as NY. But its funny watching you Chicago lovers try to believe that it is. Please do yourself a favor and judge Chicago to LA, they are closer in size. Even Toronto has twice as many highrises for half of the amount of people. What is with that? What is Chicago's problem for letting a city half the size have twice as many highrises?
Your right. Chicago's downtown is much smaller. It's not nearly as dense. Quantity wise, it just can't compete with NYC...

Thats not a bad thing. Bigger is not always better.

In Chicago you learn to appreciate the beautiful buildings and the architecture. During business hours the downtown is just as vibrant as NYC's...its just much less crowded. The streets are clean, people are happy, and when you cross from one side of downtown into another you get to stop and catch some breathtaking views as you cross the river.

If you walk to the edge of downtown you'll be suprised to see a massive lake. Hundreds of people will be running, blading, or biking along the beach front. If you go on the summer or early fall the beach will be filled with Chicagoans. Farther away on the waterfront you'll see hundreds of boats along the coast. Some of their owners took the day off and just decided to spend a day on the boats.

That's what I love about Chicago. The pace is fast by the rest of the country's standards, but you can actually stop every now and then to catch your breath. It's not overly obsessed with fashion, status, or any of the other pitfalls of big city living.

Its a great city, with the best skyline in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.