Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 AM

259 posts, read 543,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I was waiting for the world's largest corn nob or potato but it did not heppen. I appreciate it. Other this, whole bunch of trivia you can put together for any large city in the world. Some of the fact really funny given the context, like Cubs compared to Yankees or Chicago and some being dubious like Chicago being the largest manufacturing center or suspicious fame of Chicago politics. You can put together responses based on New York data and Chicago would fade in comparison. I hope the author of this post knows it.
?? LOL you can't be serious....there is a difference between opinion and fact...you have ALL opinions and no facts lol

Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about...

O'Hare, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the adult world, we do not use Wikipedia as a citation. Certainly not when we're trying to drive home a point prefaced by the words "You clearly have no idea..."

Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
In the adult world, we do not use Wikipedia as a citation. Certainly not when we're trying to drive home a point prefaced by the words "You clearly have no idea..."
And why not? Can you find another source that would contradict Wiki's info?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Can we get off the O'Hare thing and on to something else, like how much NYC sucks

Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Talking The Windy City doth sucketh thy very aire right out of thee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Can we get off the O'Hare thing and on to something else, like how much NYC sucks
Hmmm, I can see why you want to talk about suckage, its one of the few things that Chicago has more of than New York!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hmmm, I can see why you want to talk about suckage, its one of the few things that Chicago has more of than New York!
Yes, especially compared to Chicago
As a matter of fact, Illinois used to be called The Sucker State. It is not clear what is the origin of this name however I have my own theory on this subject. I think Illinois license plate with the proud: "Illinois - The Sucker State" inscription and pictures of the last two governers would turn heads and properly reflect the sorry state of politics here.... ROTFL

PS. I am not making this up, see for yourselves:

Nature Bulletin No. 233-A June 4, 1966
Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Seymour Simon, President
Roland F. Eisenbeis, Supt. of Conservation

****:ILLINOIS - THE SUCKER STATE

"[...]People from Illinois are still called "Suckers" in some localities of
neighboring states. [...]"

Full text: Illinois - The Sucker State

Last edited by dementor; 03-15-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Default Omg !!!!!

Quote:
Yes, especially compared to Chicago
As a matter of fact, Illinois used to be called The Sucker State. It is not clear what is the origin of this name however I have my own theory on this subject. I think Illinois license plate with the proud: "Illinois - The Sucker State" inscription and pcitures of the last two governers would turn heads and properly reflect the sorry state of politics here.... ROTFL

PS. I am not making this up, see for yourselves:
Nature Bulletin No. 233-A June 4, 1966
Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Seymour Simon, President
Roland F. Eisenbeis, Supt. of Conservation

****:ILLINOIS - THE SUCKER STATE

"[...]People from Illinois are still called "Suckers" in some localities of
neighboring states. [...]"

Illinois - The Sucker State

OMG, I was actually joking and you came up with this! Have you been reading about Chicago/Illinois 24/7 ?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
And why not? Can you find another source that would contradict Wiki's info?
It's not a matter of contradiction, it's a matter of understanding that although there are many sources of information, they vary with respect to authority.

Government reports (check the fed's websites). Those have a lot of academic authority. Studies published by respected academics-- those carry significant authority. News reports by established newspapers. Documentaries from independent organizations with quality credentials.

These are the things you should begin looking at. Wikipedia is accessible but good information takes digging.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's not a matter of contradiction, it's a matter of understanding that although there are many sources of information, they vary with respect to authority.

Government reports (check the fed's websites). Those have a lot of academic authority. Studies published by respected academics-- those carry significant authority. News reports by established newspapers. Documentaries from independent organizations with quality credentials.

These are the things you should begin looking at. Wikipedia is accessible but good information takes digging.

I do understand your respect for authority and academia however even government reports and scientific research are not absolutely free from subjectivity or had never been corrected, updated or recalled.

Wikipedia, even with all the bad rap it gets is still one of the most updated source of info on the planet. I am in IT so for me it's a familair concept of "open source" project based on a truly XXI century concept of global collaboration.

In case of O'Hare location Wiki was right on the money, no digging required.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I do understand your respect for authority and academia however even government reports and scientific research are not absolutely free from subjectivity or had never been corrected, updated or recalled.

Wikipedia, even with all the bad rap it gets is still one of the most updated source of info on the planet. I am in IT so for me it's a familair concept of "open source" project based on a truly XXI century concept of global collaboration.

In case of O'Hare location Wiki was right on the money, no digging required.
What Wiki fails to tell you is that land was annexed to provide a city access to the land upon which O'Hare was built, but it isn't much more than that. Municipal powers are not levied on the land occupied by OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City