Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
What Wiki fails to tell you is that land was annexed to provide a city access to the land upon which O'Hare was built, but it isn't much more than that. Municipal powers are not levied on the land occupied by OH.
Coldwine,

Every Chicago neighborhood besides the original settlement has been annexed at some point. Cities do grow. As far as location and municipal powers are concerned Chicago owns O'Hare: CPD patrols O'Hare and Chicago gets the revenue stream. Da Mayor is even thinking about leasing the airport out as part of his not-so smart "let's mortgage our future I won't be here that long" plan. O'Hare belongs to Chicago not Elk Grove and not to the state.

Last edited by dementor; 03-15-2009 at 11:59 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Coldwine,

Every Chicago neighborhood besides the original settlement has been annexed at some point. Cities do grow. As far as location and municipal powers are concerned Chicago owns O'Hare: CPD patrols O'Hare and Chicago gets the revenue stream. Da Mayor is even thinking about leasing the airport out as part of his not-so smart "let's mortgage our future I won't be here that long" plan. O'Hare belongs to Chicago not Elk Grove and not to the state.
Okay, but NYC is TERRIBLE!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Whatever! Here are some more pics.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4927/fromtribecapenthouse211jg4.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 04:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Yeah, that sure is terrible looking lol.

I think some Chicagoans have inferiority complexes.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post

It must be as it offers qualities you are not familiar with: culture, enlightment, vibrant artistic life and over all joy of life.... I agree you must feel terrible there.
Don't feel bad though, New York is over a hundred years older than Chicago and this in US standards it's a full milenium. Don't worry, you'll get there in... a hundred years

Old 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, that sure is terrible looking lol.

I think some Chicagoans have inferiority complexes.

It's a natural reaction to the rabid superiority complex that New Yorkers exhibit.

Ying and yang, Rachael.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's a natural reaction to the rabid superiority complex that New Yorkers exhibit.

Ying and yang, Rachael.
You see I think you and most people have a problem understanding the difference between superiority and superiority complex.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You see I think you and most people have a problem understanding the difference between superiority and superiority complex.
I don't think so.

This delusional line of thought would imply that New York is superior to every other city on the planet.

The fact that many New Yorkers (including you and Rachael) actually feel this way not only offends millions of people, it actually lessens a huge number of peoples opinion of the place to the point where you begin to look like ignorant, provincial rubes.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM

784 posts, read 2,266,134 times
Since this is a contest between having the most mega skyline. I say we hold off til chicago has about five times as many highrises. Just to make it fair. Or we'll create a new mega skyline poll. We'll put chicago against Toronto. Oh, nope. That wouldn't be fair either seeing how Toronto has about twice as many highrises themselves. How about LA. Chicago has twice as many as LA. But LA is moving and shaking as of lately. If they build like NY used to they'll catch Chi town before you know it.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I don't think so.

This delusional line of thought would imply that New York is superior to every other city on the planet.

The fact that many New Yorkers (including you and Rachael) actually feel this way not only offends millions of people, it actually lessens a huge number of peoples opinion of the place to the point where you begin to look like ignorant, provincial rubes.
johnatl,

Sorry we hurt your feelings. By the way, I have nothing against ATL, as a matter of fact I like to drive in Atlanta, it's a real race track experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City