Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major Non-Southern city has the Most Southern influence?
Washington, DC 5 19.23%
St. Louis, MO 8 30.77%
Baltimore, MD 1 3.85%
Cincinati, OH 6 23.08%
Kansas City, MO/KS 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
100 miles seperate Richmond and DC, and somehow the cultural line for North and South has maintained around Fredericksburg.

However, DC was once considered part of the South too. But its like, the Northern edge of the South, so by today's standards, many consider it Northern, or Mid-Atlantic.
Yes, I also wonder how large populations of African Americans affect how 'southern' a place is. I believe northern Virginia and D.C. of course has a high black population...on one hand black culture brings a lot of the south with it, and on the other it tends to make an area more 'urban' feeling, like Atlanta or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
DC and B-more are both southern cities because they are below the mason-dixon line.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
DC and B-more are both southern cities because they are below the mason-dixon line.
yes, they are technically the South, but they are not cities people typically think of when they think 'Southern".

Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
St. Louis just seems more Southern. Here in Memphis, we think of it as the most similar city to us. Maybe they dont feel the same. I've been there before, not much Southern accent, but overall it didn't feel much different from Memphis. Keep in mind that Memphis is not extremely Southern compared to the rest of TN.

KC also has Southern influence. Their accents sound somewhat Southern.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
St. Louis just seems more Southern. Here in Memphis, we think of it as the most similar city to us. Maybe they dont feel the same. I've been there before, not much Southern accent, but overall it didn't feel much different from Memphis. Keep in mind that Memphis is not extremely Southern compared to the rest of TN.

KC also has Southern influence. Their accents sound somewhat Southern.
Smtchall I have heard Louisville compared to Memphis too.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,815 times
St. Louis and Cincinnati areas are both a mixed bag. You get everything from the northern big city feel (and dialects for that matter) to the pretty much traditional southern culture and dialects within a very short distance of one another. In this regard, I think that they they are very much border cities with both a strong northern and southern influence.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I tend to compare Memphis to cities like Louisville, New Orleans, and Birmingham. Memphis comes across to me as very Southern, only in a more urban way. Of course it's going to be less so than Humboldt, but I'd probably say that Memphis and Nashville are equally Southern.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
yes, they are technically the South, but they are not cities people typically think of when they think 'Southern".
actually i consider them the south

Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
actually i consider them the south
Good luck! I cant even convince people that Richmond, Virginia is South, lol.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:50 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I voted for St. Louis, because it seems most southern overall culturally. Doesn't seem very Midwestern to me. The accent there is probably the least southern thing about it.
Are you kidding me? St. Louis has almost every characteristic of the Midwest. The culture is Midwestern, the architecture is Midwestern, the politics are Midwestern, and the landscape is Midwestern. It was an industrial manufacturing city that gained in population during the Great Migration. St. Louis has a lot more in common with Chicago than it does with Memphis. It resembles Chicago more in architecture, attitude, overall culture, etc. The only thing it shares in common with Memphis is being on the Mississippi River. If any city has the most southern influence on this list, i would have to say Cincinnati simply because of how politically conservative it is for a Midwestern city. Regardless, pretty much every city on this list belongs either in the Northeast (Baltimore or D.C.) or Midwest (KC, STL, Cincy). KC, STL, and Cincy have far more in common with Indianapolis and Chicago than with Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis. Baltimore and D.C. resemble Philadelphia in terms of modern day culture, political attitudes, architecture, and cuisine. I have family in Cleveland and D.C. and also Spartanburg, South Carolina, and also had family at one point in Louisiana and Memphis. D.C. is unquestionably Northeastern today, and St. Louis feels far more like Cleveland than Memphis. Anyone who would equate St. Louis to being more Southern than Midwestern either has never been here or doesn't understand what the Midwest and South are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City