Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major Non-Southern city has the Most Southern influence?
Washington, DC 5 19.23%
St. Louis, MO 8 30.77%
Baltimore, MD 1 3.85%
Cincinati, OH 6 23.08%
Kansas City, MO/KS 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
manners, aristocracy, and charm are not necessarily Southern things. Those are high society things that can be found everywhere. You cant tell me that most Southerners live that kind of lifestyle. There are lots of low class Southerners who fit the numerous stereotypes. Not everyone in the South is living in your imaginairy world.
You've got that right. Sometimes it seems that there are MORE rude people in The South. I've lived in Tennessee for going on four years, and you can have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Then I guess I was right. Richmond fits the bill of being a Northern city with Southern influences.
No Richmond is a truly Southern city that has to put with Yankee Tourists, who stay at a cheap motel and then say that must be what ALL of Richmond is like.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Then I guess I was right. Richmond fits the bill of being a Northern city with Southern influences.
It sure is. When I'm heading out of North Carolina and back into the North, once I hit the first Northern city of Richmond, I know that I am just 5.5 hours from NYC. So close you can see the increase of New Jersey and New York plates as soon as you cross the James River into Richmond and the rest of the North.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
It sure is. When I'm heading out of North Carolina and back into the North, once I hit the first Northern city of Richmond, I know that I am just 5.5 hours from NYC. So close you can see the increase of New Jersey and New York plates as soon as you cross the James River into Richmond and the rest of the North.
Ummm...Richmond is not a Northern city. It has Southern speech patterns, Southern culture, a Southern mindset and pace and lifestyle, and above all, very Southern history. Between Richmond and Northern Virginia is the transition from south to north.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Ummm...Richmond is not a Northern city. It has Southern speech patterns, Southern culture, a Southern mindset and pace and lifestyle, and above all, very Southern history. Between Richmond and Northern Virginia is the transition from south to north.
People are going out of their way to rile up Richmonder since he insists on going on and on and on and on....

Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
St. Louis and Cincinnati areas are both a mixed bag. You get everything from the northern big city feel (and dialects for that matter) to the pretty much traditional southern culture and dialects within a very short distance of one another. In this regard, I think that they they are very much border cities with both a strong northern and southern influence.
At one time I would consider St. Louis a border, possibly even southern city at the start of the civil war. Same with Baltimore. However, in modern times St. Louis, Baltimore are not southern cities and not even quite enough to be in that transition zone BUT there are some traces of it left though. I would say St. Louis has about 10 percent southern influence left in it. Not quite enough to include it in that transition zone mix of Midwest and south that begins just south of the city gradually. To hit the south you have to go about 70 miles due south of St. Louis, or about 90 miles southeast on highway 55 to hit Cape Girardeau which is the unofficial line in far eastern MO.

Stl is close to the south, pretty close and just north of the transition zone but it ISNT a southern city in modern times. Same with Baltimore.

I work with a couple people from Maryland and some of the snowbirds from MD come down here and NONE of them have a southern accent. Even the people from Virginia don't who visit here for the winter.

I wouldn't call it a short distance, but the south isn't too far from St. Louis, Just over an hour away. The transition zone that starts just south of St. Louis is gradual. It's like southern IL and southern IN, the northern ends a lot more Midwestern obviously than the southern part of the transition zone.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
the mason-dixon line cuts thru washington, dc but the census bureau claims these are the regions:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

there is a plaque in philadelphia which states that south st. is the original border between the northern and southern colonies (so south philly is actually in the south ?).

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the mason-dixon line cuts thru washington, dc but the census bureau claims these are the regions:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

there is a plaque in philadelphia which states that south st. is the original border between the northern and southern colonies (so south philly is actually in the south ?).
The census map doesn't mean jack. DE and MD are NOT southern states! The northern part of WV isn't southern as well.

I would like to see maps done more on a local level. The southern quarter of Missouri for example is located in the south. The far western parts of the OK Pan Handle should be in the West.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Most any city in the Midwest that has a large black population you will find lots of Southern inluence.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City