Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major Non-Southern city has the Most Southern influence?
Washington, DC 5 19.23%
St. Louis, MO 8 30.77%
Baltimore, MD 1 3.85%
Cincinati, OH 6 23.08%
Kansas City, MO/KS 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
I am happy to hear that you are such an authority on culture, geography, climatology, and geology and have definitive answers for everything. As for my education, I hold a terminal degree in my field. But I am sure that you hold PhDs in all of the above named fields of which you hold so much expertise in. Thanks to you, we now have an undisputable, definitive statement of where the North ends and the South begins. Another undisputable and definitive statement is that you are not a nice person and you should perhaps earn an additional degree in communications. That way, you might be able to figure out a way to interact on this forum without coming across as such a jerk. I am finished (as opposed to done) here too!
I don't need a terminal degree to prove this stuff...I just do a lot of internet research as a hobby, and I know a lot of people who are professionally educated about the sorts of things I am researching. And in the process of obtaining a terminal degree in my field. I have also been to all of the Midwest and the South extensively, I doubt you have covered as many states as I have in the past 3 years (over 30). The evidence I've given are not just my findings. I don't get satisfaction out of making things up just to rile others up. The soil types, the climates, the dialects, the culture...everything contradicts what you are saying. Some of the stuff you say, like St. Louis having traditional Southern culture, is just flat-out wrong by something called common sense, something of which you don't have. Any source will tell you what I've told you. I've been researching stuff like this for over 2 years. If being a jerk means saying you are incorrect because research and my experience proves you to be, I guess I have nothing to apologize for. And you're not all that nice yourself either, so don't act like you're a total angel. And you know nothing about what kind of person I am. I am nice to only people I have respect for, and I have none for you (especially now). Maybe you should be the next Shawn Spencer, since you think you know everything about me. I hope you are finished too because you are a fountain of bad information at best, a fountain of bad information, personal attacks, and arrogance at worst. You have no idea who you're dealing with. I'm a lot smarter, nicer, and better researcher than you think..I've even proven it with our little climactical debate. I know you'll disagree, but some things are beyond dispute, and that plus what I said I'm really like is BEYOND dispute. For someone in Central Illinois, you sure don't know much about your surrounding regions. I probably know even more about it than you. If I have to demonstrate, I will.

Last edited by ajf131; 03-03-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,231 times
I don't know which Northern City has the most Southern influence, but Baltimore has the most peculiar accent I've ever heard.
It truly is a mix of the North & the South.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't need a terminal degree to prove this stuff...I just do a lot of internet research as a hobby, and I know a lot of people who are professionally educated about the sorts of things I am researching. And in the process of obtaining a terminal degree in my field. I have also been to all of the Midwest and the South extensively, I doubt you have covered as many states as I have in the past 3 years (over 30). The evidence I've given are not just my findings. I don't get satisfaction out of making things up just to rile others up. The soil types, the climates, the dialects, the culture...everything contradicts what you are saying. Some of the stuff you say, like St. Louis having traditional Southern culture, is just flat-out wrong by something called common sense, something of which you don't have. Any source will tell you what I've told you. I've been researching stuff like this for over 2 years. If being a jerk means saying you are incorrect because research and my experience proves you to be, I guess I have nothing to apologize for. And you're not all that nice yourself either, so don't act like you're a total angel. And you know nothing about what kind of person I am. I am nice to only people I have respect for, and I have none for you (especially now). Maybe you should be the next Shawn Spencer, since you think you know everything about me. I hope you are finished too because you are a fountain of bad information at best, a fountain of bad information, personal attacks, and arrogance at worst. You have no idea who you're dealing with. I'm a lot smarter, nicer, and better researcher than you think..I've even proven it with our little climactical debate. I know you'll disagree, but some things are beyond dispute, and that plus what I said I'm really like is BEYOND dispute. For someone in Central Illinois, you sure don't know much about your surrounding regions. I probably know even more about it than you. If I have to demonstrate, I will.
I don't disagree with alot of your comments and information that you have provided. I don't claim to be correct about everything. I have simply stated my opinion based on casual observation. What I do object to is when you start out a post by attacking people and declaring things like someone has "no education" or "no common-sense". That type of interactive style is arrogant and offensive and does not lend itself well to healthy discourse on this or any other forum. You can be passionate about your views and still be respectful. The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas and information, not to attack people personally by making summary judgments about their intelligence or reasoning ability. This forum should not be used as a way to try and bully people that you disagree with. We live in a free society (at least for now) and should be able to express our views without being attacked. That type of behavior is disrespectful and has no place in the context of healthy discourse among people.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 03-04-2009 at 06:00 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
I don't disagree with alot of your comments and information that you have provided. I don't claim to be correct about everything. I have simply stated my opinion based on casual observation. What I do object to is when you start out a post by attacking people and declaring things like someone has "no education" or "no common-sense". That type of interactive style is arrogant and offensive and does not lend itself well to healthy discourse on this or any other forum. You can be passionate about your views and still be respectful. The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas and information, not to attack people personally by making summary judgments about their intelligence or reasoning ability. This forum should not be used as a way to try and bully people that you disagree with. We live in a free society (at least for now) and should be able to express our views without being attacked. That type of behavior is disrespectful and has no place in the context of healthy discourse among people.
Fine, in that case, I will try to more "respectfully" disagree. Apologize for any offense towards you, I was wrong to do it.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Fine, in that case, I will try to more "respectfully" disagree. Apologize for any offense towards you, I was wrong to do it.
Apology accepted. I apologize too for saying anything that may have offended you. By the way, you did make some very good points regarding why outlying areas of St. Louis should be considered more midwestern than southern. You have done alot of homework on this subject and what you had to say made alot of sense.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,372 times
What makes a city "Southern", besides location?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
What makes a city "Southern", besides location?
Ah, many things

slower pace of life, manners, level of aristocracy, charm, availability of sweet tea/bbq, friendliness, attractive women, etc.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Ah, many things

slower pace of life, manners, level of aristocracy, charm, availability of sweet tea/bbq, friendliness, attractive women, etc.

You forgot to put the "fake" in front of friendliness. Also, put the "un" in front of attractive

Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
^^^There are a lot of dimes down here (born and raised).

Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 PM

17 posts, read 51,608 times
I wouldn't consider Kansas City at all southern. Way more so northern comparing to Minneapolis or Chicago.

that said, I would say Cinci or Stl have a good amount of southern influence. I would never think either as southern cities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City