Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM

259 posts, read 543,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Of course you do, If only counted how many times you bashed Houston or dissed "all other decaying Midwestern cities" as Chicago Sun-Times nicely put.
nonsense, one editorial in a paper doesn't define a city's attitude lol....who cares about anyother city except for people on this forum lol...I hope people in New York aren't believing that Chicagoans are thinking about them

Also what is this small town, rural mentality that you people are trying to put off on Chicago?

Can ANYONE give me a few examples of it. Because Im drawing blanks right now. While in school I'm in a rural town with smalltown mentalities and there is nothing of this that reminds me of Chicago....These accusations leads me to believe that many people that are claiming have never been to Chicago....Give me a few examples of this

Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM

100 posts, read 220,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
NYC has elevated trains. You've been there right?
not in the central business district, which is where the original post referred to

in fact, no where in manhattan except above 125th, perhaps

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post

New Yorkers say that Chicagoans have an inferiority complex but it seems to me that many New Yorkers feel threatened or something by Chicagoans lol

That's really what this boils down to. Chicagoans like New York. We are just glad we don't live there. If New Yorkers could say the same thing about their city, though, then we wouldn't have these stimulating conversations, and our lives would be that much less exciting.

I mean, if Chicago really, truly isn't a threat, then why do they spend so much time trying to prove that?

Personally, I really like NYC. In fact, I wasn't saying anything to bash the city. I enjoy it. However, the truth still stands that each city has its unique qualities. Chicago has architecture and engineering, kinder people as a rule, and taller buildings; New York has media, public recognition, global government, and tourism.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
nonsense, one editorial in a paper doesn't define a city's attitude lol....

It does not but it is indicative. Neither of New York papers, or any paper in the civilized world would print an article with such an offensive choice of words.

Quote:
who cares about anyother city except for people on this forum lol...I hope people in New York aren't believing that Chicagoans are thinking about them

Nobody really cares yet there is something called good taste. Chicago is not famous for it, just like any other rural area.

Quote:
Also what is this small town, rural mentality that you people are trying to put off on Chicago?
Look at the map. New York and Boston are located in densely populated historical and industrialized Wash-Bosh corridor while Chicago is located in a mainly agricultural region. New York and Boston draw hiuman potential from that while Chicago draws from rural Midwest. The influx of small-town folks into Chicago ensures that it will never raise above the average small town mentality.

Quote:
Can ANYONE give me a few examples of it. Because Im drawing blanks right now. While in school I'm in a rural town with smalltown mentalities and there is nothing of this that reminds me of Chicago....These accusations leads me to believe that many people that are claiming have never been to Chicago....Give me a few examples of this
I am afraid that having rural Chicagoland mentality you would not get it, the same way you do not get why the article in Sun-Times is so low-brow, repulsive example of bad taste.

Last edited by dementor; 04-12-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well honestly I'm from Chicago and Times Square looks amazing..Im not afraid to admit that we don't have anything like that in Chicago lol...but if you're not looking for a Time Square or something of that sort then Chicago would be a place to visit or live.

New York= Culture, Fine eatery, Shopping, Entertainment, Diversity, Architecture

Chicago= Culture, Fine eatery, Shopping, Entertainment, Diversity,Architecture (father city of the skyscraper)

New Yorkers say that Chicagoans have an inferiority complex but it seems to me that many New Yorkers feel threatened or something by Chicagoans lol
The issue is that Chicagoans think their city is all that. It's not. It's dull. It has a pedestrian mentality (some of you will probably think that means people like to walk). Is is also the most segregated city in the country. Has the highest tax rates, the highest murder rate, and the worst winters of any large city in the country.

Chicago's culture consists of Nike-town and Michal Jordan's restaurant. Fine eatery is really average eatery that they like to believe puts them in the same league as NYC - it doesn't. Shopping can be found at the Mall of America. And the architecture is among the ugliest on earth - take that Spire thing they plan to build! No cohesiveness to the city whatsoever. Just a bunch of Mies Van De Rohe style dentist buildings.

And that sickening thing in Grant Park! Who lets Frank Gehry design the bandshell for a park? The guy cannot even prevent rainwater from destroying the buildings he has designed.

The tourism poster for Chicago should be a photo of Jim Belushi and the caption, 'Da Bearz'.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Personally, I really like NYC. In fact, I wasn't saying anything to bash the city. I enjoy it. However, the truth still stands that each city has its unique qualities. Chicago has architecture and engineering, kinder people as a rule, and taller buildings; New York has media, public recognition, global government, and tourism.
The thing is that nobody in New York cares about Chicago. Anyboyd outside of Midwest for that matter. The usual question is: What's in Chicago?" What is the reason to go there? Tall building may impress an Iowan but not a New Yorker or Bostonian.

There are not that many people arguing here with Chicagoans. Notice there is whole bunch of you and only a few New Yorkers. I spend a lot of time in Chicago and can't stand your city as being utterly pretentious and parochial and in the same unable to deal with the basisc of urban reality like corruption, keeping up the infrastructure (roads) or schools (CPS).
I find Chicago annoying and terrible yet very obnoxious as the editorial in Sun-Times proves. I do not think Chicago has the edge in architecture, both the current AIA and city-data polls shows people favor New York architecture over Chicago's. I do not think Chicago has the edge in engineering. Chicago's transportations system (the L) for instance is an example of extremely dated and inadequate design. Chicago's recycling program is simply laughable.

Despite your tough talk it is easy to see that Chicago is nothing else but a grossly overgrown Midwestern town.

Last edited by dementor; 04-12-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
According to the NY Post, NYC experienced the biggest jump in mortgage delinquencies in the country for the last quarter of last year. Guess it must not be the perfect world that some try to portray.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
According to the NY Post, NYC experienced the biggest jump in mortgage delinquencies in the country for the last quarter of last year. Guess it must not be the perfect world that some try to portray.
I'm sure all of those people who could not pay their mortgages are relocating to Chicago so that there is no interruption in their environment with respect to culture, entertainment, tall buildings, fine dining, transportation and the arts.

I think maybe it had something to do with Bush bankrupting the country and that effect on the financial capitol of the world.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post

It's not a perfect world. But talking about statistics, Chicago have always been far more dangerous than New York based on per capita rates in ANY crime category. Well, it is even worse than LAPD. I think the key is that LA employed Bill Bratton, the famed NYPD commish under Gulliani, in big part responsible for turning around New York City.

One good step Chicago made was to get a Brooklyn DA to become federal prosecutor in Chicago. He is the one who putt behind bars Ryan, Laski, Rezko and hundread of others and he is the one prosecuting Blago and getting Jakcson Jr. Check out his resume in wiki Patrick Fitzgerald Patrick Fitzgerald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like all the great things in Chicago history are gifts from New York: Rockefellers founded Chicago U, Al Capone immortalized Chicago as the mob land, Trump financed some tall buildings and now Fitzgerald is cleaning up Chicago's politics. All you have to do is bow your head, say thank you and stop making absurd claims.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
The issue is that Chicagoans think their city is all that. It's not. It's dull. It has a pedestrian mentality (some of you will probably think that means people like to walk). Is is also the most segregated city in the country. Has the highest tax rates, the highest murder rate, and the worst winters of any large city in the country.

Chicago's culture consists of Nike-town and Michal Jordan's restaurant. Fine eatery is really average eatery that they like to believe puts them in the same league as NYC - it doesn't. Shopping can be found at the Mall of America. And the architecture is among the ugliest on earth - take that Spire thing they plan to build! No cohesiveness to the city whatsoever. Just a bunch of Mies Van De Rohe style dentist buildings.

And that sickening thing in Grant Park! Who lets Frank Gehry design the bandshell for a park? The guy cannot even prevent rainwater from destroying the buildings he has designed.

The tourism poster for Chicago should be a photo of Jim Belushi and the caption, 'Da Bearz'.
That makes you sound real credible. Do you not care at all how you come across? No one can take a statement like that seriously.

I find it interesting that NYC has a hard time sustaining a middle class. A recent report by the Center For An Urban Future suggests that "The Big Apple is too expensive for most people to live." It also states that NYC is unable to sustain a middle class. "There are no new jobs to sustain a middle class lifestyle, and there is little hope of upward mobility." "People are leaving, and the path from poverty to middle class is proving far more elusive." "The city is losing large numbers of demographic groups, including people with a bachelor's degree, families, immigrants, municipal workers, and the Black Community of eastern Queens."

Why would anyone want to live in a city where it's next to impossible to attain middle class existence? To live in a studio apartment in a less than desirable area of the city, just doesn't sound very appealing. Not the least little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City