Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
I don't imagine most of the people on this blog would be concerned with tax rates for incomes over $200K.

Taxing food is a tax on the poor. What is the sales tax in Chicago, 10.5%? Why not just tell the poor and working class to move out?
Sigh...I have to post this again. New York's Tax Burden Trails Only New Jersey's - August 8, 2008 - The New York Sun

And the sales tax you cited (actually 10.25) does not apply to groceries, so again nice try.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
I don't imagine most of the people on this blog would be concerned with tax rates for incomes over $200K.

Taxing food is a tax on the poor. What is the sales tax in Chicago, 10.5%? Why not just tell the poor and working class to move out?
Food (at grocery stores) is taxed at something like 2% or so.

And while the top NYS tax bracket is 8.97, income over 20k is taxed at 6.85%, which is more than double the flat Illinois tax rate of 3.0%.

In addition to that, add in a NYC income tax of at least 3%, meaning someone of modest means earning 60k and living in NYC pays 10% in state and local income tax.

I most definitely looked at state income taxes when considering where to move. Illinois (flat 3%) and Massachusetts (flat 5%) seemed quite reasonable while California and NY were significantly higher at the relevant top income brackets.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Guys: I-G-N-O-R-E.

At first I thought they were different people, but I find it hard to believe that eurous1, dementor, and northEnd are all people that felt the need to come to C-D and post incessantly not even about their own cities, but just against Chicago. Think about it. Ignore. There's actual people to discuss things with (although I thought Grapico had potential, but he's making some asinine arguments himself now).

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 22,038 times
yeah i guess your right, if you've been to the southside of chicago. buddy, people wouldn't go downtown if what you said were true. besides, if gangs is what you expect, then by all means why don't you take a visit?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 PM

100 posts, read 220,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Guys: I-G-N-O-R-E.

At first I thought they were different people, but I find it hard to believe that eurous1, dementor, and northEnd are all people that felt the need to come to C-D and post incessantly not even about their own cities, but just against Chicago. Think about it. Ignore. There's actual people to discuss things with (although I thought Grapico had potential, but he's making some asinine arguments himself now).

Listen to Lucas. Hide from the truth, or else you might not like what you discover.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Food (at grocery stores) is taxed at something like 2% or so.

And while the top NYS tax bracket is 8.97, income over 20k is taxed at 6.85%, which is more than double the flat Illinois tax rate of 3.0%.

In addition to that, add in a NYC income tax of at least 3%, meaning someone of modest means earning 60k and living in NYC pays 10% in state and local income tax.

I most definitely looked at state income taxes when considering where to move. Illinois (flat 3%) and Massachusetts (flat 5%) seemed quite reasonable while California and NY were significantly higher at the relevant top income brackets.
Unfortunately, Illinois and Chicago have no personal deduction/exemption. Add to that the privitization of the parking meters for $3.50 per hour. Nice. What does it cost you in fees and taxes to go out to one of those world class dining establishments? Must be at least $40 going right to the City/State.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, Illinois and Chicago have no personal deduction/exemption. Add to that the privitization of the parking meters for $3.50 per hour. Nice. What does it cost you in fees and taxes to go out to one of those world class dining establishments? Must be at least $40 going right to the City/State.
Why would Chicago offer a personal exemption when it levies NO INCOME TAX? The state of Illinois has a small personal exemption of a few hundred dollars.

You seriously can't be suggesting that parking costs in NYC are cheaper (on average) than Chicago?

Face it, NY is a great city, but low COL is not one of its selling points.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Haha. I HATE Chicago taxes, but honestly the tax increase is for anyone over $60K a year, and there is an associated excemption regardless. I don't own a car cause I jump the bus or train, but those meters are downtown, not residents. It would cost $40, but not if you took 4 minutes to figure out the city.

You should share more on Detroit, since that's where you're from...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post

Face it, NY is a great city, but low COL is not one of its selling points.
Never said it was. I mentioned the ridiculous Chicago restaurant tax and someone started talking about New York taxes.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha. I HATE Chicago taxes, but honestly the tax increase is for anyone over $60K a year, and there is an associated excemption regardless. I don't own a car cause I jump the bus or train, but those meters are downtown, not residents. It would cost $40, but not if you took 4 minutes to figure out the city.

You should share more on Detroit, since that's where you're from...

I'm not from Detroit. I grew up in Chicago and Milwaukee and live in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.