Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not really.
Yes really. They literally meet at the Kenosha/Racine border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
uhh dc compares to paris on a smaller scale, it was planned out to be set up like paris...it doesn't compare to anything else in the u.s. much less something in the midwest.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
Baltimore and St. Louis are kissing cousins...if you know cities, you will see this. Although smaller and without rail transit, I'd maybe throw Cincy in this category. The rest of the Midwest isn't really comparable to anything on the East Coast, the other cities are either too new, too friendly, too genuinely midwestern, or are too frame house based.
I do know cities, especially Baltimore, and I definitely wouldn't say it is the kissing cousin of St. Louis. St. Louis has a lot of flats and mostly Victorian historical. Baltimore is all rowhousing; with a lot of Georgian Revival, Italianate, brownstones, and formstone rows. IMO, every Eastern city has a significant similarity in layout, structure, housing; but each city is truly very different architecturally. St. Louis has a little bit of the same architecture, but lacks the layout and structure of the East Coast.
Now, if you're talking about culture, I'll say this...no. Balto and STL don't have that similar culture.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
uhh dc compares to paris on a smaller scale, it was planned out to be set up like paris...it doesn't compare to anything else in the u.s. much less something in the midwest.
And neither does any city compare well to any other major city.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
this is what i'm talking about on this board... pro chicago, but never been to nyc... think nyc and chicago are the same...

lol

i'd say chicago is more like philly honestly...

both more regional, sports towns, plethora of street foods, big businesses, fortune 500's similar demographics albeit philly has a smaller pop, this might be due to socially constructed boundaries.

only way I think you could say NYC matches with Chicago if you want to rank them based on how they stand in their respective regions.... not necesarily same vibe, demographics, culture... u have to start getting skyline images out of your head...

nyc has no comparative city in the u.s. you'd have to go outside of the u.s. for that to cities like london and paris.

dc also has no comparative city in the u.s.

now cities like milwaukee, providence, minneaplis, cleveland, detroit, boston, providence, philadelphia, trenton, madison, albany, buffalo are going to be able to compare them and make better cases for them... however you want to sort them that is.

What are you talking about?

Where did I say I think Chicago and New York are the same?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
You know, would Louisville be on the East Coast or Midwest?? It's like right in the middle.

Anyway, I thought Louisville was similar to Nashville in many ways.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
You know, would Louisville be on the East Coast or Midwest?? It's like right in the middle.

Anyway, I thought Louisville was similar to Nashville in many ways.
I dont know what it is 'officially,' but I tend to consider it more as the south.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I have to disagree with dementor on this one. Chicago has gotta be in the top ten global cities of the world. Saying its just regional is going a little too far.
Thanks, Dementor. And, I guess disagreeing with yourself is the new sanity.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Gosh, this is pretty hard. East Coast cities are so different from Midwestern cities. But here's a start.

Atlanta = Milwaukee
Nashville = Indianapolis
Minneapolis = Baltimore or Philadelphia
Memphis = Kansas City
NYC = Chicago (maybe)
Providence = Des Moines (???)

That's all I can think of.
Interesting comparisons... why Atlanta and Milwaukee?

In the Nashville/Indy comparison, which one are you calling East Coast? Same question for the Memphis/KC comparison.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I do know cities, especially Baltimore, and I definitely wouldn't say it is the kissing cousin of St. Louis. St. Louis has a lot of flats and mostly Victorian historical. Baltimore is all rowhousing; with a lot of Georgian Revival, Italianate, brownstones, and formstone rows. IMO, every Eastern city has a significant similarity in layout, structure, housing; but each city is truly very different architecturally. St. Louis has a little bit of the same architecture, but lacks the layout and structure of the East Coast.
Now, if you're talking about culture, I'll say this...no. Balto and STL don't have that similar culture.
Interesting. To be honest, I would say that the closest thing demographically to Baltimore in the Midwest is the South Side of Chicago. Maybe around the South Shore district. Anybody else agree?

What makes you say that St. Louis is not like Baltimore, culturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City