Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Maybe, but i think there are much better matches for Baltimore and Detroit.

Baltimore is much more like Cincinnati and St Louis.

Detroit is more Camden
Makes sense. Borderline Southern cities. Approx. the same size (?), right on bodies of water. I have never been to Cincy.

St. Louis seems more spread out than tightly-packed B-More though. I can see a comparison between Feld's Point and LaClede's landing. Wow, yeah, totally. Does anybody else agree with me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default Getting late..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Makes sense. Borderline Southern cities. Approx. the same size (?), right on bodies of water. I have never been to Cincy.

St. Louis seems more spread out than tightly-packed B-More though. I can see a comparison between Feld's Point and LaClede's landing. Wow, yeah, totally. Does anybody else agree with me on this?
...but I think that you could make a decent comparison with Detroit and Philadelphia/Camden ( both areas are/were the "Second cities" of their respective regions...

Also, I think you'll find that Minn-St.Paul are largely middle-class cities, with single-family homes with yards, while Philadelphia is simply Rowhouse Central. I'm not using skylines here; I'm comparing the neighborhood appearance in both cities, and they're completely different.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
I saw this on here somewhere once before, but now I can't find it. It's a topic that fascinates me. Isn't it interesting how similar trends develop as history repeats itself, and new cities take on the role of old cities? Anyway, enough jibba jabba. For purposes of this thread, I am including Pittsburgh in the East Coast. Let's get this thing started:

Chicago............NYC (urban heart of the region)

St. Louis...........Washington (southern bookend, southern flavor, historical city, on a River, grand monuments)

Milwaukee..........Pittsburgh (as much as I want to say Milwaukee is like Boston, it has so much in common with Pittsburgh it's ridiculous)

Minneapolis........Philly (it's around, but kinda gets overlooked. Each of these is a hidden gem in the region)

Detroit..............Baltimore (decaying urbanization, rough and rampant crime)

What are your thoughts?
You had your fund now time for reality. There is no way you could match Chicago with New York... New York for one thing is much older and full of monuments and historical buildings. New York is one of the oldes cities in America while Chicago is a little over hundred years old Midwestern abomination.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Default For the purposes of this discussion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You had your fund now time for reality. There is no way you could match Chicago with New York... New York for one thing is much older and full of monuments and historical buildings. New York is one of the oldes cities in America while Chicago is a little over hundred years old Midwestern abomination.
..Chicago SHOULD be matched with NYC , as both are the dominent cities of their respective regions.

It's pretty simple:match the Eastern city with its Midwestern counterpart.It's not such a difficult concept...for most people.

If I was comparing East-West, I'd use NYC---Los Angeles; if I compared Midwest with West, I'd use Chicago--Los Angeles...understand?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...but I think that you could make a decent comparison with Detroit and Philadelphia/Camden ( both areas are/were the "Second cities" of their respective regions...

Also, I think you'll find that Minn-St.Paul are largely middle-class cities, with single-family homes with yards, while Philadelphia is simply Rowhouse Central. I'm not using skylines here; I'm comparing the neighborhood appearance in both cities, and they're completely different.
Sure, makes sense. And you're right about Philly. Total row home world. Matter of fact, town homes across the US were originally called "Philadelphia Rows." So if that's the case, and Minneapolis/StP doesn't have that characteristic, then is there a good comparison for these two cities on the East Coast?

Also, I see Philly/Detroit, but I just don't know. Philly seems to be on the rebound, and nowhere near as bad as burn-all-the-abandoned-buildings-the-night-before-Halloween Detroit. I guess somebody who has actually been to Detroit can say this more definitively. I've only known people from there.

Though I'm from the Midwest, I am actually more familiar with East Coast cities. I love them both though; hence this thread.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Default One for the road..

I think that the closest East Coast city that you could compare with Minn-St. Paul would be Boston, and it wouldn't be perfect....but both metros are dominant in their respective states, both contain colleges/universities (although Boston has much more),you could make a case using two adjoining cities here (Boston/Cambridge vs. Minn-St. Paul) to strengthen your argument. Both also contain their state capitals, and both are the most "northern" in their respective regions.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself!

Wow, true Midwestern class...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The list is bogus!

St. Louis and Milwaukee and nothing like DC & Boston on any levels. Other than Chicago, no midwest city even comes close to the prominence and influence of east coast cities. Get serious. Put this in the us forum so we can all get a chuckle.
I know your post goes against the spirit of the thread...but check back in 3 years during election season when the politicians and pundits are all focused on Columbus and the St Louis suburbs, while the coasts are solid blue. A handful more votes in Cleveland, C-bus and Cincy in 2004 and we might be in Kerry's second term. That's influence.

So keeping that in mind.

Dubuque, IA -----------> Nashua, NH. First to vote in the primaries, and they take the responsibility seriously. Both are on a river and are quaint picturesque towns. Also, both are right across the border from the more influential states in their region.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that the closest East Coast city that you could compare with Minn-St. Paul would be Boston, and it wouldn't be perfect....but both metros are dominant in their respective states, both contain colleges/universities (although Boston has much more),you could make a case using two adjoining cities here (Boston/Cambridge vs. Minn-St. Paul) to strengthen your argument. Both also contain their state capitals, and both are the most "northern" in their respective regions.

Yeah, that makes sense. Interesting, I've never thought of that comparison before. Hey, by the by, does anybody know the best way to come back after one's account has been blocked?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Ya, thats great. Except Chicago was settled about 240 years ago.

Ive never been to New York, so I cant say much for it.

Good job at trying to bash Chicago, make ya feel better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City