Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times

Advertisements

Hip-hop made a comeback last year and it's only getting better,you have to not be looking very well if you can't find the real artists. And they are EVERYWHERE not just the East.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i gotsta throw out prince paul

YouTube - Prince Paul - Prince Among Thieves

Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Oh, and as far as the top selling rapper out now, I really like the music in Lil Wayne's songs, but he is actually one of the worst rappers I've ever heard. He raps like he's high and just saying stupid stuff and goofing off. All the rappers in that list of southern artists I just gave are easily 10 times better than Wayne. And that crabby voice gets to be downright annoying. He and Ja Rule ought to do an album and call it Crabby and Raspy.
LOL Lil' Wayne and Ja Rule LMAO wow, what a crapfest that'd be!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
1986-1998 east coast hip hop is unprecedented. I usually try & be somewhat accommodating & partial, but................... Lets be serious.
The last 10 or so years have been straight lame for hip hop as a whole. This is the same time period when the South took control of the Airwaves & the direction of the record labels. You guys below the Mason Dixon cherish lowest common denominator culture & it shows in the BS hip hop you support.
I know I'm being rude, but it must be said. You all are strangling a once innovative art form.
Yeah I totally concur with you. The majority of the South music is commercialized. Northern Hip Hop right now is underground. People Like soldja boy, lil wayne, and the other person which i forgot his name but he has a song that goes by "a bay bay". These people are killing hip hop. There are a few rappers from the south that are really good. Like T.I., Ludacris, etc... However the majority of the southern rappers are killing Hip Hop. Hip Hop used to be lyrical, now it's all commercialized.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 04-23-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah I totally concur with you. The majority of the South music is commercialized. Northern Hip Hop right now is underground. People Like soldja boy, lil wayne, and the other person which i forgot his name but he has a song that goes by "a bay bay". These people are killing hip hop. There are a few rappers from the south that are really good. Like T.I., Ludacris, etc... However the majority of the southern rappers are killing Hip Hop. Hip Hop used to be lyrical, now it's all commercialized.

when rap first started out it was just about Ryhming different words together whether it made since or not so I dont thinK Atlanta people are doing anything different than what they did back then. Even though that music gets on my nerves , here is a of old school rap Example

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

now what you hear is not a test--i'm rappin to the beat
and me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
see i am wonder mike and i like to say hello
to the black, to the white, the red, and the brown, the purple and yellow
but first i gotta bang bang the boogie to the boogie
say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie
let's rock, you dont stop
rock the riddle that will make your body rock
well so far youve heard my voice but i brought two friends along
and next on the mike is my man hank
come on, hank, sing that song

Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
when rap first started out it was just about Ryhming different words together whether it made since or not so I dont thinK Atlanta people are doing anything different than what they did back then. Even though that music gets on my nerves , here is a of old school rap Example

Oh PLEASE, you call that RAP??? That's GARBAGE!!!

THIS is real RAP

When I was in college, my fraternity brothers and I were in a contest as part of Greek Olympics and we had to do some kind of performance, so we did a whole rap and music act. It was AWESOME, the rapping was incredible and we hooked up computers to the sound system and electrified a violin and everything.

HERE'S what REAL RAP is like (this is the rap my fraternity did back in the '80's):

Clap your hands everybody...
and everybody clap your hands.
We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu.
We come here on stage tonight to do our show for you.
We got a rockin rhythm and a hi-tech sound
that'll make you move your body down to the ground.
We got Poindexter on the violin,
and Lewis and Gilbert will be joining.
We got Booger Presley on the mean guitar
and a rap by little ol' me Lamar.
We got Takashi beating on his gong,
the boys and the mu's are clapping along.
And just when you thought, ya seen it all,
along comes a Lambda four foot tall.
So won't ya come on out here on the floor, s
o we can move our bodies, like never before.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Oh PLEASE, you call that RAP??? That's GARBAGE!!!

THIS is real RAP

When I was in college, my fraternity brothers and I were in a contest as part of Greek Olympics and we had to do some kind of performance, so we did a whole rap and music act. It was AWESOME, the rapping was incredible and we hooked up computers to the sound system and electrified a violin and everything.

HERE'S what REAL RAP is like (this is the rap my fraternity did back in the '80's):

Clap your hands everybody...
and everybody clap your hands.
We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu.
We come here on stage tonight to do our show for you.
We got a rockin rhythm and a hi-tech sound
that'll make you move your body down to the ground.
We got Poindexter on the violin,
and Lewis and Gilbert will be joining.
We got Booger Presley on the mean guitar
and a rap by little ol' me Lamar.
We got Takashi beating on his gong,
the boys and the mu's are clapping along.
And just when you thought, ya seen it all,
along comes a Lambda four foot tall.
So won't ya come on out here on the floor, s
o we can move our bodies, like never before.

Someone is on attack mode thats my que to exit

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Someone is on attack mode thats my que to exit
Not on attack mode, I was just joking around! Seriously, did you watch what I posted????

Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:

There was some rap influenced by disco, like that example. But what I LOVE about northern hip hop is the classic kind. Rap was once meaningful and positive, like this song:

The longer you stay, the more you pay
My white lines go a long way
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothin to gain except killin’ your brain

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
1986-1998 east coast hip hop is unprecedented. I usually try & be somewhat accommodating & partial, but................... Lets be serious.
The last 10 or so years have been straight lame for hip hop as a whole. This is the same time period when the South took control of the Airwaves & the direction of the record labels. You guys below the Mason Dixon cherish lowest common denominator culture & it shows in the BS hip hop you support.
I know I'm being rude, but it must be said. You all are strangling a once innovative art form.
Well honestly, during that 86-98 time, the South actually had some great artists and music themselves but wasn't heard from much. From Geto Boyz and Scarface to Outkast to Goodie Mob to UGK. Then the materialism started to take hold of hip hop and most forget that this same materialism started with the east coast. Who started the shiny suit era and all the BS that is prevalent in hip hop today? Name is P diddy and record company is Bad Boy and this all started in 1997. The South just capitalized on that when Cash Money came out. From there it went downhill and you can blame the record companies for this. The last 5 years especially has been pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City