Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Tier II Southern cities (in order of regional importance):

Nashville
Charlotte
Tampa
Austin
New Orleans
San Antonio
I'm curious as to how you came up with that listing by using regional importance as the qualifier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Really?? You don't think so? I live in Concord. But anyways, I just think using Houston's sprawl as an excuse to why it has more places of interest then Charlotte, is just false.
I do agree with that.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Charlotte's sprawl isn't THAT bad. The furthest north Charlotte sprawls is into Concord, which is still a good distance from Greensboro. No doubt that we've got a lot of it, but Charlotte's sprawl being almost as worse as Houston's is a joke.
Just under 100 square miles, Houston population competes with Charlotte and still offers more than Charlotte just in that small amount of land. Houston sprawls, but it's pretty centralized.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree with this list.
i totally agree w/ these two fellows and their listings. it is an example of my post regarding the distinct differences between tier 1 and tier 2 cities.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm curious as to how you came up with that listing by using regional importance as the qualifier.
IMO if we were doing regional importance I would change that list to this

Charlotte (banking)
New Orleans (oil and shipping)
Nashville (music)
Austin
San Antonio
Tampa

Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i totally agree w/ these two fellows and their listings. it is an example of my post regarding the distinct differences between tier 1 and tier 2 cities.
Let me refresh your memory as to why I don't agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
not to belabor the point, however, if you are in any city other than the tier one cities named, get in a car, boat, train, or plane and make a trek to any of the teir one destinations. carefully note how you feel when you arrive in their downtowns. remember what you see, and compare it to the city or cities that you left. again, regional pride as compared to that of a world view. it is a big, big, world, and the cities in the state of south carolina, the city of nashville, tn, and the city of austin, tx are not, in the context of a world view, in the running.
You clearly said 'carefully note how you feel when you arrive in their downtowns'. If you really think that the 'downtowns' of tier one southern cities are light years ahead of tier two southern cities you are wrong.

However, tier one NORTH EASTERN cities have downtowns that are light years ahead of tier two southern cities (tier one southern cities too). That is what I meant when I said that Houstons and Atlantas are sprawlvilles. So are Charlottes and Nashvilles. I hope I don't have to post pictures of tier one cities like Boston and Houston so you all can see the difference between Boston's urbanity and Houston's sprawl. I seriously would hate to do that being that this thread is ALL about tier two southern cities.

The bottom line is that Boston looks more like NYC than it does Houston. Houston looks more like Charlotte and Nashville than it does Boston. Again, if you would like to see pics, let me know.

I will say this much though. Houston does have a kick a$$ skyline though. Unfortunately, the city is not very urban at the street level (the same problem tier 2 southern cities have)

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-16-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No 'pettiness' going here. I just simply gave my opinion (calling all cities in the south sprawl-topias) and a couple of Atlantans (surprise, surprise) are a little offended. Sorry. It is not my fault that I see little difference in the sprawl of a tier two city in the south from that of a tier one city in the south.
It was your statement that Atlantans had no right to post on this thread that provoked my response, not anything you might have to say about my hometown. You clearly have no knowledge of it in the first place, so why should I be bothered?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM

229 posts, read 520,513 times
Someone posted sprawl statistics and the most sprawly cities were not even in the South (except a few). Correct?
Can someone find and repost the metro sprawl stats?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It was your statement that Atlantans had no right to post on this thread that provoked my response, not anything you might have to say about my hometown. You clearly have no knowledge of it in the first place, so why should I be bothered?

Lived in Highland Park subdivision just off of the Panola Rd exit on I-20 (just down the road from Decatur). Indian Creek station was my closest MARTA station. Anything else you would like to know.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Lived in Highland Park subdivision just off of the Panola Rd exit on I-20 (just down the road from Decatur). Indian Creek station was my closest MARTA station. Anything else you would like to know.
And that was your Atlanta experience? OK, now I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City