Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,902,089 times

Advertisements

Right. IMO, the tier 1 Southern cities are Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami.

And some would disagree with Orlando being the "best tourist city in the South." Personally, I prefer being a tourist in Charleston over Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,976,177 times
The Charleston/Orlando comparison is an interesting one. I like the scenery of Charleston a lot better, but as far as repeat tourism, Orlando wins hands down. After a couple trips to Charleston it's like been there, done that. But especially with kids the attractions in Orlando can be fun at a younger age or at teenage, and there's plenty to choose from. I wouldn't want to live in either city, though. I mean once you get past their gimmick, or main tourism marketing aspects, they're not really a whole lot to brag about.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,374,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Urban, I think you are correct in that Charlotte is not given enough credit for what it is. It has a very nice and thriving downtown (uptown) area. Ahead of all other tier 2 southern cities with exception of maybe Nashville. Very walkable and accessible.
I do not believe though that the tier 1 southern cities are distinguished from Charlotte because they sprawl more (as you said in an earlier post). Charlotte's amenities are almost entirely concentrated within it's relatively small cbd, while the southern mega-metros have nodes and districts of interest all over the place.
That was my point exactly!!! The 5 million plus metros of the south have points of interest outside of the central city. That my friend is sprawl. Just imagine how much more urban Houston would look and feel if its 2.2 million population was in a dense city of less than 100 sq miles instead of being in a sprawl-topia of nearly 600 sq/miles. Houston's density is almost equal to Huntington, West Virginia (I am not joking).

I stand by my earlier statements when I said that sprawl is the difference between tier one and tier two southern towns. Miami is the only exception to this.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,393,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That was my point exactly!!! The 5 million plus metros of the south have points of interest outside of the central city. That my friend is sprawl. Just imagine how much more urban Houston would look and feel if its 2.2 million population was in a dense city of less than 100 sq miles instead of being in a sprawl-topia of nearly 600 sq/miles. Houston's density is almost equal to Huntington, West Virginia (I am not joking).

I stand by my earlier statements when I said that sprawl is the difference between tier one and tier two southern towns. Miami is the only exception to this.
Located within the sprawl of the tier 1 metros are employment centers and edge cities that could swallow Uptown Charlotte whole.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

And I've got news for you, Charlotte is shaping up just like all the others. The sprawl spilling out past I-485 looks exactly like Atlanta's. Exactly.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,352,585 times
Default the accidential tourist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Right. IMO, the tier 1 Southern cities are Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami.

And some would disagree with Orlando being the "best tourist city in the South." Personally, I prefer being a tourist in Charleston over Orlando.

i certainly have to agree w/ you wholeheartedly on this. i have nothing against orlando per se; however, there is only so much amusement park one can take. of course, they have the ocean, as does charleston. charleston hands down is more interesting because of its history w/ the civil war, the slave market, the college of charleston, the port of charleston, the differences in culture, the plantations, the middleton gardens, gulla coastal influence, etc. there just isn't any comparison to the two, if you are comparing continued local interests.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Located within the sprawl of the tier 1 metros are employment centers and edge cities that could swallow Uptown Charlotte whole.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

And I've got news for you, Charlotte is shaping up just like all the others. The sprawl spilling out past I-485 looks exactly like Atlanta's. Exactly.
I used to live off of Panola Rd and I-20 (Highland Park) in Lithonia. I am not impressed with North Georgia's sprawl so save it for someone who actually cares.

What Atl needs to do is take lessons from Charlotte in expanding mass transit. Oh wait, y'all already have.

Charlotte transit plans leave Atlanta in slow lane | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/saporta/stories/2008/03/30/saporta_0331.html - broken link)
Charlotte shows state support for transit is vital | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/printedition/2008/04/07/saporta0407.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-16-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM

229 posts, read 521,680 times
Quote:

I still disagree with you. Sprawl in Charlotte almost equals rural. In the bigger metros, what YOU see as sprawl I see as urban to semi-urban districts which happen to be outside of the CBD (or in Dallas' and Atlanta's case adjacent to). For me and some others, this type of set up makes a city much more interesting because once you leave downtown, there are many other options for live, work and play. Charlotte just does not offer that, once one leaves downtown there is not much else, except maybe southpark area.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I used to live off of Panola Rd and I-20 (Highland Park) in Lithonia. I am not impressed with North Georgia's sprawl so save it for someone who actually cares.

What Atl needs to do is take lessons from Charlotte in expanding mass transit. Oh wait, y'll already have.

Charlotte transit plans leave Atlanta in slow lane | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/saporta/stories/2008/03/30/saporta_0331.html - broken link)
Charlotte shows state support for transit is vital | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/printedition/2008/04/07/saporta0407.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)
Well, impressed or not you better get used to it because your area seems hellbent on repeating it. My eyes don't lie.

And LOL at expanding mass transit. While your new little 8 mile light rail line is cute, get back to us when you have 48 miles of heavy rail carrying over 300,000 people a day.

When is the airport line to open - 2040?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
I still disagree with you. Sprawl in Charlotte almost equals rural. In the bigger metros, what YOU see as sprawl I see as urban to semi-urban districts which happen to be outside of the CBD (or in Dallas' and Atlanta's case adjacent to). For me and some others, this type of set up makes a city much more interesting because once you leave downtown, there are many other options for live, work and play. Charlotte just does not offer that, once one leaves downtown there is not much else, except maybe southpark area.
South End area (outside of uptown)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

thanx tozmervo, atlrvr and krazeeboi for images

If you would like to see more semi-urban areas outside of Charlotte's uptown, let me know. And South Park is not urban. I find it funny that you think it is.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM

^That area is directly adjacent to Uptown.

While all of this is nice, it pales to what has been going on here for years. AND, it does not negate the sprawl that is happening all over the metro Charlotte area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City