Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,715,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
None. Sorry.
I agree none really. If any it would be Miami, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,975,594 times
I don't understand a "none" answer. If there are second tier cities in the south (are there?) and some of them are better than others (are some better than others?), then it's hard to fathom that there is a such answer as "none." Does that mean that there are no 2nd tier cities in the south or does it mean that there are second tier cities but they are all perfectly equal to each other so that none is better than others?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,391,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I don't understand a "none" answer. If there are second tier cities in the south (are there?) and some of them are better than others (are some better than others?), then it's hard to fathom that there is a such answer as "none." Does that mean that there are no 2nd tier cities in the south or does it mean that there are second tier cities but they are all perfectly equal to each other so that none is better than others?
Stick around a little while MantaRay, and you'll get what they mean. It's called pure hatred of an entire region of their own country.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,758,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
You would think if they didn't have a real answer, why would they bother posting in the first place?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,351,955 times
Default the big dogs are in the yard...others stay on the porch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I guess it really just depends on how one is viewing respective tier cities. If the cities are respective only to the south, an argument could be made that perhaps Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, and San Antonio could be first tier cities. I say the second tier cities of the South include a respective definition of metro and urban area population and gdp.

But until that definition comes along with the big three SC areas I also like Winston-Salem.

not to belabor the point, however, if you are in any city other than the tier one cities named, get in a car, boat, train, or plane and make a trek to any of the teir one destinations. carefully note how you feel when you arrive in their downtowns. remember what you see, and compare it to the city or cities that you left. again, regional pride as compared to that of a world view. it is a big, big, world, and the cities in the state of south carolina, the city of nashville, tn, and the city of austin, tx are not, in the context of a world view, in the running.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
not to belabor the point, however, if you are in any city other than the tier one cities named, get in a car, boat, train, or plane and make a trek to any of the teir one destinations. carefully note how you feel when you arrive in their downtowns. remember what you see, and compare it to the city or cities that you left. again, regional pride as compared to that of a world view. it is a big, big, world, and the cities in the state of south carolina, the city of nashville, tn, and the city of austin, tx are not, in the context of a world view, in the running.
Skyscrapers do not make the city

Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,975,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
not to belabor the point, however, if you are in any city other than the tier one cities named, get in a car, boat, train, or plane and make a trek to any of the teir one destinations. carefully note how you feel when you arrive in their downtowns.
The word "sardine" comes to mind.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,351,955 times
those are true statements. what else?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,861,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
There is nothing second tier about the Austin/San Antonio region, the same goes for Charlotte and Nashville.
We're not talking about regions.

Even so, the only way those places would ever be 1st tier in the south anytime soon would be if Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and perhaps Miami didn't exist. Those are the south's 1st tier.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM

624 posts, read 908,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Stick around a little while MantaRay, and you'll get what they mean. It's called pure hatred of an entire region of their own country.
Okay if the answer is none I guess we can say the same for the northeast, midwest and the west just kidding I like Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City