Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,073,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Denver is a great sports city...they support the Nuggets well, the Broncos religiously, the Avalanche pretty well, and occassionally the Rockies.

I suppose it was a better sports city a few years ago though, when they had Elway under center and Roy in net.
With the exception of the Broncos and to a lesser extent, the Rockies, Denver supports its teams when they are doing well. Just look at the attendance numbers for the Nuggets during the 80s and 90s. Also, attendance numbers for the Avs have dropped since they haven't been playing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's easy to have atmosphere in a college town. You could get drunk twenty-somethings to yell for hula hoop tournaments.
Ha! If so then why is the atmosphere at pretty much every sport here besides Football fairly mild?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,386,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Ha! If so then why is the atmosphere at pretty much every sport here besides Football fairly mild?
Because all the sheep were told by the beer commercials that football was the place to be, bro! Yeehaw!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM

795 posts, read 2,415,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
With the exception of the Broncos and to a lesser extent, the Rockies, Denver supports its teams when they are doing well. Just look at the attendance numbers for the Nuggets during the 80s and 90s. Also, attendance numbers for the Avs have dropped since they haven't been playing well.
This isn't true at all. The fact that all the major teams play downtown and are walkable from each other makes attendance easy for folks. The rockies were recenty in the world series, the avs have two stanley cups in the last 12 years.

If you look at attendance for pro teams the better they do the more people attend games. The nuggets have a better attendance than both the Hawks and Magic this year who are also in the payoffs.

The avs just didnt play well this year they sucked. they also had star players like Sakic and Stasny injured most of the season. The avs were 32-45 but still had a higher attendance than Nashville who were 40-34, and were right up there in attendance with Colombus who were 41-31.

The rockies are doing horribly this year (13-18) but they are 12th in attendance thus far...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
This isn't true at all. The fact that all the major teams play downtown and are walkable from each other makes attendance easy for folks. The rockies were recenty in the world series, the avs have two stanley cups in the last 12 years.

If you look at attendance for pro teams the better they do the more people attend games. The nuggets have a better attendance than both the Hawks and Magic this year who are also in the payoffs.

The avs just didnt play well this year they sucked. they also had star players like Sakic and Stasny injured most of the season. The avs were 32-45 but still had a higher attendance than Nashville who were 40-34, and were right up there in attendance with Colombus who were 41-31.

The rockies are doing horribly this year (13-18) but they are 12th in attendance thus far...
MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball Attendance - ESPN
Did you not read my post or do you have trouble comprehending? I clearly stated that the Broncos and to a lesser extent, the Rockies have had great support. The Nuggets and the Avs. are a different story because they won't get the support if they aren't playing well. The attendance numbers are there for everyone to view so go look them up.

I lived in Denver when the Nuggets were averaging 14,000 or less per game. I also lived in Denver when the city inherited the Avs. from Quebec. Denver did a great job of supporting the team when it made the playoffs during its first year in the city. The team was supported well for years after winning the Cup because they were winning. This year the Avs. ranked 27th out of 32 teams. Is this how "great sports" cities support their teams?

BTW, fact that all the arenas/stadiums are close to one another has nothing to do with whether or not people show up. I think in Denver's case it has to do with what you said; the better a city's team is doing, the more people attend games. In other words, Denver could almost be considered more of a bandwagon city than a great sports city.

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-13-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Did you not read my post or do you have trouble comprehending? I clearly stated that the Broncos and to a lesser extent, the Rockies have had great support. The Nuggets and the Avs. are a different story because they won't get the support if they aren't playing well. The attendance numbers are there for everyone to view so go look them up.

The fact that all the arenas/stadiums are close to one another has nothing to do with whether or not people show up.

I lived in Denver when the Nuggets were averaging 14,000 or less per game. I also lived in Denver when the city inherited the Avs. from Quebec. Denver did a great job of supporting the team when it made the playoffs during its first year in the city. The team was supported well for years after winning the Cup because they were winning. This year the Avs. ranked 27th out of 32 teams.
Oh I see so since the numbers I posted destroy your argument that Denver is poor at supporting pro teams you decide to change your position? Sorry it was clear where you are coming from.

The Rockies have never seen their attendance slip below 28k per game. And having stadiums within close proximity to a downtown core absolutely helps fill the seats. This is why pro teams always try to get a new stadium downtown. Care to debate the new Pac bell park location in SF?

The avs had one of the worst records this year and as i said eariler had their star players out. But oddly if you say the team has been well supported until this year then you must be arguing against your own point - that Denver is poor at supporting their teams. They didnt always win the stanley cup or win a championship.

The nuggets have had little success and so I fail to see how they should have better or near the attendance then say the bulls or celtics. However, the nuggets were 17th overal in attendance this year of all NBA teams. Not bad considering they havent had much success in the past and have been a playoff first round blowout.

This link is saying Denver is #7 sports city so i think any doubt of your position has now been removed
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=468401

Last edited by D-town 720; 05-13-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM

10,183 posts, read 20,843,876 times
Unfortunately Boston is at the top. I've never seen a city so wrapped up in it's sports teams in all my travels. Everything revolves around Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and Bruins. All year round it's nothing but foaming at the mouth rabid sports fans on TV commercials, radio, news print, restaurants, barber shops you name it. Men, women and children of all ages go on and on about Red Sox this and Patriots that, it's pathetic. This is a city that has so much going for it, but sports over shadows everything and pre-occupies the minds of it's residents. Never seen anything like it anywhere and hope I never will. There is so much hate for the Yankees in Boston that you'll see examples of it across the entire state. It's so random and widespread that the inferiority complex of Bostonians comes seathing out at the mere mention of NYC. They can't relate to NYC unless they bash the Yankees or Eli Manning first.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I see so since the numbers I posted destroy your argument that Denver is poor at supporting pro teams you decide to change your position? Sorry it was clear where you are coming from.
You didn't destroy anything I stated. Again, I never said that the Rockies haven't been supported.

Quote:
The Rockies have never seen their attendance slip below 28k per game. And having stadiums within close proximity to a downtown core absolutely helps fill the seats. This is why pro teams always try to get a new stadium downtown. Care to debate the new Pac bell park location in SF?
You are absolutely wrong. Ever heard of the Dallas Cowboys? Their stadium isn't exactly in downtown Dallas is it? I don't think they have any problems filling the stadium. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have baseball stadiums downtown and look at their poor numbers.

Quote:
The nuggets have had little success and so I fail to see how they should have better attendance then say the bulls or celtics.
Now that the Nuggets are doing well, they are getting fan support. Nothing like jumping on the wagon. A great sports city should support its team no matter how bad they are.

LOL! Lawrence, KS is listed in the top 20. The town has college basketball and nothing else. Grand Forks, ND is extreme about the Fighting Sioux, but I don't think of it as being a great sports city.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Unfortunately Boston is at the top. I've never seen a city so wrapped up in it's sports teams in all my travels. Everything revolves around Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and Bruins. All year round it's nothing but foaming at the mouth rabid sports fans on TV commercials, radio, news print, restaurants, barber shops you name it. Men, women and children of all ages go on and on about Red Sox this and Patriots that, it's pathetic. This is a city that has so much going for it, but sports over shadows everything and pre-occupies the minds of it's residents. Never seen anything like it anywhere and hope I never will. There is so much hate for the Yankees in Boston that you'll see examples of it across the entire state. It's so random and widespread that the inferiority complex of Bostonians comes seathing out at the mere mention of NYC. They can't relate to NYC unless they bash the Yankees or Eli Manning first.
Boston no doubt is the number one sports city. The red sox have been great since the 80's. the pats well have had a lot of recent success as well as the celtics. Of course the fan base seems to be here a product of success in a pro team. Losing teams just don't get much support and cities with multiple losing teams seem to suffer from this.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You didn't destroy anything I stated. Again, I never said that the Rockies haven't been supported.

Ever heard of the Dallas Cowboys? Their stadium isn't exactly in downtown Dallas is it? I don't think they have any problems filling the stadium. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have baseball stadiums downtown and look at their poor numbers.

Now that the Nuggets are doing well, they are getting fan support. Nothing like jumping on the wagon. A great sports city should support its team no matter how bad they are.

LOL! Lawrence, KS is listed in the top 20. The town has college basketball and nothing else. Grand Forks, ND is extreme about the Fighting Sioux, but I don't think of it as being a great sports city.
Wow you have nowhere to go. How is it again that Denver is poor at supporting its teams? how is it that cities with losing teams still get a lot of support?

Tell me again how a centralized stadium in a city wont draw more fans then a decentralzied stadium? Are you saying that the cowboys would have less attendance if their stadium was downtown???

"""Our Best Sports City rankings, which look at the 12 months from roughly October 2007 to October 2008, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance."""
Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City