Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 AM

330 posts, read 681,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
When I look up the definition of city skyline no where does it say that it must include the central business district only or can't be long and linear. Also streetscape has nothing to do with skyline either. Ask yourself are you truly a skyline or skyscraper enthusiast? If the answer is yes you gotta go with Atlanta. Why? If you like me have driven through both cities you know Atlanta is more of a feast for the eyes. Yeah when you first hit Philly the skyline is thrilling. It's great. But drive a little bit and it's gone, all over, that's it.

But drive through Atlanta on the Connector and turn off onto GA 400. Coming in you see Atlanta's downtown which is great and looks denser from street level than most of the photo's show (and taller than Philly) but I admit is no match for Philly's downtown but wait. Coming out of the Grady Curve tunnel you then see Midtown which is impressive, taller and has better architecture than Philly. Leaving Midtown you even get to see the mini skyline of Atlantic Station that's really growing and is an additional treat. Then after a short distance on 400 there's Buckhead which is getting to be huge. That's like a bonus treat of eye candy if you have a skyscraper sweet tooth.

So if you are a true skyscraper junkie I challenge you to take a drive through both cities. I don't think you can honestly say Philly wins hands down. If density is all that matters to you yeah Philly. But C'mon, seriously Atlanta gives you more bang for your buck when it comes to just shear volume and quality of good looking architecture. And also driving up Peachtree there's a parade of fantastic buildings that stretches mile after mile.

Here's a video of that highway drive through Atlanta only in reverse.

YouTube - Atlanta, GA Downtown Freeways at Night

YouTube - Atlanta GA-400 South
Granted, Atlanta's skyscrapers do extend for several miles, while Philly has almost nothing outside it's compact downtown. I'll give you that much.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:23 PM

157 posts, read 397,822 times
Atlanta. When you include Midtown and Buckhead, it's truly stunning.

Dense old buildings don't impress me. To each his own...

Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times
Atlanta has a really nice skyline seeing that video driving at night. Very beautiful and lots of great looking skyscrapers...I'll give you that. But then again, all great skylines have one thing in common, density. Philadelphia's compact skyline is very impressive, dense, large, and has great pinnacles. All our 5 700+ footers stand up beautifully among the dense core of 400 footers. Two very different skylines...I prefer a dense skyline with height. Also from a street perspective, density really helps.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
honestly, if ATL grouped their talls and buckhead together, it would blow away many a city...and match ny & chi

That statement is so bold and innacurate, I really don't know where to begin.

Have you ever been to NY or Chicago, because no way Atlata would match either of them cities.

Atlanta doesn't even compare to San Francisco, Boston, or Miami. All threeo have about 300 or more highrises, of course these are last years stats. But I would assume not that much has changed. Philly has about 160 highrises for last years count.

Chicago has 1000. That's two Los Angeles, or three and a bit more Boston's and San Francisco's.

NY has 5700 highrises. That's almost six Chicago's.

To say Atlanta can match those cities is rediculous at best. Not even comparible. I don't think you have ever been out of Atlanta to make such bold and innacurate statements. NY and Chicago will crush Atlanta, like its an amish town.

By the way, I suppose you'll start to say how Atlanta is growing faster, blah, blah, blah.

In the last few years, NY add's about 150 highrises a year. Chicago a good 50. Atlanta will never come close to those cities. Do you think only Atlanta has new development or growth.

Besides, personally I think Atlanta is going to level off eventually (like real soon) and that their peek building boom is well over.

It's nice to love your city, which you obviously do, but to be so unrealistically in denial is not a very good trait. Tell your dumb friends this stuff, but don't come preaching on a site where clearly people know better.

By the way I would choose Philly's skyline over Atlanta's. I think Atlanta has made vast improvements over the last ten years, but I still don't think that it comes anywhere near Philly's.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-05-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 03:08 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
That statement is so bold and innacurate, I really don't know where to begin.

Have you ever been to NY or Chicago, because no way Atlata would match either of them cities.

Atlanta doesn't even compare to San Francisco, Boston, or Miami. All threeo have about 300 or more highrises, of course these are last years stats. But I would assume not that much has changed. Philly has about 160 highrises for last years count.

Chicago has 1000. That's two Los Angeles, or three and a bit more Boston's and San Francisco's.

NY has 5700 highrises. That's almost six Chicago's.

To say Atlanta can match those cities is rediculous at best. Not even comparible. I don't think you have ever been out of Atlanta to make such bold and innacurate statements. NY and Chicago will crush Atlanta, like its an amish town.

By the way, I suppose you'll start to say how Atlanta is growing faster, blah, blah, blah.

NY add's about 150 highrises a year. Chicago a good 50. Atlanta will never come close to those cities. Do you think only Atlanta has new development or growth.

Besides, personally I think Atlanta is going to level off eventually (like real soon) and that their peek building boom is well over.

It's nice to love your city, which you obviously do, but to be so unrealistically in denial is not a very good trait. Tell your dumb friends this stuff, but don't come preaching on a site where clearly people know better.
Did you notice his location is philly/nj/nyc LOL!! Nobody in ATL thinks Atlanta is catching NY or Chicago. I think he was just talking about skyline, not number of building. People have been saying that Atlanta growth will taper off for the past 20 years. Sounds like wishful thinking. You are going to be highly disappointed.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Did you notice his location is philly/nj/nyc LOL!! Nobody in ATL thinks Atlanta is catching NY or Chicago. I think he was just talking about skyline, not number of building. People have been saying that Atlanta growth will taper off for the past 20 years. Sounds like wishful thinking. You are going to be highly disappointed.

I am not a mindreader. I can't honestly tell what he is thinking. I wouln't assume anything outside of what he puts down. Anyway's, highrisers are what makes a skyline, so I guess I am a bit confused on what your exactly saying that he is thinking. And yes, I absolutely think that Atlanta's growth is going to seriously strain. That's my opinion, I am not hoping it, I don't really care. Just like it is your opinion that it won't. Neither one of us knows for sure, we'll have to let time take it's toll and then and only then will we really know.

Good day,

Truth be told, If Atlanta was anywhere near on pace with cities like NY or Chicago for their metro populations. They would have at least 500 highrises, in which they don't. It's apparently the city planners fault for this. See, fixed it Galounger..I might have mispoken on that one. I am not immune to mistakes..Thanks for the correction....

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-05-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
I am not a mindreader. I can't honestly tell what he is thinking. I wouln't assume anything outside of what he puts down. Anyway's, highrisers are what makes a skyline, so I guess I am a bit confused on what your exactly saying that he is thinking. And yes, I absolutely think that Atlanta's growth is going to seriously strain. That's my opinion, I am not hoping it, I don't really care. Just like it is your opinion that it won't. Neither one of us knows for sure, we'll have to let time take it's toll and then and only then will we really know.

Good day,

Truth be told, If Atlanta was anywhere near on pace with cities like NY or Chicago for their metro populations. They would have at least 500 highrises, in which they don't. It's the city planners fault for making Atlanta almost impossible to ever have that sort of sustainability. They have way to many highways cutting through their downtown to make certain types of growth possible.

What?! Downtown Atlanta only has the connector (I75/85) and I20 cutting thru it forming a simple cross. That's less than most cities it's size. (Columbus Oh, and Indianapolis for instance have more individual highways thru there centers). I've heard of people complaining about Atlanta not having enough highways downtown but not the opposite. That's one of the things that strikes me as making Atlanta unique. The small number of highways going through it's center compared to other large cities. Ofcourse one of those highways (the connector) is like 14 lanes wide but I think that is still less obtrusive than having several highways pass through.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:

Good day,

Truth be told, If Atlanta was anywhere near on pace with cities like NY or Chicago for their metro populations. They would have at least 500 highrises, in which they don't. It's the city planners fault for making Atlanta almost impossible to ever have that sort of sustainability. They have way to many highways cutting through their downtown to make certain types of growth possible.

Atlanta has been "booming" since Sherman torched it in 1864...it isn't a recent phenomenon. The population growth percentage has been in double figures each decade for 150 years...what indicators are there telling you that it will "seriously strain"? Your statement should read that you "HOPE it will seriously strain"...unless you have researched the subject and have some information that the rest of us don't know about.

There is no need for people like this to be so hatelful toward other American cities. No one is sitting on this side of the fence boasting about our growth and prosperity, looking down on cities that are having a hard time and losing population. It's sad that some people can't see past their envy...and yes, it's very apparent that many people on this site are envious of the rise in popularity of what they consider "lesser cities". Philadelphia had it's moment in the sun - it's time to be mature and let some other cities shine for a while, don't you think?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Good day,

From a skyline view, you can't see every building. If Atlanta filled in the gaps, it would resemble Chicago. It will not be as dense or have more building, it will simply resemble it from a skyline point of view. Do you know what a skyline is? I have friends from Chicago that even say this. Atlanta will never catch NY or Chicago in our lifetime, but the skyline will one day have the facade of Chicago's skyline.

I don't know what you are talking about with to many highways running through it. We have the connector and 20.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta has been "booming" since Sherman torched it in 1864...it isn't a recent phenomenon. The population growth percentage has been in double figures each decade for 150 years...what indicators are there telling you that it will "seriously strain"? Your statement should read that you "HOPE it will seriously strain"...unless you have researched the subject and have some information that the rest of us don't know about.

There is no need for people like this to be so hatelful toward other American cities. No one is sitting on this side of the fence boasting about our growth and prosperity, looking down on cities that are having a hard time and losing population. It's sad that some people can't see past their envy...and yes, it's very apparent that many people on this site are envious of the rise in popularity of what they consider "lesser cities". Philadelphia had it's moment in the sun - it's time to be mature and let some other cities shine for a while, don't you think?
I love your post DeaconJ. You keep it real and to the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City