Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
It isn't classified as anything. There is no global business ranking.

And Chicago is a fraction of LA's size. It just can't compare.

Chicago can maybe compete with SF and DC, but comparing it to LA is like comparing it to Detroit. Just ridiculous.
Chicago ranked as number one trading city (http://www.chicagolandchamber.org/news/newsarchive/Pages/Chicagorankedasnumberonetradingcity.aspx - broken link)

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/Portals/0/BestTradeCity08.pdf (broken link)

"Chicago boasts more than twice as much trading volume as New York and more trading volume than all European exchanges combined."

If the trading in Chicago doesn't have some effect on you, you are not on this planet.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
It would take years and billions to replace Chicago's exchanges.
Exchanges? There's one exchange in Chicago. One.

And it could disappear tomorrow, without any impact.
Quote:
Chicago is the most important city in the world for trading.
It is??

It has one market. And it's been killed in recent months. And other cities do the same thing, except they do many other things, too.

Chicago isn't even top 10. There are two important trading cities, and no, they aren't Chicago and Milwaukee. It's NYC and London.
Quote:
Everyone thinks New York because of stocks, but stocks mean **** compared to treasuries, currencies, and maybe even commodities. You don't know what you're talking about, no offense.
Umm, no, YOU don't know what you're talking about.

"Everyone thinks New York", because it's the financial capital of the planet, with London being a close second.

Chicago isn't even in the picture. It's small potatos, if even that.

Oh, and currency trading, in Chicago??

Treasuries??

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! You REALLY don't know what you're talking about.

Next you'll tell us Green Bay is the financial capital of the universe!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Chicago ranked as number one trading city (http://www.chicagolandchamber.org/news/newsarchive/Pages/Chicagorankedasnumberonetradingcity.aspx - broken link)

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/Portals/0/BestTradeCity08.pdf (broken link)

"Chicago boasts more than twice as much trading volume as New York and more trading volume than all European exchanges combined."

If the trading in Chicago doesn't have some effect on you, you are not on this planet.
Nice posting from the Chicago Chamber of Commerce. Sounds like an unbiased source to me!

Too bad you didn't read the links! They destroy your own argument!

You don't even understand what trading volume is. If you did, you would understand that it makes as much sense as a proxy for financial prowess as saying Lorton, VA has the most bytes of memory, and therefore is the tech capital of the world.

And the article is wrong anyways. The highest trading volume nowadays, adjusted for currency, is in China. It's a useless metric, but since you like useless metrics...

Ah, the jealousy of the fly-over middle...

Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've worked at the CME and the international economic importance it has is unrivaled by any other institution I can think of.
You forgot to finish the sentence. Add "...but I can't really think of more than one thing at once, so, um, yeah..."

And the CME is a virtual unknown. Try beefing up your resume by moving somewhere with a financial infastructure, kid.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Exchanges? There's one exchange in Chicago. One.

And it could disappear tomorrow, without any impact.

It is??

It has one market. And it's been killed in recent months. And other cities do the same thing, except they do many other things, too.

Chicago isn't even top 10. There are two important trading cities, and no, they aren't Chicago and Milwaukee. It's NYC and London.

Umm, no, YOU don't know what you're talking about.

"Everyone thinks New York", because it's the financial capital of the planet, with London being a close second.

Chicago isn't even in the picture. It's small potatos, if even that.

Oh, and currency trading, in Chicago??

Treasuries??

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! You REALLY don't know what you're talking about.

Next you'll tell us Green Bay is the financial capital of the universe!
I hope you're kidding. First off, the CME Group is combined with the CBOT. There is the CBOE and the Chicago Stock exchange as well. Also the Mid-AM. So there is not one exchange.

I may be misunderstanding you. Are you saying they don't trade treasuries and currencies in Chicago? If so, that is just downright wrong. I've worked in the treasury pit at the Chicago Board of Trade. It was the biggest pit in the ENTIRE WORLD. And currencies? You have pits for the Euro, Yen, Candian Dollar, Swiss Franc, and more at the CME.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Nice posting from the Chicago Chamber of Commerce. Sounds like an unbiased source to me!

Too bad you didn't read the links! They destroy your own argument!

You don't even understand what trading volume is. If you did, you would understand that it makes as much sense as a proxy for financial prowess as saying Lorton, VA has the most bytes of memory, and therefore is the tech capital of the world.

And the article is wrong anyways. The highest trading volume nowadays, adjusted for currency, is in China. It's a useless metric, but since you like useless metrics...

Ah, the jealousy of the fly-over middle...
I have a good understanding of trading volume as I've been trading for 7 years. And the article was from a magazine called Trader Monthly. The link I posted was just stating that the magazine ranked Chicago as #1 2 years in a row.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 PM

And the CME now owns NYMEX.

Energy Products Homepage (http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy-metals/index.html - broken link)

Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I think Chicago is the #3 city hands down although DC could give it a run for its money.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
All would probably agree that New York and LA are number one and two US cities but who is number three? Is it DC for its political imapct on the planet, Chicago or Houston for their business might, SF for culture or Boston for education?

Please vote and then support your opinion with comments and verifiable data.

Thanks,
Here is the list of U.S. cities in order of importance:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Washington, D.C.

5. Atlanta

6. Dallas

7. Miami

8, 9, 10, etc...Battle between: San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston...

Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Although it isn't directly related to the thread topic, here is a trailer for a movie about Chicago's trading:

YouTube - Floored: Standing in the Twilight of Open Outcry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.