Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,341 times

Advertisements

I would rather live in Pa..I just don't find Florida desirable for me.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
Florida by far, if not considering job options. PA doesn't have jobs in my field either so that is really not a concern for me between these two states. Cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh just don't want to admit they are declining and easily get very defensive, but they actually are. The Pittsburgh metro area is one of the few in the nation that has a population decline from 2000 to 2008, and the percentage of decline is larger than Detroit. Ironically lots of so called real cities on this forum are declining in metro population. People in Philadelphia need to realize that while history is good for tourism, people don't live their daily life by looking at history. Sometimes history equals grey, crappy, and unpleasant. Philadelphia is far less important now than it used to be in history. Florida is a pleasant state, with sunshine and beaches. You never know when this will stop but all the cities are currently rising. The beaches of Tampa and Clearwater are the best I've been to. White and Soft. Much better than the ones in California for my taste. The road conditions are superb. One of the best in the nation. Smooth road. Good lighting with reflectors everywhere. Never slippery. Driving is easy and comfortable. Everything looks newer and brighter, even the cars on the road and the grocery stores. Fabulous Shopping. People dress nicer. Living in such a place you just feel happy every day, provided that you have a stable income of course.
Many people go to Florida when they have a choice (Florida has lots of retired rich people. They have the most choices because they have both money and time). This is not the case for PA. (Most people go there for jobs and making a living). So to aspire for Florida is a more natural choice no matter how the reality turns out to be. Florida is one of those cool places that if you make it, it is one of the best in the world while PA is more of a compromise due to a lot of real life concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania but moved to Florida 20 years ago. I must say I prefer Pennsylvania mainly because it has more "diversity" geographically and the economy is not so dependant on continual large population increases(which is unsustainable). The accelerated population growth has led to a high crime rate and a loss of identity for the state. Overall I feel that the quality of life in Florida suffers because it has too many transplanted residents....including me....LOL....

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-06-2009 at 05:33 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
If you would read, the thread is PA vs FL. So why would FL be on his mind? He is just stating his arguments on this thread. I would never want to live in FL... It is so boring.... and the heat ugh... can't do it.
What parts of Florida have you visited?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Default Miss that you can always go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
There is alot more and exciting things to do up North, however we are missing the all important annual Weeki Wachee Swampfest.

Photo courtesy of Weeki Wachee Swamp Fest Home Page
The Naples Swamp Buggy Races.
Swamp Buggy Races, Naples Florida

Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
This debate is getting interesting....HISTORY/STABILITY.......OR..........MODERN/HIGH GROWTH......only thing for me is the fast growth leads to crime and instability.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I actually miss quite a bit about Pennsylvania. Even though many people there weren't quite the most cultured, tolerant, or progressive people that side of the Mason-Dixon Line I would still rather be with a group of them at a social gathering than a group of people from NoVA flatulating about classical music, a debate on Mercedes vs. Lexus, grey poupon vs. caviar, yada, yada, yada. There's something to be said about being down-to-earth. I appreciate that people in NoVA can also talk intelligently about politics, foreign affairs, the economy, etc., etc. and are generally more respectful of diifferent cultures/ideals/races (i.e. not as much gay-bashing here), but there is a definite aura of "prestige" here where you feel left out if you make sub-$50,000/year, as I do.
Surely you knew this prior to moving to Northern Virginia?? I see nothing wrong with discussing Mercedes vs Lexus vs Bentley vs Rolls Royce etc. There could be worse things to complain about.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Yes it can be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Surely you knew this prior to moving to Northern Virginia?? I see nothing wrong with discussing Mercedes vs Lexus vs Bentley vs Rolls Royce etc. There could be worse things to complain about.
all I ever hear is how great the weather is.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Maybe he thought "the grass looked greener on the other side of the fence".

Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,700 times
Wow...just came across this forum and I am suddenly very saddened.

My husband and I have lived in PA all our lives, never more then 20 minutes from the homes we grew up in. Recently, he was offerred a promotion to run his company's Miami office. We were initially very excited about this opportunity. It is definitely something new and exciting for us. Florida is definitely unlike anything we've experienced in PA. But, the more research I do online, the more worried I become about our upcoming move (happening in a month or so).

We'll be relocating to Pembroke Pines and believe we've found a nice community for us and our two young children. I know that the southern Florida school systems receive a lot of criticism, but we'll be living in Broward County, in an "A" district, so we're feeling positive about that.

Do no Floridians have anything positive to say about Florida? I mean, PA is nice and all, but the "4 season" thing is definitely over-rated. Spring and Fall and nearly non-existant anymore and you have to hibernate all winter =( I was so excited for this "new adventure" and now, after reading all of this, I have to say I'm incredibly worried.

Come on southern Floridians...give me something to look forward to! Please =)

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Default Go on the Florida Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos928 View Post
Wow...just came across this forum and I am suddenly very saddened.

My husband and I have lived in PA all our lives, never more then 20 minutes from the homes we grew up in. Recently, he was offerred a promotion to run his company's Miami office. We were initially very excited about this opportunity. It is definitely something new and exciting for us. Florida is definitely unlike anything we've experienced in PA. But, the more research I do online, the more worried I become about our upcoming move (happening in a month or so).

We'll be relocating to Pembroke Pines and believe we've found a nice community for us and our two young children. I know that the southern Florida school systems receive a lot of criticism, but we'll be living in Broward County, in an "A" district, so we're feeling positive about that.

Do no Floridians have anything positive to say about Florida? I mean, PA is nice and all, but the "4 season" thing is definitely over-rated. Spring and Fall and nearly non-existant anymore and you have to hibernate all winter =( I was so excited for this "new adventure" and now, after reading all of this, I have to say I'm incredibly worried.

Come on southern Floridians...give me something to look forward to! Please =)
You will find plenty of people on there who have found their paradise. I am a cold weather (New Yorker) so this place just is not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City