Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Actually, a lot of people in the northeast are retiring to PA, and also going there for a cheaper cost of living. I can't tell you how many people I know who moved to PA who couldn't afford Long Island anymore.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
I don't agree with that because Sarasota has beautiful beaches and the problem is for whatever reason narrow minded smokers somehow think there is an exception to littering that doesn't include cigarette butts. Ever been behind a car on the road and a cigarette butt comes flying at you. Areas where they allow smoking tend to be filthy and dirty and you can easily be effected outdoors, not to the level of a health risk, but it can annoy you.
As you mentioned SOME smokers can be rude and throw butts...I DON"T; plus when I smoke at beach I collect the butts into a soda container and deposit in the garbage. The enforcement of the littering laws was sufficient. Ever had a car speed up at you while you cross a street on foot???? Shall we ban cars,,,,getting hit with a car can be most annoying...and I got hit in Florida twice in one year, while riding a bicycle and left on thr road injured the one time. Sarasota is sand and sand the beaches have no shsde or trees except the Q-Tips we call palm trees(which are really a species of grass).... PEACE PS I go to north Lido Beach so I am at least a football field away from anyone the smoke may offend. Smoking is the number cause of global air pollution; not fossil fuel consumption....LOL...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I actually miss quite a bit about Pennsylvania. Even though many people there weren't quite the most cultured, tolerant, or progressive people that side of the Mason-Dixon Line I would still rather be with a group of them at a social gathering than a group of people from NoVA flatulating about classical music, a debate on Mercedes vs. Lexus, grey poupon vs. caviar, yada, yada, yada. There's something to be said about being down-to-earth. I appreciate that people in NoVA can also talk intelligently about politics, foreign affairs, the economy, etc., etc. and are generally more respectful of diifferent cultures/ideals/races (i.e. not as much gay-bashing here), but there is a definite aura of "prestige" here where you feel left out if you make sub-$50,000/year, as I do.
Heh. Welcome to the Washington DC metropolitan area. I know how you feel. Exactly why I got out of NOVA but MoCo and parts of DC aren't any better.

As for the poll. Once again, it's hard for me. I don't think Florida is as bad as people make it out to be. But I also like Philadelphia and I do believe it's starting to improve.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM

157 posts, read 398,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Actually, a lot of people in the northeast are retiring to PA, and also going there for a cheaper cost of living. I can't tell you how many people I know who moved to PA who couldn't afford Long Island anymore.
And a lot more people are heading out of Pennsylvania to locales such as Florida and Arizona for retirement. Far, far, far more people relocate from New York to Florida for retirement than from New York to Pennsylvania. If we're going to use anecdotal evidence, my neighborhood is full to the brim of relocated people from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, retirees and otherwise. You'll be quite hard-pressed to find a single neighborhood in Pennsylvania that is full to the brim of relocated Floridians, while in South Florida you're hard-pressed to not find a neighborhood with a significant presence of relocated Northeasterners.

People vote with their feet. If Pennsylvania were the wonderland that some people here make it out to be - with a great climate and a vibrant economy - that state would not be in a state of perennial stagnation. If Florida were the miserable Hell-on-Earth that some here claim it to be, it would not have increased its population six-fold in just 50 years.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 PM

Keep in mind that when the market improves more people will leave Florida, our family included, at least 10% of the house in our neighborhood are for sale with many more simply discouraged and waiting until the inventory of houses evens out with the demand. Many people move here to flip real estate but not to live here permanently as evidenced by the amount of empty houses...I am only speaking generally about my experience in Florida.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 AM

And the condominium market is far worse overall than the general house market...Thousands of condominiums slated to be built in Sarasota have been cancelled and the existing high rise condominium buildings are at least 10 to 25% empty and constantly flipping over...but with noone ACTUALLY moving into them as a primary residence.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Since population seems to be how you judge the popularity of someplace then the 5.5 million more people in Florida than Pennsylvania should tell you something.
You are leaving out the fact that Pennsylvania is alot smaller than Florida in land. Mr. Realtor, no matter how much you try to hide the condition of Florida, the truth is out and many already know what is happening in Florida.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You are leaving out the fact that Pennsylvania is alot smaller than Florida in land. Mr. Realtor, no matter how much you try to hide the condition of Florida, the truth is out and many already know what is happening in Florida.
Sorry but PA is only 16% smaller than Fla in land area but has 32% less population.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Sorry but PA is only 16% smaller than Fla in land area but has 32% less population.
So what? Its still smaller. Even my tiny state of NJ has more population density than Florida. Sorry Mr. Realtor, no one is buying.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:18 AM

258 posts, read 325,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
As you mentioned SOME smokers can be rude and throw butts...I DON"T; plus when I smoke at beach I collect the butts into a soda container and deposit in the garbage. The enforcement of the littering laws was sufficient. Ever had a car speed up at you while you cross a street on foot???? Shall we ban cars,,,,getting hit with a car can be most annoying...and I got hit in Florida twice in one year, while riding a bicycle and left on thr road injured the one time. Sarasota is sand and sand the beaches have no shsde or trees except the Q-Tips we call palm trees(which are really a species of grass).... PEACE PS I go to north Lido Beach so I am at least a football field away from anyone the smoke may offend. Smoking is the number cause of global air pollution; not fossil fuel consumption....LOL...
Clearly your more considerate than the average smoker but the reality is they litter all the time, just look down the next time you go to a place they allow smokers. I'm glad that your one of the ones that considers other people as you pursue your disgusting habit, unfortunately your in the minority. Getting even a whiff of those unwanted cancerous toxins ruins the typical non smokers day, can cause my hair to stink as bad as your breath, so please consider the other side. I don't think any law should be made to infringe anyones rights as long as that right doesn't effect others and second hand smoke does in huge ways. The law in Florida is backwards and should be abolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.