Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times

Advertisements

So are you trying to say that PA was not affected?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:26 PM

258 posts, read 325,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Florida hands down, having lived in both. Pennsylvania has no diversity, year-round winter weather, a rather significant redneck problem, and old, rusty, decaying cities that really did not appeal to me. I've never seen a state with infrastructure (bridges, roads, etc.) in worse condition. Not to even mention Pennsylvania's 18th Century alcohol control practices...
Good point on the alcohol practices, although I'd live in PA before Florida even if PA banned alcohol. They do need to abolish those stupid worthless laws, although equally stupid is Florida's smoking laws. Second had smoke kills people but in Florida apparently not at bars as the ban only applies to restaurants and not bars. Talk about a backwards stupid state.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Good point on the alcohol practices, although I'd live in PA before Florida even if PA banned alcohol. They do need to abolish those stupid worthless laws, although equally stupid is Florida's smoking laws. Second had smoke kills people but in Florida apparently not at bars as the ban only applies to restaurants and not bars. Talk about a backwards stupid state.
The real smart one is no smoking at the beaches in Sarasota......with the near constant sea breeze and the distance one can put between people....that second hand smoke must be horrendous.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Talking I corrected the last sentence for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Florida hands down, having lived in both. Pennsylvania has no diversity, year-round winter weather, a rather significant redneck problem, and old, rusty, decaying cities that really did not appeal to me. I've never seen THE state
Pennsylvania has no diversity and year-round winter weather, huh ????

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
You mean FL has the same laws for smoking in bars as PA yet it is only stupid in FL.

Explain that one to me if you would.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 PM

157 posts, read 398,098 times
Please. It was about 60 degrees in Pittsburgh a few days ago in the middle of summer. To Pennsylvanians and people in the Northeast, that's a normal thing. Not to me. Neither is getting measurable snow in April. Some people like those things - but given Pennsylvania's stagnant growth, they're apparently quite outnumbered.

Where exactly is the diversity in Pennsylvania? I will cede that there are lots of different types of white people - but that's hardly what I consider "diverse." The state has a Black population that is several points below the national average and a Hispanic population of barely 4%. Outside of the big cities, I could practically integrate many Pennsylvania counties just by passing through!

Empty suburbs?? Apparently we're talking about two different Florida's. Even hard-hit South Florida and Southwest Florida are still gaining population. On the other hand, most Pennsylvania cities of any size have been steadily losing people for the better part of 50 years. 50 years of population decline is damning evidence that speaks volumes about how undesirable much of the state is for reasons spanning economics, climate, and livability. In short, people vote with their feet, and I was one of them when I left the state!

Last edited by Jammie; 07-03-2009 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: quote removed from post because it was deleted

Old 07-03-2009, 09:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Oh yeah, 60 degrees is typical winter weather in most of the US...lol.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times
Although I love Philly and Pittsburgh, Eastern U.S. mountains don't impress me (I live in NC and we have them too). Besides, the ocean is more impressive than any mountain peak, so I'm going with Florida.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 PM

157 posts, read 398,098 times
And let's not forget how Pittsburgh was once fondly referred to as "Hell with the lid off." Philadelphia has done a great job in earning its nickname of "Killadelphia." Scranton is the butt of endless jokes. Erie is practically a metonym for Rust Belt decay and decline.

So yea...my preference of Florida might seem strange to some of you, but judging by the veritable hordes of people who have fled like bats out of hell from Pennsylvania over the last decades, I'm far from alone.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:59 PM

258 posts, read 325,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The real smart one is no smoking at the beaches in Sarasota......with the near constant sea breeze and the distance one can put between people....that second hand smoke must be horrendous.
I don't agree with that because Sarasota has beautiful beaches and the problem is for whatever reason narrow minded smokers somehow think there is an exception to littering that doesn't include cigarette butts. Ever been behind a car on the road and a cigarette butt comes flying at you. Areas where they allow smoking tend to be filthy and dirty and you can easily be effected outdoors, not to the level of a health risk, but it can annoy you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City