Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Exactly. Otherwise, you would have to cloak your envy and desperation in statements like culture and identity only exist outside the South and that anyone that moves here must be some lowbrow that only cares about cheap housing and the familiarity of big box retailers.
Envy? Not even close. Notice that I said SOME. SOME implies that not everybody moves for that reason. Note that I also did not say the south, but the SUNBELT. Sunbelt does not equal the south. There are plenty of cultured cities with identity in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
me me me I have!

And I will never go back down south.
Ever.
I will never ever ever ever ever go back up North to live

Ever ever ever

(see I can be a little kid too sometimes )

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
I will never ever ever ever ever go back up North to live

Ever ever ever

(see I can be a little kid too sometimes )
good for you. I was trying to act like a kid, just being honest about how I hated the south for all 13 years I stayed there. I was glad to escape.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
good for you. I was trying to act like a kid, just being honest about how I hated the south for all 13 years I stayed there. I was glad to escape.
Love it down here... you could not give me a free house and a million dollars to live up North again

...just being completely and totally honest

Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
I find nothing appealing about sun, year round summer, or any activities associated with it. My preference. I think most people move to the Sunbelt for the weather.

I vote for the Rust Belt.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Is this tread really about the sunbelt or just one half of it? OP, don't assume that all of us down here are Confederate flag waving Whites who wish it was 1863, 1900, or 1940. That's stupid, there are millions of Southerners who could care less about the ways of the Old South (it's been said on here a million times but it falls on dead minds). It's funny how some none Southerners on this site act as if they are so refined but is just as crude and warped minded as the biggest hick in the South (share a beer with each other because you both have diseased minds). Some of you Northerners need to follow the lead of LINative, Irfox, Newarkbomb, Ogre, TheWereRabbit, Ckhthankgod, and even ajf131 (can't name anymore), because they really don't live up to the city-data poster requirement of high-level nescience. To the OP from Dayton, you do have to know that everything that the rustbelt has been through the Sunbelt will go through at some point. The Rustbelt doesn't have the recent hateful history against certain groups like the South...oops, I meant "Sunbelt" but look furthur back at the Rustbelt's history and you'll know that it was a land of opportunity just like my area is today, look back some more and you'll know that people who weren't White were hated. I'm Black and I think all this high-level regional pride is a little stupid because it's it makes a person refuse acknowledge anything good in another region, but that's your right. I'm confident that the Sunbelt will be forced to change some things because of all this growth if they want to stay in the limelight (I'm rooting for it).

Last edited by David Alleyne; 07-06-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Explained below in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Okay, I'll be the first to admit Dayton isn't in good shape right now (or has been this decade...), but what I don't get is why is the sunbelt any better?

Why do people flock to hideous sprawl in a land with extreme humidity, or even in the middle of a desert? Because these areas lack extreme winters and snow shoveling. You can have outdoor recreation most of the year. In summer heat you wear fewer clothes, apply sunscreen and drink lots of water. I'm with you on the desert comment as far as my personal preference, but most of the Sunbelt is not desert.

How can they really be that much more business-friendly or livable when our policies are in line with those of the vibrant northeast? Apparently they are, and the reasons might be complex. I'm sure you could do your own research on this.

Why has the rust belt had such a huge exodus over the past 40 years (excluding the whole auto and steel thing....)? Again, reasons are probably complex and you can do research on it.

What are you doing in the sunbelt that makes you more attractive to the average citizen than the rustbelt or other similar regions? Weather, cost of living, job opportunities, quality of life. Additionally, this part of the country is not as backward and culture-deprived as many believe, especially with the largest cities.

I don't get it, and why I am so mean to y'all is because I want to understand. For me, I see my "blighted" warehouse as a place with potential, and the decaying house on the corner as a place that would look amazing with a little elbow grease. I also see the people in the rust belt as some of the hardest working members of society, and as people who deserve better. However, I see a farm field as a farm field. Not as a Super-Walmart or a golf course community. And when it does change to one of those, I don't view that in a positive light. Still, I want to know why you sunbelt-lovers do see sprawl as a good thing, and why you would rather live in it than say, a well-established wealthy urban neighborhood, a historic district, or even a farm. Why you would rather fight traffic than take public transportation or move to a less-congested area, or live in a region that has a long history of racism, discrimination, and hate crimes. Most people can't afford the "well-established wealthy urban neighborhood." It's wealthy for a reason. Farms are not very practical... you'd have to drive miles and miles to find anything. Suburbs are popular for families because they offer more affordable housing and everyday amenities such as grocery shopping, restaurants, and of course schools within the community. Sometimes even employment. It's convenient and affordable for many. And who cares about the "history of racism" or what not; what matters more is how it is present-day.

So, the simple question is why?I do not wish to attack you on your decision, I simply do not understand it. Please explain.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll be the first to admit Dayton isn't in good shape right now (or has been this decade...), but what I don't get is why is the sunbelt any better?

Why do people flock to hideous sprawl in a land with extreme humidity, or even in the middle of a desert?
Sprawl happens for a reason. Most people in the United States want to have a car and big yard. I'm (relatively) young so I'm all about living in the big city, riding public transit, being "in the middle of it all", etc. Will I feel the same way when I've got a wife and kids? Maybe, maybe not. But you need to understand that many people want this.

Quote:
How can they really be that much more business-friendly or livable when our policies are in line with those of the vibrant northeast?
The sun belt offers cheap cost of living, beautiful weather, and new development. They also often have lower taxes than the Rust Belt and Northeast. That makes it much more attractive for people and businesses. The Rustbelt may have many of the same policies as the Northeast, but it doesn't have as much to offer. The Northeast is bigger and more powerful than the Rust Belt...it always has been and always will be. Just because a certain policy works for one area, doesn't mean it will work for another.

Quote:
Why has the rust belt had such a huge exodus over the past 40 years (excluding the whole auto and steel thing....)?
It's tough to ask that question and then say "excluding the whole auto and steel thing". Those were the two main industries in the Rust Belt. They've moved to greener pastures. Detroit never diversified its economy. It had a golden goose in its city, but never thought it would stop laying eggs. As they say, you snooze, you lose. Why would companies want to move to the Rust Belt when it's main industries fled the region?

Quote:
For me, I see my "blighted" warehouse as a place with potential, and the decaying house on the corner as a place that would look amazing with a little elbow grease.
You may see that, but others probably don't. There's nothing wrong with loving your region and doing all you can to make things better. However, what incentive is there for someone to come in and revive an area that is lacking in demand? Some people enjoy the rustic charm of an older building, but others want to have a brand-new giant McMansion that costs the same, but won't have to be repaired every few months.

Quote:
I also see the people in the rust belt as some of the hardest working members of society, and as people who deserve better.
That may be true, but life isn't fair.

Quote:
Still, I want to know why you sunbelt-lovers do see sprawl as a good thing, and why you would rather live in it than say, a well-established wealthy urban neighborhood, a historic district, or even a farm.
It's much cheaper to live in the suburbs than a well-established wealthy urban neighborhood or historic district. You can enjoy a great deal of amentities too, which in many cases you wouldn't be able to enjoy as easily if you lived on a farm.

Quote:
Why you would rather fight traffic than take public transportation or move to a less-congested area, or live in a region that has a long history of racism, discrimination, and hate crimes.
Racism, discrimination and hate crimes happen almost everywhere. The Civil Rights movement was 60 years ago now. Are there racist people in the South? Sure. Is everyone in the South a racist? No way. I suppose people will always believe stereotypes until they see the real thing with their own eyes.

Everyone in Chicago will always be a fat, beer-swilling mess eating a bratwurst. Everyone in Boston will be an angry drunk who will smash a bottle over your head for looking at him the wrong way. Everyone in Alabama will be in the Klan. Everyone in Texas is a cowboy. Los Angeles, metrosexual guy with a purse (it's a European carry-on!). San Francisco is all stoner-hippies. Blah, blah, etc, etc.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
I really don't understand how y'all can use "culture" as an excuse for living there, because the north is far more "cultured" than the south, and most all of the little bit of culture the south has is based on either slavery, racism, or supression/discrimination/intolerance against minorities. But still, the south wins, and I don't see why.
I have to admit I've never lived in a small town or rural area in the south/sunbelt. But I find the larger cities such as Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and others to be full of culture. And wonderful museums. And great restaurants. And many things unique. And none of this is based on slavery or racism. WTH?

I loved my time living in Houston. It has the country's 2nd largest theatre district after NYC, top-notch museums that attract many exhibits from overseas, a top ten ranked restaurant scene, two Chinatowns, and the largest medical district in the world. And Rice University is no podunk college. I wish I could afford to live in one of the more desirable inner city neighborhoods, but I'll make due for now in one of the nicest suburbs I've ever seen -- Sugar Land even houses many corporations and companies, so many people who live here only have a 5-10 minute commute to work.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM

159 posts, read 511,580 times
Quote:

I really don't understand how y'all can use "culture" as an excuse for living there, because the north is far more "cultured" than the south, and most all of the little bit of culture the south has is based on either slavery, racism, or supression/discrimination/intolerance against minorities. But still, the south wins, and I don't see why.

1. The Souths culture isn't about racism? i don't understand why you think that.

2. Why do you keep talking about the south? Theres more to the Sunbelt than the South anyways, like the Southwest. It's culture is more Native American/Mexican/Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City