Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Everything! who wouldn't like the sunny utopias of the Sunbelt
I like temps under 70 degrees, clouds, rain, and SNOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's just our turn now.
More truth than fiction to your statement. Back at the turn of the last century, and continuing on for quite some time, there was a large migration to the North from the South and Sunbelt areas. Now the tide has reversed and the migration is headed your way. People go where they think they can make a better life for themselves generally. Right now, that is perceived as being in the Sunbelt.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Great posts, y'all. This is shaping up to be a great discussion.

Anyways, UrbanCharlotte- Trust me, I know pleanty about the west side. I work there. Its struggle is a lot of the reason why I became an urban activist.

Yes, I am very aware about the strong Klan presence we had up here. I am also aware of the fact that many northerners were not accepting of the African-American migration to the northern cities and factories, and also the "white flight" from the cities that ensued, thus being the earliest version of "sprawl".

Also, we have other Fotune 500 companies within our metro area, but yes, NCR was the only one we had within our city borders. It was also one of our area's weakest companies, spinning off half of its Dayton workforce into another company together (and supposedly it was its "profitable division", according to our local papers). It is also basically lost its ATM manufacturing market to nore viable competitors, and is also losing its cash register market to stronger companies such as IBM, as well. Considering the fact they reduced their workforce by 93% in our city over the past 30 years BEFORE they left also says a lot about the corporations' receding importance. However, it is still a painful blow, mainly figuratively, since the company did so much to build our city into what it is today.

About the university comment.....I'd say we'll call it even. 'Cause we got Michigan, Wisconsin-Madison, UIUC, OSU, Purdue, IU, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Oberlin, Kenyon, Miami, Case Western, Wash U in St. Louis, UM-Twin Cities, Carleton, Macalaster, Grinell..... do you want me to keep going?

Anyways, a lot of the reason why I launched this post was not because of you southerners out there, it was because of my family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. that live up here in the rust belt. We really are tired of getting kicked in the head, and yes, Bill Nuti's attitude (the CEO of NCR who refused to move to Dayton from NY, citing "family illness", and later moved on to spinning off half NCR's Dayton workforce, along with almost all of its board members and pro-Dayton workers, off to another company. He later moved the "Headquarters" to NYC, where he was from, and soon after that moved the rest of the operation to Georgia after a backroom deal with their legislators that Ohio was unable to compete with. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened) about Dayton, along with others like him who have done this to countless other rust-belt cities, is uncomprehendable for me. Are we really that bad? And if so, what makes the south so much better? Is it the conservative atmosphere that executives seem to live by and love? Or is it the weather? Maybe the golf courses or the cheap land? Anyways, I am on a mission to find out, and you guys have been helping tremendously, because you're obviously winning this economic battle with tremendous flair, and have overcome many flaws I mentioned earlier that make your region in general a turn-off. It is just hard to see why after being so settled in to my ways.
No, I would live in the rust belt before I would live in the NorthLEAST

Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Anyways, a lot of the reason why I launched this post was not because of you southerners out there, it was because of my family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. that live up here in the rust belt. We really are tired of getting kicked in the head, .....
When your region has been, "kicked in the head" for over 100 years, then you can be tired of it.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
When your region has been, "kicked in the head" for over 100 years, then you can be tired of it.
Well, you can't say that it never did anything to deserve it...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Some people don't care about culture and identity and like the familiarity of chain stores and cheap housing of many sunbelt areas. Different strokes for different folks.
I'm one of the people who could care less about culture and cultural events. I also like chain stores. When I'm out on road trips, I always tend to stop at chain stores to eat. I like the familiarity and the consistency in the food. When it comes to food, I don't like surprises. I stick with the old, reliable and familiar. But, I'm not a sunbelt person. I can mostly identify with the rural great plains and midwest.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Well, you can't say that it never did anything to deserve it...
yes but now it is time to get over it. As much as the North wants to South to get over the Civil War and I agree with that, it's time for the North to get over the South reinventing itself. This is not the same South of the 1950s. It much resembles your region now.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Are we really that bad? And if so, what makes the south so much better? Is it the conservative atmosphere that executives seem to live by and love? Or is it the weather? Maybe the golf courses or the cheap land? Anyways, I am on a mission to find out, and you guys have been helping tremendously, because you're obviously winning this economic battle with tremendous flair, and have overcome many flaws I mentioned earlier that make your region in general a turn-off. It is just hard to see why after being so settled in to my ways.
In particular with Dayton, part of what you’re missing is that Dayton is a small place. It doesn’t have some of the flash you’d associate with larger cities; things that appeal to young professionals. I think the bigger issue for Dayton is not what does Sunbelt cities have that Dayton doesn’t. The larger issue is how Dayton can make its self more attractive to a young person graduating from college, more so than say, Atlanta or Dallas or Houston; or even Chicago or Cincinnati for that matter.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
From my experience the sunbelt isn't bad. I'll be able to run, and the people I met are very nice and "sunny". But the summers are too hot for me to want to live there the rest of my life. I hope I can end up back in the midwest.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
What's strange for us Europeans in this debate Sunbelt/Rustbelt, is that your "Rustbelt" is actually at the same latitudes as our own "sunbelts" (between 38° North Latitude and 44° North Latitude) so we can't help thinking your climate in the Center-North of the US can't be that bad (although sure lots of people here testify to the contrary!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City