Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
me me me I have!

And I will never go back down south.
Ever.
Me too! I won't go back down to live, but will gladly make the trip to visit dear friends who are still in touch after all these years. I just make those trips in the early Spring or late Fall; Southern summers kill me and it doesn't matter if it is Vegas, Dallas, Phoenix, Biloxi, Pensacola, or Raleigh; it's all too darn hot for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM

159 posts, read 511,391 times
I love the sunbelt for many reasons:

1. The weather Where i live, at least. It's not even close to humid.

2. Culture

3. Affordability

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a horrible place.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
me me me I have!

Ever.
You are part of a very small minority.

Most leave the north and midwest and never look back.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
me me me I have!

Ever.
Same here.

I don't truly care what most people are doing. Most people have terrible taste at any rate.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:55 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I got to see firsthand what living in an "old historic walkable" neighborhood was like. It did not appeal to me. I do not enjoy being crammed into public transportation with strangers, limited in route choices by the decisions some bureaucrat makes. Having a car is, in my opinion, a key aspect of the American experience, and it is liberating. Why in the living hell would I want to live like people did in 1800's before the advent of modern transportation? That is what this whole "walkability" mantra sounds like to me - it makes life unnecessarily difficult.

Because people like me left for greener pastures elsewhere. I have no agenda - I went where the opportunities were, where life seemed better and more livable. I could really give a damn if a city is "rich in history" - if I don't enjoy living there, the average age of the buildings or the number of museums per capita is of no concern to me.

I also don't consider "sprawl" to be a four-letter word like some. What urban elitists see as "sprawl", I see as a plethora of shopping and recreational opportunities in easy reach, coupled with highly affordable, yet high-quality and new homes. Easy choice, in my opinion.
loillan, I can whole-heartedly agree with these statements of yours.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Very intereseting, y'all. Some great stuff floating around here. Anyways, I see three major reasons why you all love sunbelt living:

1. Affordability

2. Frustration with northern cities

3. Giltziness/weather/fashionable place to live/etc.

So, it looks like that the north needs to streamline city/state government to win over many southerners, because we are aleady more affordable than the south, and we also need to do a better job advertizing ourselves to win the "that's hot" factor the south currently has. I really don't understand how y'all can use "culture" as an excuse for living there, because the north is far more "cultured" than the south, and most all of the little bit of culture the south has is based on either slavery, racism, or supression/discrimination/intolerance against minorities. But still, the south wins, and I don't see why.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Very intereseting, y'all. Some great stuff floating around here. Anyways, I see three major reasons why you all love sunbelt living:

1. Affordability

2. Frustration with northern cities

3. Giltziness/weather/fashionable place to live/etc.

So, it looks like that the north needs to streamline city/state government to win over many southerners, because we are aleady more affordable than the south, and we also need to do a better job advertizing ourselves to win the "that's hot" factor the south currently has. I really don't understand how y'all can use "culture" as an excuse for living there, because the north is far more "cultured" than the south, and most all of the little bit of culture the south has is based on either slavery, racism, or supression/discrimination/intolerance against minorities. But still, the south wins, and I don't see why.
And you likely never will with your preconceived notions about our culture and what people want from where they choose to live. Your assertions here I find ridiculous.
The Upper Midwest is already more affordable than the South? Says who?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Some people don't care about culture and identity and like the familiarity of chain stores and cheap housing of many sunbelt areas. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Personally, I see almost nothing good about this region. Why do you all that defend it do so?
the sun.

In all seriousness, though, if I were the sort of person to say, "I see nothing good about the rust belt", I would be forced to acknowledge that the problem was actually with me, not with the rust belt.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
the sun.

In all seriousness, though, if I were the sort of person to say, "I see nothing good about the rust belt", I would be forced to acknowledge that the problem was actually with me, not with the rust belt.
Exactly. Otherwise, you would have to cloak your envy and desperation in statements like culture and identity only exist outside the South and that anyone that moves here must be some lowbrow that only cares about cheap housing and the familiarity of big box retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City