Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Texas cities 120 59.70%
Florida cities 81 40.30%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I live in Riverside Terrace and Houses in this area go from 200k to over a million.

Lots are huge here. Most are over 6K square feet and I have seen a couple of houses that are over 10k sq feet.

It is sandwich between two not so nice neighborhoods though

So I guess it's kind of like Miami because some areas you look at seem nice but are really in areas that are not so nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
I am from the Caribbean, and Miami does have a larger Caribbean presence than Houston, but Houston is no slouch in that department either. Huge eastern Caribbean pop (including lots of Trinis) here, also lots of Haitian and Jamaicans.

We also have the bigger Nigerian population, and big Ethiopian and Congolese population.

I would say about a 3rd of Houston's blacks are 1st or 2nd gen foreign black
So true plus Texas has a large population of Asians.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
My uncle just moved to Orlando. His family are eastern caribbean islanders slightly mixed with Panamanian
Well I'm sure he can tell you about the fellow citizens of caribbean descent there. Does he like it so far?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
So true plus Texas has a large population of Asians.
Now that is one thing I can't disagree with about the Asian population in Texas being way more than that of Florida

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So I guess it's kind of like Miami because some areas you look at seem nice but are really in areas that are not so nice
the area is nice, it is just really close to a not so nice area.

There are many examples of this in Houston.
You cross the street in some areas and you are in a whole new world

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Well I'm sure he can tell you about the fellow citizens of caribbean descent there. Does he like it so far?
He doesn't have to tell me. I am familiar with Orlando. It is the 1st US city I visited (Disney as a kid). His son has been living there for 10 years, so I visit all the time.

Houston has a much larger Caribbean population than Orlando, but Miami has more than Houston

Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
the area is nice, it is just really close to a not so nice area.

There are many examples of this in Houston.
You cross the street in some areas and you are in a whole new world
That's a similarity that Texas and Florida cities have from my experience living mostly in Florida and hearing this about Texas from you. The way I know this is because I delivered pizza in the tourist area of Orlando and met lots of tourists and they all would say how nice Orlando was and how safe it all seemed...Well to me it is nice but then I moved up to Nashville about 9 months ago and some guy said, "They have projects in Orlando?, because I went there and it seemed nice" I had to explain how close the guy was from some areas that weren't that nice but he didn't even know it

Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
That's a similarity that Texas and Florida cities have from my experience living mostly in Florida and hearing this about Texas from you. The way I know this is because I delivered pizza in the tourist area of Orlando and met lots of tourists and they all would say how nice Orlando was and how safe it all seemed...Well to me it is nice but then I moved up to Nashville about 9 months ago and some guy said, "They have projects in Orlando?, because I went there and it seemed nice" I had to explain how close the guy was from some areas that weren't that nice but he didn't even know it
I'm live in San Antonio currently (Htown doesn't like S.A. haha), but I have a lot of close friends from Cleveland that live here as well and when people talk about the ghettos in this town, the transplants are like "No way! There are no ghettos here!" I guess they've never been to the south and east side. Plus when I go visit relatives they say things like "Are there gangs there? There are hoods?" Which is strange because on the internet I get the opposite reaction.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
World class theme parks? Maybe Sea World San Antonio. That's it.
S.A. metro has Shlitterbahn in New Braunfels. Six Flags Fiesta Texas is a major theme park why wouldn't it be considered world class? Then there is Morgans Wonderland, the first theme park for people with special needs in the world.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
I tend to agree with the majority on this topic. I have been in Florida several times and Texas once but the growth and influence of Texas can not be denied. There really isn't any city in Florida that can compare to the prosperity of Houston\ Dallas\ San Antonio and maybe Austin. Miami is, of-course the most interesting city in my opinion but Tampa\ Orlando and Jacksonville are less influential than the 3 or 4 major cities in Texas. Florida is mainly a tourist state. Texas is a commercial state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City