Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times

Advertisements

A common misconception about Portland, Oregon:

It rains here all year.

While in fact, the truth is:

It only rains constantly here from October to May, the period of June during the Rose Festival, most of September,
the third week in August..and occasionally in July. Seriously..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
I realize most of you could care less about a city called Lubbock, but I'm going to share some of its misconceptions anyway.

Lubbock is in the middle of a desert wasteland - not true. The city receives on average 20 inches of rain. Granted, this is not much compared to the East Coast, but it's more than cities like Denver and Los Angeles and comparable to San Francisco. Lubbock is surrounded by prairie farmland, and the city is green.

Lubbock is an oil town - not true. There is no oil industry in the city. Its main industries are healthcare, higher education and agriculture.

Lubbock is ugly - you guessed it, not true. The surrounding scenery is not the greatest, but the city is green and nicely landscaped. It's not the most beautiful city, but it is very clean and nice-looking. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Here are some pictures of the surrounding landscape:

Here's what Lubbock looks like:

We have sunsets like these very often

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-02-2009 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM

87 posts, read 186,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Yes I can read, but I don't buy that. In the end what people remember from reading such polls is still the stereotype not the defending statements, especially from the original post. It is just a psychological thing. Lots of media manipulates people's mind that way. Clever trick, but doesn't do for me.

agreed.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
I can't even begin to speak for Cleveland... So far today from these boards, I've read Cleveland is flat, has a lot of amish, and the downtown is really ghetto I laughed pretty hard.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Doesn't Tulsa have the most art deco buildings in the world or something along those lines? Or am I confusing it with
OKC?
You are correct, or close to being correct. It's definitely up there in the top three in the country along with Miami and LA, but France and other countries are literal havens for art deco that makes anything in the US pale in comparison. Tulsa was the site of some kind of art deco conference this year.

Here is an article from Preservation Magazine on Tulsa's art deco.

Tulsa's Deco Gems

Here are a few pics of some art deco in Tulsa...

The Boston Avenue Methodist Church.
http://www.downtownlive.org/images/businesses/BostonAve1.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Boston_Avenue_Methodist_Church.jpg (broken link)

And then there are the Philtower and Mid-continent towers (left to right).

ONG Building.

Last edited by Synopsis; 08-02-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
You know I like art deco, but somehow art deco on a church looks/feels a bit odd to me. I guess I associate Art deco with things that I don't associated with churches. I'm not sure if this expresses it right, but I think of art-deco as like sleek, cool, urbane, and exciting. I'm not sure "cool, exciting, and urbane" is the kind of feelings I'd think of, or want, a church to inspire. "Shrug"

That said just taking it in as a building I like the look.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
^WOW! Absolutely stunning pics of Tulsa, Synopsis! Talk about some true gems.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Thanks johnatl. Those are just a sample. If you ever visit Tulsa, they give tours. The interiors of these buildings are as stunning as the outside.

Thomas, I "kind of" get your point, but if you've ever been to Europe many churches over there are built around the same premise.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
That Los Angeles is 100% Mexican

L.A. County demographics

48.71% White[10] 11.0% African American, 0.81% Native American, 10.0% Asian, 0.28% Pacific Islander, 23.53% from other races, and 4.94% from two or more races. 44.56% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. The largest ancestry groups are German (6%), Irish (5%), English (4%) and Italian (3%). 45.87% of the population reported speaking English at home; 37.89% speak Spanish, 2.22% Tagalog, 1.98% Chinese, 1.87% Korean, and 1.57% Armenian.
Not just the misconception of it being all Mexican but also the misconception of it being all gay, all gang bangers, or all gay gang bangers

Old 08-02-2009, 05:42 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You are correct, or close to being correct. It's definitely up there in the top three in the country along with Miami and LA, but France and other countries are literal havens for art deco that makes anything in the US pale in comparison. Tulsa was the site of some kind of art deco conference this year.

Here is an article from Preservation Magazine on Tulsa's art deco.

Tulsa's Deco Gems

Here are a few pics of some art deco in Tulsa...

The Boston Avenue Methodist Church.

And then there are the Philtower and Mid-continent towers (left to right).

ONG Building.
Awesome pictures. I really love Art Deco, it has a very glamorous quality about it. The 3rd picture you posted is definitely my favorite. Even more amazing considering that it's a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City