Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sarcasm or not, this is pretty funny.
Sorry, but I've only ever visited a farm once in my entire life and it was in elementary school for a field trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but I've only ever visited a farm once in my entire life and it was in elementary school for a field trip.
LOL......well, come on down to Texas anytime and we'll tour a ranch and point out the subtle differences between it and a farm. (Just so long as it's not George W's "ranch" which is not actually a ranch at all!)

Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sarcasm or not, this is pretty funny.
Haha I'm the same way. I get easily confused. I've lived most of my life in Cleveland and Wash DC. The closest thing I've been to that is considered a farm was a place that made maple syrup, pretty cool though.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
That's the good thing about growing up in a mid-sized city like Lubbock; you can relate to and feel comfortable in both urban and rural settings.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Most (many) of you have heard of Reading, PA. Most of you therefore know it from/as, a.) a space in the Monopoly game, b.) a AA baseball team, c.) a crime-infested, bygone industrial craphole. I would venture most answers would tend to "c.)"

But what you don't know...

I recently visited Reading (family) and was moved by how absolutely, positively, demonstratively, astoundingly, righteously, outrageously, physologically (I made up this word), abominably beautiful the architecture and landscape is. Yes, center city is rundown and has a lot of crime and some overpopulation, but when this city turns around (25 years? 50? Never?), it has the potential to be an absolute gem. It has the housing stock (rowhouses, mansions, rowhouse mansions), workforce, location (proximity to major met. centers of East Coast), history, culture (PA Dutch, near Philadelphia), infrastructure (highways, railroads) landscape (rolling hills, river). Woh.

Pagoda town.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Most (many) of you have heard of Reading, PA. Most of you therefore know it from/as, a.) a space in the Monopoly game, b.) a AA baseball team, c.) a crime-infested, bygone industrial craphole. I would venture most answers would tend to "c.)"

But what you don't know...

I recently visited Reading (family) and was moved by how absolutely, positively, demonstratively, astoundingly, righteously, outrageously, physologically (I made up this word), abominably beautiful the architecture and landscape is. Yes, center city is rundown and has a lot of crime and some overpopulation, but when this city turns around (25 years? 50? Never?), it has the potential to be an absolute gem. It has the housing stock (rowhouses, mansions, rowhouse mansions), workforce, location (proximity to major met. centers of East Coast), history, culture (PA Dutch, near Philadelphia), infrastructure (highways, railroads) landscape (rolling hills, river). Woh.

Pagoda town.
I never knew Reading, PA was crime infested, we used to be there all the time. Parts do look very unattractive and industrial but you are absolutely right that it does have many beautiful parts.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I realize most of you could care less about a city called Lubbock, but I'm going to share some of its misconceptions anyway.

Lubbock is in the middle of a desert wasteland - not true. The city receives on average 20 inches of rain. Granted, this is not much compared to the East Coast, but it's more than cities like Denver and Los Angeles and comparable to San Francisco. Lubbock is surrounded by prairie farmland, and the city is green.

Lubbock is an oil town - not true. There is no oil industry in the city. Its main industries are healthcare, higher education and agriculture.

Lubbock is ugly - you guessed it, not true. The surrounding scenery is not the greatest, but the city is green and nicely landscaped. It's not the most beautiful city, but it is very clean and nice-looking. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Here are some pictures of the surrounding landscape:

Here's what Lubbock looks like:

We have sunsets like these very often
Wow, never been to Lubbock, but didn't know it looked so nice. Now I can see why it is growing.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
That's the good thing about growing up in a mid-sized city like Lubbock; you can relate to and feel comfortable in both urban and rural settings.
Lubbock is a nice city. I could relocate to Lubbock and be very happy. The climate there is quite nice. They have low humidity in the summer, although it can get hot. Visit Lubbock sometime I think you might enjoy it.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Misconception- Newark is not a crime filled wasteland.

It has some amazing history, it offers so many jobs, and it's making a great stride from being #1's most dangerous city in America to improving itself ranking in the 20s in a matter of 10 years. Cities like Detroit, Camden and St Louis have been sitting near 1st place for those ten years and still are.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Miami misconception: You can't get by if you don't speak Spanish
Miami truth: It's helpful to speak Spanish but not required. I only speak English and have lived here for 8 years without a problem. Most people in Miami are bi or tri-lingual.
Miami Beach misconception: South Beach is a gay neighborhood.
Miami Beach truth: While South Beach has a strong gay representation, it's far from what some people expect. That said, South Beach mixes Gays, Straights, Orthodox Jews, Europeans, Latin Americans, North Americans, Caribbean's, young, old, models, artists, locals and tourists, etc. in a tiny footprint like no place I have ever been in the USA. It's a very inclusive environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City