Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
When I moved to Houston from Seattle after graduating from college in the summer of 1977 I was absolutely miserable and ready to leave after a year.
I still don't care much for Houston...
1977? Whoa.
From what I've seen, Houston's had a pretty dramatic change (for the better) just in the last 5-8 years. Heck, the big new downtown park just opened a year or two ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Seattle only averages 58 sunny days per year. That's just not enough for me, which is what my larger point was in the first place.
A few of my Texas friends who moved to Seattle have had a really hard time with that. But at least it keeps everything nice and green, which I'd prefer over, say, a desert.
That's one reason I like Houston so much; we get a large amount of rainfall (to keep everything nice, green and lush) but it all comes in large amounts at once... so we have lots of sunny days too.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
1977? Whoa.
From what I've seen, Houston's had a pretty dramatic change (for the better) just in the last 5-8 years. Heck, the big new downtown park just opened a year or two ago.

A few of my Texas friends who moved to Seattle have had a really hard time with that. But at least it keeps everything nice and green, which I'd prefer over, say, a desert.
That's one reason I like Houston so much; we get a large amount of rainfall (to keep everything nice, green and lush) but it all comes in large amounts at once... so we have lots of sunny days too.
Personally I find Houston to be too hot and humid for much of the year for my taste...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Why is it that most of the Seattle pictures, show people being on a boat or sitting near the beach but not actually IN THE WATER. Is there a problem with ocean water???
The water in the Pacific is much colder than that in the Atlantic or Gulf. The currents bring cold waters down from Alaska where as on the East Coast and Gulf the Gulf Stream brings warm waters up from the tropics.

Quote:
Same goes for Atlanta. Plenty of rain to keep things green but if comes in big rain falls so there are still lots of sunny days.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Why is it that most of the Seattle pictures, show people being on a boat or sitting near the beach but not actually IN THE WATER. Is there a problem with ocean water???

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
I love the night time views of Atlanta's skylines. Here's a video that shows well all three of Atlanta's skylines starting with Buckhead, Midtown, then Downtown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJs3jxBXwQg

Last edited by Galounger; 08-12-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
Between Atlanta and Houston. Seattle is just a rainy, depressing city. I like to be able to see the sun and blue sky.
Ignorant post, doesn't help the southerner stereotype.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 PM

119 posts, read 298,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Ignorant post, doesn't help the southerner stereotype.
Haha sure dude. Enjoy those overcast, miserable days. I'll enjoy the sun down here.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,669,443 times
To criticize cities because of their weather is silly. (Some people like cool, comfortable days opposed to stifling humidity...but that is another thread). This thread is not on weather.com. It is about all the attributes of these metro areas. And, frankly, all three have many. I will also add that unlike many metros, all three are still growing and have great futures. I know that isn't what city vs. city is all about, but I will stand by that.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
To criticize cities because of their weather is silly. (Some people like cool, comfortable days opposed to stifling humidity...but that is another thread). This thread is not on weather.com. It is about all the attributes of these metro areas. And, frankly, all three have many. I will also add that unlike many metros, all three are still growing and have great futures. I know that isn't what city vs. city is all about, but I will stand by that.
It would be very difficult stand by that and at the same time write that people like you, (since you are from Seattle) like "cool and comfortable days" as opposed to the other people who like "stifling humidity.” However everyone knows that the vast majority of people take their vacation in warmer places, such as the Caribbean, Rio and Hawaii. These areas have similar type weather as the Southeast. However, very few people take their vacation in cold, rainy Seattle-type weather.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
Haha sure dude. Enjoy those overcast, miserable days. I'll enjoy the sun down here.

You know, there are a lot of people who like cloudy, chilly days. I'm one of them. I'm getting tired of summer here, and it only gets to like 85 degrees on average here in NY. Today it rained and was like 70 degrees. That's perfect to me. I spent 2 weeks traveling all over Greece a few weeks ago. Not a cloud in the sky the whole time, with 100 degree temps. I want rain even more now. My newlywed husband and I stand out in the rain sometimes because we enjoy it so much. I would love Seattle's weather. Not too hot and not too cold, and just enough rain for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City