Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM

83 posts, read 123,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If your idea of a good park is larger and more organized events being held, then sure (though GGP has a good list of yearly activities). If your opinions aren't strongly weighted towards those events though, I don't see how they are supposed to be in a separate league.
actualy golden gate park is larger.

and both of them were designed by the exact same man!

they are so different but simillar at the same time... definitely the same league... although i think presidio beats both of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM

83 posts, read 123,583 times
haah!!!!!!!!!!!! to bad ggpark came first!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislavie View Post
actualy golden gate park is larger.

and both of them were designed by the exact same man!

they are so different but simillar at the same time... definitely the same league... although i think presidio beats both of them!

i can see your confusion. the "larger" goes with "events" rather than "parks."

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 PM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Central Park by a landslide for me. GG park is sketchy as all hell. Tons of upper haight street kids living in the woods, smoking pot and harassing those that just wish to go for a stroll. GG also lacks the mystique that CP has. Nothing to me is more magical than CP. Whether jogging around the reservoir,walking in from the west 60s and seeing midtown sparkling beneath you or throwing a football around on the great lawn on a hot august afternoon, CP invokes a certain feeling that is really unmatched by GG park.

CP is also a center of cultural activities. Shakespeare in the park, The Met, CP zoo, museuam of natural hist borders CP on CPW and W 81st. There are constantly concerts, performers. You'll even run into impromptu deep house sessions and 70 random people dancing and rollerblading around to the groovy basslines. all ethnicities, smiling, dancing. It warms the heart. GG park just doesnt compete at this level. Plus, in NY, you really NEED CP. It is a refuge in the middle of an enormous city. The neighborhoods that surround CP are also much more dense and vibrant that surround CP. From midtown, the upper west and east sides respectively, lincoln center, harlem. Amazing.
Yes, the neighborhoods are denser around CP than GGP, but upper haight and several other sections that border GGP are also very, very urban compared to any other city in the country

Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
I wanted this thread discussed more in depth. I have visited both parks and give a huge edge to Central Park. Golden Gate Park is nice but is quite honestly completely out of their league on this one.

First, Central Park was created in 1837 and Golden Gate Park was created in 1870s. I am posting their dates created because it looks to me as if GGP copied the model from CP. Does anyone else notice this? You guys can't come up with your own model for a park so you go out and copy CP?

Second, Central Park is of high quality and has a good vibe. GGP was very unapealing with the amount of homeless hanging out. Also, the amount of normal citizens lurking under trees with long hair and playing hackie sack was odd. They looked as if they were the "Save the Earth" police and I couldn't stop myself from shouting out "get a job!". I visited hippie hill too and it was not fun because it lived up to it's name, the organic granola was flowing fluently. The other features I saw were Rainbow Falls, The Conservatory of Flowers and Strawberry Hill. Overall, GGP is a fun park but not on the level of CP, the hippie spirit lives on throughout GGP.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 08-14-2011 at 12:24 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 AM

291 posts, read 688,599 times
I used to live near Golden Gate Park. I would say that Central Park is way better than Golden Gate Park. Golden Gate Park has the cooler name though. The Golden Gate Bridge is by far the coolest bridge in the country. I miss it very much. I have to say though, New York City is a much better city then San Francisco. San Francisco is a pretty good city overall but it can't come close to beating New York. Maybe that is a big reason why I like Central Park better than Golden Gate Park because I like NYC way better than SF. Also, let me add that I think that the Bay to Breakers event is pretty cool.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
It's hard to beat Central Park (worldwide, not just GGP)... the views surrounded by some of the nicest areas of NYC are hard to beat. It is far more polished and better landscaped, not to mention it is lined with most of the best museums in the city. GGP might be a similar size, but outside of that I don't think they compare that much.
I think SF has better "nature" in the immediate area than NYC, that is no question and GGP has a more unmanicured feel to it...but as far as landscaped "city parks" go... Central Park has this pretty easily. If one wanted "great nature and views" in a park, there are many better places around SF area for that.
Central Park used to have some vagrants and such (not homeless that much, but just some "wildings" generally at night), but that hasn't been the case for well over a decade. GGP still has quite a few vagrants any time of day that take away from the experience. I care about the homeless and city issues, but when I want to go have a picnic under a tree or something, I don't really want some guy sleeping in a bush to come stumbling out.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Nothing beats Central Park. It just has a vibe that can't be surpassed.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
On this topic, Central Park wins utterly & completely, a total victory.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Central Park, its just more inline with the city, and it is awesome during the winter, not ugly and brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City