Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislavie View Post
actualy golden gate park is larger.

and both of them were designed by the exact same man!

they are so different but simillar at the same time... definitely the same league... although i think presidio beats both of them!
I know this is an old post but which man designed both? I am not really familar with the story of Golden Gate Park so I am curious.

I read several books about Central Park and how it was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux. You really wish all city parks were designed this way. Its sort of designed the way the old former Royal Parks are in Europe but with an American twist --- much of it is left in a natural condition.

They went on to design many parks aroud the USA and Canada, including the then rival City of Brooklyn's Prospect Park. I read somewhere that Olmsted said Prospect Park was his favorite.

But I never read Olmsted or Vaux did anything with Golden Gate Park, although he did some work around some California Universities. I was under the impression it was designed by Californians themselves, taking clues from Central Park of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
For a second I thought the second photo was Central Park with all the skyscrapers lopped off! I was wondering where they were, lmao. I didn't know GG park was rectangular, for some reason I thought it wasn't geometrically shaped?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Golden gate park would be cool if it was not for all the losers hanging around there.

Perhaps golden gate park is similar to Central park in the late 70's.

Don't get me wrong, smoking weed at hippy hill, taking some lsd at a festival or what ever... okay I get that. You want to have the cliche "I'm soooooo intoxicated in SF" experience. That's cool.

But the junkies, stew-bum winos, and spun out tweakers really ruins the enviornment. Not a place I would take my toddler and baby near at night. No way.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
Ruins it for me, too. As if legitimately homeless people (mental illness, tragedy) aren't a big enough problem.

But I'm wondering, has something like this happened at GG park? Prospect Park poachers busted - NYPOST.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Golden gate park would be cool if it was not for all the losers hanging around there.

Don't get me wrong, smoking weed at hippy hill, taking some lsd at a festival or what ever... okay I get that. You want to have the cliche "I'm soooooo intoxicated in SF" experience. That's cool.

But the junkies, stew-bum winos, and spun out tweakers really ruins the enviornment. Not a place I would take my toddler and baby near at night. No way.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
I like parks that have hills/mountains and hiking trails. Such as...

Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 AM

224 posts, read 347,432 times
let's be honest -- these two are the pinnacle of urban parks in the united states and any city could only dream of having them.

with that said, i give the nod to central park. it's more refined (good or bad), and lined by some of the most valuable and gorgeous real estate in the world.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Sadly SF has more of a problem with this: Man shot to death by BART officer identified - SFGate than New York does. In any normal city, shooting a violent bum who is attacking an officer with a knife would be justified. In San Francisco, it's being used as a pretext to creating a public disturbance. San Francisco's homeless problem needs to be addressed.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Sadly SF has more of a problem with this: Man shot to death by BART officer identified - SFGate than New York does. In any normal city, shooting a violent bum who is attacking an officer with a knife would be justified. In San Francisco, it's being used as a pretext to creating a public disturbance. San Francisco's homeless problem needs to be addressed.
The problem is that homeless flock to california naturally. The weather is mild and the hand outs are plentiful. The best way for a city to get rid of some of their homeless is to give them a one way greyhound ticket to CA.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:

I ran in GGP three or four times a week for a year and a half and never was approached by any of these people. They tend to congregate in one area closer to Haight and don't make it very far west, usually... I never got asked for change in the park that I can recall.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 AM

From what I have read, one of the biggest problems the homeless face is that the shelter systems are overrun with crime, even gangs, who prey on the weaker homeless. Downtown CBD's actually afford more protection to the homeless than the 'official' system. Maybe that's simplifying things, but it's my take-away. The interview I read was with a man who is homeless in Central Park.

Quote:
The problem is that homeless flock to california naturally. The weather is mild and the hand outs are plentiful. The best way for a city to get rid of some of their homeless is to give them a one way greyhound ticket to CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City