Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up on the west side of the city GGP was a huge part of my life both growing up (sports practices & games / activities & field trips) and through high school (sports again but more importantly Friday & Saturday nights ) to my early 20s. Everyone I grew up with still drinks there a few times a month high school style (but more day drinking / after work).

I always assumed Central Park was a bigger deal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 PM

592 posts, read 828,427 times
I've only been to Central Park once, and it was in the winter, so perhaps that isn't the best time of year to visit. Although there is more to do surrounding Central Park, there definitely seemed to be more attractions inside of Golden Gate Park. They both have a different vibe, and I do love Central Park, but I feel like you can spend a lot more time in Golden Gate Park because there are more museums and attractions in the park itself.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
I've only been to Central Park once, and it was in the winter, so perhaps that isn't the best time of year to visit. Although there is more to do surrounding Central Park, there definitely seemed to be more attractions inside of Golden Gate Park. They both have a different vibe, and I do love Central Park, but I feel like you can spend a lot more time in Golden Gate Park because there are more museums and attractions in the park itself.
Running right alongside Central Park is the "Museum Mile" section of Fifth Ave. with 9 museums including the Guggenheim and the Met. You can just walk cross the street and you're there. Or, people often check out one of the museums, stop by the cafe inside to grab a sandwich, cross the street and pick a spot in the Park for an impromptu picnic.

Some of the attractions in Central Park:

The Great Lawn - great place to throw a frisbee or lay out. also site of NY Phil annual concert in the Park.
The Zoo
Strawberry Fields
The Reservoir
Belvedere Castle
Sheep Meadow
Bethesda Terrace
Shakespeare Garden
Mother Goose Statue
The Boathouse - where you can rent rowboats

Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
Running right alongside Central Park is the "Museum Mile" section of Fifth Ave. with 9 museums including the Guggenheim and the Met. You can just walk cross the street and you're there. Or, people often check out one of the museums, stop by the cafe inside to grab a sandwich, cross the street and pick a spot in the Park for an impromptu picnic.

Some of the attractions in Central Park:

The Great Lawn - great place to throw a frisbee or lay out. also site of NY Phil annual concert in the Park.
The Zoo
Strawberry Fields
The Reservoir
Belvedere Castle
Sheep Meadow
Bethesda Terrace
Shakespeare Garden
Mother Goose Statue
The Boathouse - where you can rent rowboats
The Met is actually on the side of the street that Central Park is on--it's basically enclosed on three sides by Central Park.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
I've never even heard of Golden Gate Park until now, but it looks really nice.

Central Park is a classic, though. It's amazing being in such a large, green, pretty quiet (depending on where exactly you are) space in the middle of the most urban, dense, populated and popular city in America. IMO it's beautiful in all seasons and there is stuff to do all year round. 18Montclair was under the impression pages ago that it's either ridiculously hot and humid in NYC/CP or freezing… um, bud we have 4 seasons. There are a variety of temperatures and conditions you can find throughout the year, including multiple within the same season. March, for example, can either be very mild and springlike or pretty cold - or both, like it is this year. We've had days where it's hit 60-70, and days where it's been 25-40. Summer has its hot, humid days, but it also has more mild days and chillier, breezy nights. It's never just hot or freezing. And either way, there are things to do in every season, for every type of weather condition. And there are baseball fields in Central Park, as well as (outdoor) ice skating rinks, but I'm not sure about any other "sports facilities".

Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Central Park by far.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I've never even heard of Golden Gate Park until now, but it looks really nice.

Central Park is a classic, though. It's amazing being in such a large, green, pretty quiet (depending on where exactly you are) space in the middle of the most urban, dense, populated and popular city in America. IMO it's beautiful in all seasons and there is stuff to do all year round. 18Montclair was under the impression pages ago that it's either ridiculously hot and humid in NYC/CP or freezing… um, bud we have 4 seasons. There are a variety of temperatures and conditions you can find throughout the year, including multiple within the same season. March, for example, can either be very mild and springlike or pretty cold - or both, like it is this year. We've had days where it's hit 60-70, and days where it's been 25-40. Summer has its hot, humid days, but it also has more mild days and chillier, breezy nights. It's never just hot or freezing. And either way, there are things to do in every season, for every type of weather condition. And there are baseball fields in Central Park, as well as (outdoor) ice skating rinks, but I'm not sure about any other "sports facilities".
WOW, never heard of Golden Gate Park, you gotta get out of Jersey. GGP is larger than Central Park, equally stunning, great amenities , museums, gardens, sports facilities, and is in the middle of the 2nd densest city in America. And it's 60-75 degrees everyday!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
WOW, never heard of Golden Gate Park, you gotta get out of Jersey. GGP is larger than Central Park, equally stunning, great amenities , museums, gardens, sports facilities, and is in the middle of the 2nd densest city in America. And it's 60-75 degrees everyday!
Golden Gate Park is simply not as well known. It can't be helped. I also find that a lot of people expect the Golden Gate Bridge to be somehow attached to Golden Gate Park.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-26-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Golden Gate Park is simply not as well known. It can't be helped. I also find that a lot of people expect the Golden Gate Bridge to be somehow attached to Golden Gate Park.

No I realize that its not as well known, but never heard of it?! Have we all heard of Millenium Park in Chicago? I think GG Park is more well know than it. And GG Park and GG Bridge are not named after each other, I guess a tourist who's never been could think that for a minute.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No I realize that its not as well known, but never heard of it?! Have we all heard of Millenium Park in Chicago? I think GG Park is more well know than it. And GG Park and GG Bridge are not named after each other, I guess a tourist who's never been could think that for a minute.
I don't think everyone's heard of Millennium Park either since everyone is a lot of people. I'm defining not as well known as in a smaller number of people have heard of Golden Gate Park in relation to Central Park--which means that, yes, there would have to be people who haven't heard of Golden Gate Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City