Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 PM

375 posts, read 331,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Also, doesn't help that most of the women you meet live nowhere near you.
About 8 years ago, when I lived in LA, I met the girl of my dreams. Or so I thought at that age because physically she was all I wanted. Tall (I'm tall myself), blonde, light freckles, and a lingerie model.

The problem? She lived in Glendale, me in Manhattan Beach. 8 years ago, traffic was a nightmare that it transformed our relationship into a "long distance" one Lot's of calling. I remember one morning leaving her place bright and early to get to work only to have some fool run a stop sign and side swipe my car

As a result, our relationship did not last. That, and everything they say about blondes is true.

My story is from 8 years ago, god knows what the traffic for that commute is like today during rushhour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
True. The early last call is a California law right? What a shame if so because its pathetic
It is really pathetic. I can see it for other average States, but IMO California deserves a later last call. Imagine what an amazing nightlife scene California could have if it didn’t shut down so extremely early. I never understood it. I guess what those other posters said about it car-centric areas makes sense.

Come to think of it, the entire West Coast is pretty lacking in nightlife cities. Unless you count Vegas as west coast, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch. I’m sure Vegas benefits greatly from all the Californians that come in on weekends for nightlife though.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
NYC
Chicago
Miami
Vegas
New Orleans

STEEP drop-off after that.

People including Boston, SF, Los Mangeles, Philly, Toronto, Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc are trolling, right? All of those cities have an embarrassing closing time of 2 AM which is the antithesis to quality nightlife.
You’re not wrong, but we are pretty lacking in nightlife cities in US + Canada that I’m not even sure it’s possible to name 10 without picking from a few of those. I think that every list should start with the 5 that you named plus Montreal. After that though it doesn’t really matter.

On a separate note, for anyone that’s been to Mexico City, how is the nightlife scene and where would you rank it?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with you two guys. SD still suffers from the embarrassingly early closing time, sprawl, and really bad gender ratios but it’s still better than Los Mangeles, especially due to everything being located on one street in the Gassy Lamp.
Hello? Little Italy, Old Town, Hillcrest & North Park beg to differ.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You’re not wrong, but we are pretty lacking in nightlife cities in US + Canada that I’m not even sure it’s possible to name 10 without picking from a few of those. I think that every list should start with the 5 that you named plus Montreal. After that though it doesn’t really matter.

On a separate note, for anyone that’s been to Mexico City, how is the nightlife scene and where would you rank it?
Louisville has a 4AM last call, it has potential. If I get rich and bored, I'll open up a few clubs there so it has variety.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 AM

398 posts, read 381,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Hello? Little Italy, Old Town, Hillcrest & North Park beg to differ.
Sorry man. I’ve only been to SD twice. I think the Gassy Lamp is the main nightlife district.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 AM

398 posts, read 381,829 times
Quote:
It is really pathetic. I can see it for other average States, but IMO California deserves a later last call. Imagine what an amazing nightlife scene California could have if it didn’t shut down so extremely early. I never understood it. I guess what those other posters said about it car-centric areas makes sense.

Come to think of it, the entire West Coast is pretty lacking in nightlife cities. Unless you count Vegas as west coast, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch. I’m sure Vegas benefits greatly from all the Californians that come in on weekends for nightlife though.
That’s dead on, regarding the West Coast. It’s funny; my anti-Los Mangeles thread ended up morphing into an anti-West Coast thread.

Horrible nightlife, bad ratios, horrific sprawl, lack of foot traffic (outside of SF), and mostly unattractive women outside of SoCal.

Yup, Vegas is absolutely not West Coast. Doesn’t border the Pacific Ocean.

Your last paragraph is dead on, fam. Here’s what I wrote 7 months ago when it was confirmed that the Raiders were moving to Las Vegas:

“The real winner here is Los Angeles. Los Angelenos already head to Vegas half the weekends of the year to escape LA's awful nightlife, sprawl, traffic, and fake people.”

Anyone that has lived in LA can confirm that the traffic is the lightest on Friday and Saturday nights. You know a city sucks when the majority of the city empties out as soon as the work week is up and they have some free time.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry man. I’ve only been to SD twice. I think the Gassy Lamp is the main nightlife district.
It's for tourists, the other neighborhoods I mentioned are where the locals go. Old Town gets a lot of tourists due to its amazing Mexican restaurants, but even there it's majority locals.

The real San Diego can be experienced in these hoods, check them out the next time you're in town.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
“Los Angelenos already head to Vegas half the weekends of the year to escape LA's awful nightlife, sprawl, traffic, and fake people.”
OMG!!! Thanks for making me spray me drink with this bizarre claim.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Portland has a good bar and music scene and last call in Oregon is an amazing half hour later than the other west coast states.

Los Angeles has several places in Koreatown, and probably elsewhere that is somehow able to skirt the law. I do think nightlife in LA has gotten better and I attribute parts of that to building higher-density mixed use development, metro rail running until 2 on weekends, and rideshare apps. It’s maybe nearing the bottom of the top ten now if we’re talking just US and Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City