Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
1. NYC
2. Las Vegas
3. Miami
4. Austin
5. Los Angeles
6. Dallas
7. Atlanta
9. Denver
10. San Francisco

I haven't been old enough to go out in Montreal or Toronto while visiting so can't say :-( Let's be a clear after Dallas, there isn't much competition.
I'm really wondering how many of these places you've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 PM

405 posts, read 476,427 times
I'd also like to add that I found Los Angeles to be very UNDERwhelming in the nightlife spectrum, given the fact that it's the 2nd biggest city in the country and a pretty iconic American city.

Obviously the sprawl of the city has to do with it, but come on. Taxi service was very average, overpriced drinks, and just the overall scene was very okay, nothing great. I thought San Diego was better honestly.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:10 PM

375 posts, read 332,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I'd also like to add that I found Los Angeles to be very UNDERwhelming in the nightlife spectrum, given the fact that it's the 2nd biggest city in the country and a pretty iconic American city.

Obviously the sprawl of the city has to do with it, but come on. Taxi service was very average, overpriced drinks, and just the overall scene was very okay, nothing great. I thought San Diego was better honestly.
Yes, San Diego has fairly good nightlife considering how suburban the city is and the fact you're contending with a late call of 2am (effectively 1:30am). I think it helps it's such a large military town.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:20 PM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
I agree 100% with you two guys. SD still suffers from the embarrassingly early closing time, sprawl, and really bad gender ratios but it’s still better than Los Mangeles, especially due to everything being located on one street in the Gassy Lamp.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
I agree 100% with you two guys. SD still suffers from the embarrassingly early closing time, sprawl, and really bad gender ratios but it’s still better than Los Mangeles, especially due to everything being located on one street in the Gassy Lamp.
True. The early last call is a California law right? What a shame if so because its pathetic

Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
True. The early last call is a California law right? What a shame if so because its pathetic
In car oriented places (like California) you need a early late call so drunk drivers will be confined to a smaller time window. If there is any place in California to experiment with a later last call, it should be San Francisco. The only true "car free" city in California.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I think the gender ratio is worse in San Diego than Los Angeles, that is if you're a heterosexual male. San Diego is called Man Diego afterall

Los Angeles has better nightlife than San Diego in some senses but when we compare sizes, Los Angeles is woefully deficient. Not only is LA America's second largest city but it's home to Hollywood and has great weather. But at the end of the day, LA is all "work and no play." A lot of those Hollywood jobs (not to mention crazy traffic) requires people to be up and about at 5am if not earlier.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
In car oriented places (like California) you need a early late call so drunk drivers will be confined to a smaller time window. If there is any place in California to experiment with a later last call, it should be San Francisco. The only true "car free" city in California.
Definitely. Very compact, walkable city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I think the gender ratio is worse in San Diego than Los Angeles, that is if you're a heterosexual male. San Diego is called Man Diego afterall

Los Angeles has better nightlife than San Diego in some senses but when we compare sizes, Los Angeles is woefully deficient. Not only is LA America's second largest city but it's home to Hollywood and has great weather. But at the end of the day, LA is all "work and no play." A lot of those Hollywood jobs (not to mention crazy traffic) requires people to be up and about at 5am if not earlier.
Indeed! You're gonna love my thread, haha:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-city-men.html

The traffic and sprawl are truly brutal. Sure, it's a large city. But it doesn't translate well to a fun environment when you have the population spread over such a massive area. Also, doesn't help that most of the women you meet live nowhere near you.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Definitely. Very compact, walkable city.

Indeed! You're gonna love my thread, haha:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-city-men.html

The traffic and sprawl are truly brutal. Sure, it's a large city. But it doesn't translate well to a fun environment when you have the population spread over such a massive area. Also, doesn't help that most of the women you meet live nowhere near you.
Good point here. People like to say the same about NYC (for example, you live in the Upper West Side and she lives in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn), but obviously subways are very easy to navigate (even when drunk, IMO) and they run efficiently 24/7. LA is an uber city (for now, I know they are working on a more efficient transit system), and depending on just that can be very annoying and expensive.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Good point here. People like to say the same about NYC (for example, you live in the Upper West Side and she lives in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn), but obviously subways are very easy to navigate (even when drunk, IMO) and they run efficiently 24/7. LA is an uber city (for now, I know they are working on a more efficient transit system), and depending on just that can be very annoying and expensive.
Exactly. Even with that damn Uber pool, you can be ripped off to the tune of $25+ depending on how far you’re going and how rough the traffic is.

A subway ride is a flat $2.75 in NYC and a flat $2.25, no matter how many stops you take. Oh, yeah. If you switch lines in Chicago, you’re billed an additional whopping $0.25 on your Ventra card. 😂😂😂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City