Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 08:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Adele & Ed Sheeran are without a question larger than her. They outsell her in the US let alone on a global/international scale.

I agree they don’t have to be qualified as “black celebrities” as that context is only used when Atlanta is brought up. Celebrities are celebrities whether they are AA, White, Indian, Asian, Latin, etc..
How are you measuring this. I don’t think it’s an absolute truth that Adele or Ed Sheeran “are without a question larger than” Beyoncé if we’re talking about overall celebrity. If you are talking about music sales, maybe, but I view celebrity as more of a “brand.”

A crude way to look at this is Instagram followers. Beyoncé has almost 275 million compared to Ed Sheeran and Adele having 40-50 million each. So Beyoncé has over 5 times as many followers as them combined.

Again, this is a crude measure, but in terms of overall celebrity (not strictly sales), I would place Beyoncé above both Adele and Ed Sheeran. Beyoncé has held #1 spots in China over long stretches, which is a big plus for her global brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 09:30 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Atlanta in the same ballpark as Miami, NYC or LA? Not even remotely.

They are global iconic meccas of wealth and status that attract celebrities on global scale from every corner of industry. Atlanta does not and that’s objectively fair.

It doesn’t make Atlanta lesser and it’s not “telling on oneself”. Does Atlanta have widespread national appeal and pull to all races? Unequivocally. But its not to the same scale on a national level let alone international whether we are included AA influence or not.
Atlanta has a much more developed economy than Miami. Miami is actually a relatively poor and uneducated city outside the tourist zone.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:41 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslac View Post
Chicago, Houston, New York City, Nashville, Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
NYC
Chicago
Las Vegas
Miami
Atlanta
New Orleans
Nashville
Honolulu?
I don't consider Chicago particularly celebrity-centric at all. We've certainly produced our share of celebrities but they usually leave for one New York or LA once they strike it big, maybe keeping a condo here so they can come "home" a couple times a year. In fact I've heard a couple celebrities remark they like visiting Chicago because they can walk around and enjoy the city without getting mobbed by fans wherever they go.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Based on the OP I was viewing this as essentially where do celebs orbit and where are you likely to see them. They don't have to live there. They just have to frequent there, whether for work or vacation. This viewpoint boosts Vancouver, Atlanta, Vegas, and Miami in my personal rankings. If you're answering where do they live most of the time then of course your rankings are different.
I still think only a small fraction of the celebrities in places like LA and NYC ever visit Vegas on a regular or even infrequent basis. I would imagine most of them, like most of us, don’t find Vegas to be particularly appealing. And if they don’t NEED to be there, why would they go? I would say this is even more true for a higher level celebrity where the world is their oyster.

But of course, many celebrities do like Vegas and all it has to offer. I’ll also say that Vegas is very celebrity-focused as part of its tourism industry, but it’s also a lot of smoke and mirrors, much like Vegas itself.

Edited to add: But - maybe this is the “celebrity culture” the OP is referring to, as manufactured and processed as it may be.

Last edited by Bluefox; 08-22-2022 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 10:00 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Atlanta has a much more developed economy than Miami. Miami is actually a relatively poor and uneducated city outside the tourist zone.
I’m aware Atlanta has a much more developed and robust economy.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
How are you measuring this. I don’t think it’s an absolute truth that Adele or Ed Sheeran “are without a question larger than” Beyoncé if we’re talking about overall celebrity. If you are talking about music sales, maybe, but I view celebrity as more of a “brand.”

A crude way to look at this is Instagram followers. Beyoncé has almost 275 million compared to Ed Sheeran and Adele having 40-50 million each. So Beyoncé has over 5 times as many followers as them combined.

Again, this is a crude measure, but in terms of overall celebrity (not strictly sales), I would place Beyoncé above both Adele and Ed Sheeran. Beyoncé has held #1 spots in China over long stretches, which is a big plus for her global brand.
If Twitter followers are any barometer (I'd say it is), Adele (27.6M) has 12 million more followers than Beyonce (15.6M). That's nearly double as many.

Ed Sheeran has 2 million more followers than Beyonce, so not quite as big a gap, but still more.

Saying Beyonce is a bigger celebrity is really just an Americanized perspective of things. On a global scale Adele is far more famous than Beyonce, and Ed Sheeran is a bit larger too.

Last edited by CCrest182; 08-23-2022 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 01:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I don't consider Chicago particularly celebrity-centric at all. We've certainly produced our share of celebrities but they usually leave for one New York or LA once they strike it big, maybe keeping a condo here so they can come "home" a couple times a year. In fact I've heard a couple celebrities remark they like visiting Chicago because they can walk around and enjoy the city without getting mobbed by fans wherever they go.
I think Chicago was more celebrity centric in the 80's and 90's than it is now, thanks to Oprah at one point living there and producing her show there, Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen/Dennis Rodman Bulls, Jerry Springer was filmed there, R Kelly, and a few more. But I would have to agree Chicago has fallen quite a bit in terms of being a celebrity city, though there are a few celebrities who still have rep Chicago a lot. Bill Murray, Chance the Rapper, Kanye West, to some extent Obama. Most of the celebrities do have local ties of course.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
That’s actually an uneducated comment by you regarding Miami and/or you don't know much about it. Not sure what that has to do with celebrity appeal either. You seem to have Miami confused with Tijuana.

Most celebrities, including athletes, live in areas such as Cocoplum, Gables Estates, Coconut Grove, Star Island, Venetian Islands, Palm Island, Sunset Islands, Key Biscayne, Fisher Island, Indian Creek, La Gorce, etc etc—hardly part of the "tourist zone' (Ocean Drive??) and what I would call poor or a few pockets….celebs aren’t moving to Homestead just as they don’t move to Chamblee...celebs also tend to like bling which Miami offers more of (more exclusive real estate, yachts, more exclusive high end brand shopping standalone boutiques, more celeb see and be seen restaurants and clubs, etc)....plenty of visiting celebs for annual global appeal events such as Art Basel, Formula 1, Ultra, SoBe Wine & Food Festival, Miami Open, International Boat Show, etc etc throughout the county.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-23-2022 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 03:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
If Twitter followers are any barometer (I'd say it is), Adele (27.6M) has 12 million more followers than Beyonce (15.6M). That's nearly double as many.

Ed Sheeran has 2 million more followers than Beyonce, so not quite as big a gap, but still more.

Saying Beyonce is a bigger celebrity is really just an Americanized perspective of things. On a global scale Adele is far more famous than Beyonce, and Ed Sheeran is a bit larger too.
I think Instagram is more of a barometer of popularity than Twitter, Beyoncé with 273 million followers, which is almost 5x what Adele has (Twitter is more of a news and discord/debate platform, vs Instagram which is used to follow a “celebrity’s life” through pictures)

How are you measuring that Adele is more popular on a global scale? What numbers are you using?

My initial post was just to say that I can see how Adele may be bigger on some levels, but I don’t think I would say she is “without a question larger” or “far more famous” than Beyoncé. I’d say they are in the same level. I’m not sure how it’s an “Americanized” perspective to think that Beyoncé is on the same level as Adele. Again, the Instagram followers would show that.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:06 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Btw, I assume athletes count as celebrities….Not a surprise but Ronaldo and Messi dwarf Lebron (even the singers mentioned) on Instagram to point out Americanization as measured by followers.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-23-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City