Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF or Houston?
San Francisco, California 141 77.05%
Houston, Texas 42 22.95%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
dude... ? these are categories, not top hospitals...

The fact is SF Bay has 2 hospitals ranked ahead of any in Houston area.
I was actually in Houston recently and on the airplane there was some stuff about how Houston was glad to now be one of the top 20...
The Houston hospitals are top hospitals, outside of the general category.

What else is "Texas Children's" going to have besides pediatrics?

The list is impressive even so, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical district in the world, and is the city's largest employer. To belittle the medical scene as if it's insignificant... and the culture as if there is none... and so on... is just stupid. I'm not saying Houston is the better city, I'm saying most people on here are clueless about Houston and are talking out of their butts.
This whole thread is stupid and I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down yet for being "too vague" from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The Houston hospitals are top hospitals, outside of the general category.

What else is "Texas Children's" going to have besides pediatrics?

The list is impressive even so, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical district in the world, and is the city's largest employer. To belittle the medical scene as if it's insignificant... and the culture as if there is none... and so on... is just stupid. I'm not saying Houston is the better city, I'm saying most people on here are clueless about Houston and are talking out of their butts.
This whole thread is stupid and I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down yet for being "too vague" from the start.
If you felt this whole thread was "stupid" why did you feel the need to respond to it then? Just curious

Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
If you felt this whole thread was "stupid" why did you feel the need to respond to it then? Just curious
Believe me, I was on the fence about it.
But to answer your question more specifically -- because I saw such blatant misinformation I felt needed to be corrected.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM

116 posts, read 245,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well providing for your poor and the needy is the good thing to do and California is willing to take on debt in order to do that.

Unlike some states which talk the talk but walk like the Devil.

Oops.
Problem is it doesn't appear to be working because California has a much bigger homeless problem than Texas from what I've seen.

California also has much higher unemployment, much higher taxes, and a huge budget deficit while the 2010 budget deficit in Texas looks like it will be balanced according to what I've read in the news.

California >>> Texas in just about everything, including cities, but let's get realistic here, your government is a total mess.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle12 View Post
Which is better?

I'd have to go with San Francisco.....better climate; too hot in Houston.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Problem is it doesn't appear to be working because California has a much bigger homeless problem than Texas from what I've seen.
That's because they all come here from all over the country. We didnt make them homeless.

Quote:
California also has much higher unemployment, much higher taxes, and a huge budget deficit while the 2010 budget deficit in Texas looks like it will be balanced according to what I've read in the news.
Like I said-we are willing to take on debt to provide for the poor and sick. And when the economy improves so will our budget problems.

That's life.

Furthermore, you act as if our current economic state is the norm. In fact its not. On the Contrary, our state GDP has increased by $700 Billion since 2001. We are not in decline, our economy is not contracting and our population continues to grow.

Quote:
California >>> Texas in just about everything, including cities, but let's get realistic here, your government is a total mess.
Our government is fine and the worst part of the CA state govt is the exaggerated media coverage it receives-perfect no, functional, yes.

The problem is that our budget is held up every year because it requires a two-thirds majority of both houses of the state legislature to pass as opposed to a simple majority like most other states.

And so the republican minority takes advantage of that oppurtunity to make noise and hold up the budget since dems don't have a 66% majority.

But other than that, I don't really know what mess it is you speak of?

Last edited by 18Montclair; 09-25-2009 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Seriously if you find youself homeless California is the best state for it. In my job occupation I deal with a lot of homeless Veterans and a majority of them are not even from the state of California. The weather is very mild so you are not going to freeze during the winter and you are not going to suffer heat strokes during the summer because it doesn't get too hot.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle12 View Post
Which is better?

For the tens of thousands of homeless who arrive in San Fco every year, San Fco is better.
For the 100,000 people or more who arrive in Houston every year to work and to improve their living standard, Houston is better.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
For the tens of thousands of homeless who arrive in San Fco every year, San Fco is better.
For the 100,000 people or more who arrive in Houston every year to work and to improve their living standard, Houston is better.
And let the flaming begin...

Old 09-25-2009, 12:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
And let the flaming begin...

Thats right, pass the blame for the flame war to someone from Houston

It was started long ago (see post 8) by someone from Chicago and soon followed by someone from SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City