Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF or Houston?
San Francisco, California 141 77.05%
Houston, Texas 42 22.95%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Radio Stations in San Jose CA

Seems that very few are from SF
Trust me there are plenty that are from SF. I listen to them everyday...I know . Anyways I guess I will not be able to get it through your head that San Jose is apart of the SF Bay Area...even though I live here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
I swear, Houston should win an award for the absolute worst PR in the country.

People know about the completely unscientific Men's Fitness Magazine fat cities list from several years ago (really, do people actually buy this stuff? Please check CDC statistics instead), all the BS from the 2000 election, think the only industry is oil, there's no culture or food aside from BBQ, blah blah blah. What's next, we all ride horses to work?

This is what irks me so much about city-data. The name implies this is a place to get real DATA, or information. It's available on here outside of the forums! It states Houston is the 4th largest US city, ranks 2nd after NYC in number of fortune 500 firms, and keeps attracting a larger and larger population. What on earth would give people the idea that it's such a backwater?

These forums are anything but real information, most of the time (at least in the case of Houston, and Texas for that matter.)

Houston is only known for the so-called negatives. Half of which aren't even true, from what I see on here. How about the museum district, which ranks 3rd in the country for amount of fine arts museum space? How about the fact that Houston is one of only a handful of cities in the country with permanent symphony, ballet, theater and opera? How's that for no culture? Want something quirkier? Ever heard of the Art Car Parade? The Menil Collection? Probably not. Think there's only BBQ? How many realize Houston is ranked #4-#6 in the country (depending on the publication) for its restaurant scene? Think Houston is only oil? Did you know that the city's larger employer is actually the Texas Medical Center? Need I go on? Why, oh why? I know these have been posted numerous times here before. Do we all just have selective memory when it comes to Houston? Oh that's right, we only remember the negative (and it's always embellished, isn't it...)

What's even more shameful, is that many of the detractors who feel the need to spew this ignorance in such a rude way are from some of the supposedly most enlightened, well-educated parts of the country. That's just sad. Really, really sad.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
This folks is why these threads become flame wars....

..... with dumb statements like this
Call it what you want.

Unless you can prove to me otherwise, I don't think this is a fair comparison and will state so without personal insults like you do.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Unless you can prove to me otherwise[/b]
I think I've proven that a few here have no idea what they're talking about.

The result?

(hearing crickets....)

Not surprising.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I swear, Houston should win an award for the absolute worst PR in the country.

People know about the completely unscientific Men's Fitness Magazine fat cities list from several years ago (really, do people actually buy this stuff? Please check CDC statistics instead), all the BS from the 2000 election, think the only industry is oil, there's no culture or food aside from BBQ, blah blah blah. What's next, we all ride horses to work?

This is what irks me so much about city-data. The name implies this is a place to get real DATA, or information. It's available on here outside of the forums! It states Houston is the 4th largest US city, ranks 2nd after NYC in number of fortune 500 firms, and keeps attracting a larger and larger population. What on earth would give people the idea that it's such a backwater?

These forums are anything but real information, most of the time (at least in the case of Houston, and Texas for that matter.)

Houston is only known for the so-called negatives. Half of which aren't even true, from what I see on here. How about the museum district, which ranks 3rd in the country for amount of fine arts museum space? How about the fact that Houston is one of only a handful of cities in the country with permanent symphony, ballet, theater and opera? How's that for no culture? Want something quirkier? Ever heard of the Art Car Parade? The Menil Collection? Probably not. Think there's only BBQ? How many realize Houston is ranked #4-#6 in the country (depending on the publication) for its restaurant scene? Think Houston is only oil? Did you know that the city's larger employer is actually the Texas Medical Center? Need I go on? Why, oh why? I know these have been posted numerous times here before. Do we all just have selective memory when it comes to Houston? Oh that's right, we only remember the negative (and it's always embellished, isn't it...)

What's even more shameful, is that many of the detractors who feel the need to spew this ignorance in such a rude way are from some of the supposedly most enlightened, well-educated parts of the country. That's just sad. Really, really sad.
This is so true, I agree 100%.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Look up the Texas Medical Center. It's soon to become larger than downtown Dallas by some accounts, and it's the largest medical district in the world.
And so why isnt any Houston Hospital at least in USNWRs ranking of Top 10 Hospitals?

Quote:
So is Houston. Prove otherwise.
Oh Houston is a powerhouse, but the Bay Area a bigger one.

Prove otherwise. I know that must hurt to people who preoccupy themselves with size so much.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Trust me there are plenty that are from SF. I listen to them everyday...I know . Anyways I guess I will not be able to get it through your head that San Jose is apart of the SF Bay Area...even though I live here

You might as well call it the San Jose bay area because SJ is more important

According to the MSA, SJ is its own metro, but you know better than people who do these things for a living

Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And so why isnt any Houston Hospital at least in USNWRs ranking of Top 10 Hospitals?

Oh Houston is a powerhouse, but the Bay Area a bigger one.

Prove otherwise. I know that must hurt to people who preoccupy themselves with size so much.

Seems as though you are pretty preoccupied with size yourself

Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sf has 2 hospitals ranked in top 20, ucsf is higher ranked than anything in houston, as is Stanford...7 and 15 in the u.s. respectively. sf has a bigger oil company than any in houston (chevron) so the 2 industries houston touts as their #1s get beat by sf? hummm.
Quote:
UCSF Medical Center and Stanford Hospital are world class teaching hospitals and both rank in the Top 20 nationwide, UCSF is in the Top 10-none from Houston are in the Top 10.
REALLY??

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is #1 in the nation for the cancer category. It's also #5 for Gynecology.
Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's is #6 in the nation for Heart.
Texas Children's is #5 for Pediatrics.
Menninger is #6 for Psychiatry.
TIRR at Memorial Hermann is #5 for Rehabilitation.

That's just the TOP TEN. Need I go into the top 20?

US News Rankings

Quote:
Don't hate, congratulate.
Speak for yourself.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
You might as well call it the San Jose bay area because SJ is more important

According to the MSA, SJ is its own metro, but you know better than people who do these things for a living
Quick question have you actually ever been the Bay Area? San Jose might be more important tech wise but SF shapes the culture of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City